back to article Anonymous vows to avenge Charlie Hebdo massacre by blitzing jihadist sites

Some members of Anonymous have vowed to avenge the Charlie Hebdo killings in Paris by taking down jihadist websites. A video uploaded to the web by the group's Belgian wing also promises to scrub social networks of accounts promoting violent jihad. A statement announcing Op Charlie Hebdo, addressed to “enemies of freedom of …

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Interesting

Regardless of who or what Anonymous are truly capable of, I think that what is interesting here is the incredibly large solidarity that is currently being expressed from all walks of life.

Nous sommes Charlie

1. Brandon 2

Re: Interesting

Nothing brings people together like a common enemy.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Conard - je ne suis jamais Charlie. Parce que ils sont racistes vulgaires et ils n'ont pas d'esprit.

No I am not Charlie - because I am not an adolescent xeonphobic twat who uses "satire" as a fig leaf to indulge is a bit of race hatred. These guys indulged in hatred of my community and ethnicity, so I can not identify with these dicks.

So while I can condemn the actions of the gunmen, I can not not join in the rather meaningless wank of "Je suis Charlie".

1. pryonic

Well your first mistake there is accusing Charlie Hebdo of racism: Islam is a relgion not a race and there are Muslims of every race and nationality.

And because it is a religion, not a race, it is open to questioning, satire and maybe ever some "hatred" like all concious choices. You don't choose your skin colour, sexual orientation or to have have any disabilities and so these topics should not be satirsed - but concious choices like your political affiliation, the football team you support, whether you use Vi or Emac and your religion are open to scrutinity and satire.

Also - have you seen any of the cartoons they published? The vast majority are not insulting to Mohammad and are mostly poking fun at those who think it's ok to warp his teachings to the levels that it's ok to murder 16 innocent people who drew something on a piece of paper. (How weak must their faith be if a cartoon can hurt them so?)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There is no claim that Islam is a race. However, if one wants to be racist and the people one dislikes are generally of a particular religion, then one can attack them using the cover of religion. This is what they did - it is the fashionable way to be racist.

1. pryonic

When they attack the Pope (http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2015-01/7/10/enhanced/webdr03/enhanced-15679-1420643314-17.png), the English, (http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2015-01/7/10/enhanced/webdr04/enhanced-32502-1420644540-1.jpg) or Jews (http://www.haaretz.co.il/st/inter/Heng/news/images/covers/3.jpg) are they also being racist?

Coming originally from a town with many racial problems (Burney) I do understand what you are getting at and using religion as a form of racism does exist - but I can see no evidence that is what has happened in the Charlie Hebdo case.

2. Bernard M. Orwell

Some points:

This anon didn't say he was Muslim, just that his community and ethnicity had been slurred. Charlie Hebdo had a strong reputation for attacking just about everyone with their satirical publication, so this commentard might be anyone; gay, british, American, Chinese, disabled etc. etc. Let's not jump to conclusions about who the offended party is.

Secondly, to the commentard in question; these were *not* adolescents. They were both over 70 years old and had survived the worst of what much of the world can throw. They expressed this experience in art and words and were not targeting any specific group exclusively. I would hesitate to condemn their satire as frivolous or shallow.

Perspective and reason please, people.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

OK, two thoughts here: Firstly Anonymous interfering with Islamist websites/twitter risks disrupting security authorities intelligence gathering.

Secondly - this is an issue for the Muslim community as a whole. Rolling out spokesmen on the news media to tell us Islam is a peace loving religion and selectively quoting the Quran is wearing thin especially when others present us with other quotes apparently supportive of practices which are anathema to civilised society.

As for the defence that "it's a tiny minority" we should look at the wider situation. The so called "minority" of "bad muslims" includes Boko Harum, ISIS, several Middle Eastern and African states where "Sharia Law" imposes medieval punishments and repressive rules on women. It seems to me that "tiny minority" is not an accurate representation.

As regards the "good muslims" I recall their muted response to the 11 Sept 2001 outrage when I even heard statements from the same people who tell me "Islam is a peace loving religion" like "...yes but the Americans had it coming...". I'm no apologist for the USA, but 11 Sept was not the response of "a peace loving religion".

The immigration and integration problems of Western Europe seem to be laid at the foot of the those countries and their indigenous population who have become hosts to this alien religion. The boot should be on the other foot. If you wish to join a society it is your responsibility to integrate not ours to change to accommodate you.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doesn't fucking matter - anyone who kicks off with a killing-people-grade weapon in public should be vaporised.

Religion; skin colour; sex; it really does not matter. We can -all of us- count upon one life in the skin we happen to be wearing.

3. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

What might be fitting

Is to plaster the jihadist sites with Charlie Hebdo cartoons, over and over again.

Just a symbolic gesture, but fitting, I think

Je suis Charlie

1. Suricou Raven

Re: What might be fitting

I'd consider it a sort of litmus test for cultural compatibility. Insult their god and phophet before a group of muslims: Those who complain but take no further action are peaceful and suitable for coexistance, for though they may not share western values entirely there is at least enough agreement for a 'live and let live' approach. Those who demand government censorship or fly into a violent rage are the troublemakers, and it's better to force them to reveal themselves now than wait for some future time when they may have greater influence, for coexistance with them isn't possible without conflict.

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Why just before a group of muslims? I'm pretty sure you'd get angry and/or violent reactions from groups of any of the major religions...

1. DN4

> Why just before a group of muslims?

Noticed the topic of the article?

Otherwise I agree. Although existential proof may not be sufficient; it's also a matter of quantity...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

yes, lets round them up and test them all for compliance. history shows that kind of thing's gone down well.

4. Michael Thibault
    Holmes

Intelligence

is all that is needed.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: Intelligence

Empathy and compassion might also be nice, not to mention self mockery; all traits that fundamentalists of all persuasions seem to lack.

2. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: Intelligence

Triumph of hope over experience.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The deaths of the French police and Charlie Hebdo staff were monstrous atrocities.

However, true freedom of speech means letting the weirdos and crazies spout their ideas as well. Anyone who goes down the "let's ban these folks cuz I don't agree with what they said" is just as bad as Al-Qaeda and the US government for the same reason.

Just because you disagree with an opinion does not mean you should ban it. That is the thin edge of the wedge and will eventually impact back on your life when the majority disagree with what you have to say. Restricting freedom of speech is an abridgement of every persons rights and there is enough of that going on in the world.

Tyrants want to control what is said, or even thought. Be very afraid of a government who wants to protect you by restricting your access to information as it will only increase over time. There will always be extremist opinions. Only education, open debate, and freedom to speak / write freely can change that.

The Charlie Hebdo staff died for expressing that freedom.

1. Mark 85

I do agree with many of your points but unless I mis-read this there's one thing I have a problem with.

This went way beyond "freedom of speech" or "freedom of expression". An AK-47 isn't the same as pen and ink. Sitting back and being philosophical has little place when the shooting starts and these guys have started shooting.

So, Anonymous is one thing... but those extremists are different critter.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agreed, there is a basic hypocrisy with most of things Anonymous say and do. Trampling on others in the name of freedom? Pulling together weak excuses to justify their LOLs. Who elected them judge jury and executioner?

We are legion, we are diabolic.

1. FormerKowloonTonger
        IT Angle

Limited Hypocrisy? Hypocrisy, Ltd.?

'Anonymous" is stepping onto slippery, sloping hypocritical territory here. [or, more likely, maybe they couldn't care less, if it brings headlines]

Does 'Anonymous' know better than GCHQ and the Surete' how to deal with muslim terrorism using the Internet as a vehicle for their probing?

Also, one can bet that Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein's chair-seat is heating up a bit, especially with having a name like his, being faced now with this minefield of 'Rights' to be explored in the tangled context of muslims having the 'right' to enforce their koran dictated 'right' to blow up people and offices they have a grievance with?

Stay tuned. This is just the elastic start of Hypocrisy Central.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Limited Hypocrisy? Hypocrisy, Ltd.?

"Does 'Anonymous' know better than GCHQ and the Surete' how to deal with muslim terrorism using the Internet as a vehicle for their probing?"

Yes. They do.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Limited Hypocrisy? Hypocrisy, Ltd.?

"Does 'Anonymous' know better than GCHQ and the Surete' how to deal with muslim terrorism using the Internet as a vehicle for their probing?"

Fuck yes, without question.

3. Michael Thibault

@AC

>The ... freedom.

There is nothing in what you've written that really warrants your posting anonymously. You should--by your own standards--be free to post what you've posted under you own name (or avatar, if applicable)*. And without fear of being pigeon-holed or stigmatised. Anonymity is largely the assassin's refuge and aerie. But it can also trap.

Circumspection about anonymity, as a resort, should have priority over circumspection about what you want to say.

* I'm not without sin in this regard, though; I've posted anonymously in order to avoid too much, and accumulated, hate from certain quarters, representatives/acolytes of which are known to circulate in these waters...

1. Rabbit80

Re: @AC

" I've posted anonymously in order to avoid too much, and accumulated, hate from certain quarters"

Might want to check that Michael...

2. Message From A Self-Destructing Turnip

@ Michael Thibault, you are right, I seldom post anonymously, but did so out of fear of repercussion from 'the hive', not that an icon offers much protection. Fuck em,freedom is my right, I shall be exposed before my peers, TEAR DOWN THE WALLS!!!

1. Michael Thibault

MFAS-DT, you weren't the AC poster in question; your style falls short--it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi. Nice try, though.

4. Da Weezil

.......And in an ideal world these would be valid point, HOWEVER... the weirdos and crazies are actively seeking to stop free discourse and expression of ideas by use of deadly force, which means the "tolerance and understanding" school of thought is on a loser as it is taken by these nut jobs as being a display of weakness and "decadence" .

Turning the other cheek is all very well in the playground, but when the citizenry is being blown away by hate filled religious zealots (many of whom will be acting out of a view corrupted and bastardized by radicals who seek power for themselves and would wish to cast society back to some past feudal point), then that is time to up the game in defence of those for whom religion is something "other people do". As civilised people we don't arm and take to the streets, so if a group wants to make a protest in this way and possibly disrupt the use of radicalisation/jihadist sites then good luck to 'em!

Does anyone else see the Streisand effect in this? On Monday I have never heard of Charlie Hebdo. So any irony about Anonymous Defending free speech by deying free speech is more than outweighed by the global publicity given to a relatively obscure (outside of France) publication by those seeking to destroy it.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Just because you disagree with an opinion does not mean you should ban it."

Agreed.

However, it is ironic that the [Charlie Hebdo] editors once sponsored a petition drive to ban the [French] National Front... It seems they are happy to ban organizations with opinions that don't align with their own.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

agree completely except for this last part: "The Charlie Hebdo staff died for expressing that freedom."

i don't think they did. i believe they died to send a message. who sent that message i believe is still yet to be identified (there're more people involved in this who're yet to be exposed). having said that, i think the message was perfectly clear: "France, you better start complying". and by compliance i mean "shift your politics to the right".

6. bearded beercan

Nice gesture but it won't hurt them. The Muslims in Europe communicate face to face in mosques and their cousins back home live in caves. Robbing them of every goat around would have a more serious impact.

1. ThomH

... and there are no skyscrapers in Africa?

1. Tom 7

not owned by Africans.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

You realize Elon Musk is from South Africa, eh? And so are a fair number of fairly rich movie stars. Just off the top of my head...

7. Michael Xion

Whose freedom?

So anonymous are going to defend freedom of speech by denying freedom of speech?

As an avowed atheist I have no truck with religion being used as the excuse for all sorts of heinous crimes and propping up dictatorships, and abhor the actions of the nut jobs in France over the last couple of days. But this does seem a bit contradictory.

1. ThomH

Re: Whose freedom?

While I agree that freedom with limits is in practice greater freedom than freedom without limits — e.g. it's fine that I'm not allowed to steal because the principle in general frees me from a lot of burden by facilitating shops — I'm not I want Anonymous policing anything for me. Accountability is important too.

2. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Whose freedom?

So anonymous are going to defend freedom of speech by denying freedom of speech?

Yeah, it's what they do. They probably even get the irony. Of course, if they really wanted to go for a full eye-for-eye treatment, they might do better to find the locations and identities of all those people against whom they are venting their spleen and post those details for all to see. Perhaps they are taking a more measured approach than they did after the Michael Brown shooting.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anonymous is the perfect "organization" to attack them

Because they have no one to strike back at. Who are they going to complain to, that their rights of free speech to spread their dream of an Islamic state that would deny free speech are being abridged?

9. Turtle

Not one of them.

There are people who might care about Anonymous' opinions; I am not one of them.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Not one of them.

Thanks for letting us know.

Do you have anything of substance to post?

10. chivo243 Silver badge
    Alert

Rotterdam's Muslim Mayor says

"MUSLIMS WHO DON’T LIKE FREE SPEECH CAN “FUCK OFF”

http://www.nltimes.nl/2015/01/08/muslims-dont-like-free-speech-can-fuck-off-rotterdam-mayor/

It's a short read, but to the point.

Can't we all just get along? Agree to disagree when we can't?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rotterdam's Muslim Mayor says

Nicely put; blunt and to the point - the self appointed 'community leaders' who do such disservice to their communities in the UK should take a leaf out of his book if they want to send an unambiguous message.

11. SMabille

Freedom of expression

A newspaper front page with Muhammed complaining that *some* (his most extreme) followers are idiots/nutcases, along with other covers mocking Christian, Jews, politicians, Brits, ....) is freedom of expression (and not racism as they were only targeting idiots/far right independently of any color, race or religion).

A website posting pictures of the authors of the front page specifying wanted "dead or alive", providing homemade terrorist recipes etc is not freedom of speech, is call to crime.

I have no problem with the latest being shut down (or replaced by the first one).

Je suis Charlie.

(not anonymous coward, just by respect to the 12 that gave their life to fight for our freedom of speech).

12. Idocrase

Oh crap, I've walked in on a conversation from Deus Ex.

Just agree with whatever JC Denton says and everything will be fine.

13. yoganmahew

Islamic extremists threatened by 72 virgins

Sub-head of the year...

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Islamic extremists threatened by 72 virgins

Agree.

2. TheWeddingPhotographer

Re: Islamic extremists threatened by 72 virgins

The virgins tend to be the ugly ones...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trying to associate themselves with good

The a$$clowns that are A$$nonymous aren't fooling anyone by trying to associate themselves with good even when they constantly violate law. They will still go to prison, as they should, for hacking.

1. Bernard M. Orwell

Re: Trying to associate themselves with good

Shhh MB, Shhh.. back to sleep. Nothing to see here.

15. UckFayU

Vector Correction

I am all for annihilating the these @#@()@!!, but I have one question I've been muddling with since speaking with a Muslim regarding his faith. While we, in the western world - and in particular, Christianity - don't have many convictions of portraying God, in Islam, it is not accepted. The portrayal of Mohammed is taboo, which is the argument these F...tards, in Paris proclaimed. Despite their actions, would it not be acceptable to respect that, in terms of respect to all Muslims? I don't justify their actions, nor defend any of the ISIL - or any fanatical idiots of any religion - but I do question, what the boundaries are. In this new world of information, I see humans struggling to define what is acceptable and what is not, yet we have lost the ability to respect each other. Only a question...I'm not trying to troll or invite argument.

1. PapaD

Re: Vector Correction

I can fully understand that others may disagree with the things I say, or the things I do - they have that right, they also have the right to call me out on my actions, to vocally disagree with my opinions, and to campaign for a better understanding between me and them - this is how adults handle disagreements.

They do not have the right to hunt me down and kill me, or anyone else for that matter.

One question I would like answered - Does the Koran specifically say that you aren't allowed to have a visual depiction of its author (not god, just the author)

Or is that something that got tacked on afterwards?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

it got added later. depictions of the prophet are taboo mainly to avoid deification. Islam is very strict on the 'oneness' of God so any activity which leads to the elevation of any individual (including and especially concerning the prophet) is strictly forbidden. Muslims are reminded constantly that the prophet is a messenger (ie mortal and not God).

muslims feel offended when the prophet is made fun of for the same reasons that anyone would get offended if someone they love and respect is made fun off. to describe it as the sort of feeling you get if someone insulted your parents isn't too far an approximation for how muslims feel about offensive remarks/depictions of the prophet.

given that muslims are sensitive (and avoid) even positive depictions of the prophet, negative depictions are very difficult to deal with for many. this is in the context of a world in which the majority of muslims (certainly in the West) feel 'attacked' and 'victimised' in some way. whether it's true or not, is another issue, the feelings of resentment and victim-hood are there.

ac because i've been attacked and been made to feel like a victim before and don't want to have to deal with that shit again.

1. Looper
          Angel

There are many historical artistic and religious depictions of Islamic prophets including Mohammed. A lot of these are Iranian.

The "ban" on icons of Mohammed comes directly from hadiths, which were created more than 100 years after Mohammed had died. The hadiths are different in Sunni and Shia traditions and come from different sources. The hadiths seem to be main source of division within the Muslim world, and also include the source of many opposing principles between the Muslim world and most other ideologies.

Some Muslims do not agree with hadiths at all, and others pick and choose which they follow, but for the majority they play an extensive role in the religious laws to live by.

Blasphemy is one of those principles, which has only recently been put behind us in most western countries. Yet it has been re-introduced again in one particular European country believe it or not.

2. PapaD

Sensitivity to depictions of their prophet, and the comparison that insulting the prophet is much the same as insulting their parents still doesn't give them the right to kill

If someone insulted my mum, I might rightly be annoyed at them , I may mouth of and insult them in turn, I may ignore them at parties, or if this is on an international scale, I may shun then diplomatically.

I certainly wouldn't pop round to their house and gun them down.

That's because I'm sane, and learnt in playgrounds about the difference between sticks/stones and names.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

i didn't at any point suggest anyone had the right to kill. you inferred that. because... well you can decide why you did.

i'm fairly sure i already know why.

16. Unicornpiss
    Go

Anonymous can make a difference

If Anonymous wants to truly do some good in the world (and I think most of their members have their hearts in the right place), they could use their considerable collective knowledge and influence to continually disrupt and thwart all web and communications efforts of insane, subhuman radicals like ISIS that do nothing but sow misery, ignorance, and collectively set the human race back as a whole.

17. ukgnome

Oh do me a lemon

These twats with guns are no more muslim that I am.

They do not represent the religion just like anonymous do not represent me.

This sort of tit for tat bullshit is playing into the hands of far right lunacy. It's about time people got a grip.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh do me a lemon

I can only assume you haven't read their book then.

The terrorists are the ones who are sticking to their religion as its written. It's the moderate ones who aren't being proper muslims.

18. Shaha Alam

oh great.

the internet has arrived to save the day. lovely.

19. unwarranted triumphalism

This is going well...

Just the usual mud-slinging I see. No real attempt at any substantive debate.

Exactly what I would expect from a bunch of leftie secularist bigots though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon