back to article ASUS router-popping exploit on the loose

ASUS routers contain a vulnerability that turns users into admins, researcher Joshua Drake says. The boxes could be exploited by malicious local users, but not those on the wider internet, re-rerouting all users on the network to malicious sites, among other attacks. Drake wrote in an advisory that several popular models were …

1. Dominic Connor, Quant Headhunter

Fuck, I just bought one

I literally took delivery and plugged my shiny new Asus router in at home yesterday, even downloaded the firmware update, which I now learn is useless.

1. Paul Hargreaves

Re: Fuck, I just bought one

It's only the LAN side that is vulnerable, not the WAN side. Unless you've got hostile attackers in your home, nothing to see here.

1. Dominic Connor, Quant Headhunter

>Unless you've got hostile attackers in your home, nothing to see here.

I have teenage children, *of course* I've got hostile attackers in my home.

2. Nelbert Noggins

And which side of the router would the PC executing an email attachment or malicious download be on?

It wouldn't be the first time a lan side vulnerability was exploited by an internet source. Given how many routers Asus sell and how unlikely most will be updated thinking your safe because it's lan side only sounds naive.

Then again those most likely to run email attachments or unprotected pcs won't do anything about firmware updates or understand firewall rules. This could get messy...

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Try using Merlin's firmware. It's a lightly modified version of the stock firmware, and he patched this bug this morning.

Been running beautifully on my RT-AC66U for several months now.

1. Tubz Silver badge

Merlin Is the One

Running Merlin fork on my AC66 for wireless performance over stock and standard Merlin firmware.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But it's open source and Linux, so must be really secure?

1. Cronus
      Linux

Quite so...

That's why you could use this http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/about as phuzz already mentioned.

I can't imagine there's too many closed-source systems that get patched by 3rd parties while the vendor delays patching it themselves.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well that is curious

I have one but allways felt a little suspect of it so used a Mikrotik more of the time (also cheaper to run and replace when electrical storms about).

Wonder if Merlin's firmware or DD-WRT are completely clean on that?

Merlin's was quite heavily related to the base firmware (or was it the other way round).

(http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/changelog)

1. Chris King

Re: Well that is curious

Where Merlin goes, Asus follows - he contributes a lot of enhancements and bugfixes back to Asus.

Powernumpty's post refers to the AsusWRT-Merlin Changelog, lo and behold:

376.49_5 (9-Jan-2015)

- FIXED: Vulnerability in infosvr (CVE-2014-9583) (Asus bug)

- FIXED: Additional security issue in infosvr (incorrect memcpy()

call) (Asus bug)

4. sorry, what?
    Holmes

Remember too...

If you've got kids who have friends that come over and they have been given access to your wifi, for their gadgets, then they'll be on the LAN and therefore able to exploit.

5. scote

merlin's fixed this

search "asuswrt merlin"

6. patrick_bateman

Asus make routers!??

but cant supply a mobo for a product only 1 year old (cheers, not)

Draytek all the way.

1. sorry, what?
      Thumb Up

IMHO...

ASUS routers are actually pretty good. This is the first security issue I've heard of with their firmware, and the admin UI is pretty easy to use (especially in the higher-spec devices). They could do with improving the Parental Control features, but otherwise a big thumbs up from me.

7. Johnny Canuck

I have a RT-66U and just checked it and it showed there was a firmware update available so I installed it. I guess they are not that slow.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't think so

3.0.0.376_1071 is indicated on my router as being the latest version and this was not released in the last few hours. I've had it on the router for several weeks. I suspect you still have the vulnerability.

Interestingly the ASUS website lists newer builds. See http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?slanguage=en&m=RT-N66U+%28VER.B1%29&os=8 for details. In don't know why the router doesn't find these for itself.

8. Chris King

...and it's fixed in ASUS-WRT too !

From the ASUS web site:

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.3754

-Fixed infosvr security issue.

-Fixed Cross-site request forgery security issue

Confirmed for RT-N66U and RT-AC66U.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like