back to article Amazon.com's US site KO'd!

Amazon.com has been knocked out of service by an undiagnosed glitch that's making it impossible for people to access the website. At a few minutes before noon, California time, we were still getting an error that said only "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable" when trying to visit the online shopping site. The message has been …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Bulow

It's back as at 3.15PM EST

So, I can now use my plastic again :(

2. ImaGnuber

It's a Fake!

Can I be the first to claim the 'undiagnosed glitch' is a fake a la "Besuited cubicle monkey trashes office" comments section (and same for countless other items)?

Where is the 'It's a Fake' headquarters? Would I just get a fake address?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

This is the group that is suggesting people buy into their cloud service?

When they can't even manage their single points of failure, then any business that trusts them to manage their data in a cloud service has GOT to be stupid.

4. Peyton

Still seems to be running a bit slow

And (could be wrong) but I think the layout has changed a bit... problem may be self-inflected via some web updates perhaps?

5. Joe K
    Thumb Down

Still down

........over two hours later

What the hell could take down an internet superpower for this long??

6. Brian White
    Coat

1:45PST - Glitches still

I was greeted to a nice page when I tried amazon after reading this...

We're sorry!

You have been denied access to this feature because we believe you violated the terms, conditions, rules, guidelines or policies of our site in the past.

A few minutes later I was able to get in. Web updates gone bad maybe?

Coat because apparently these folks don't serve droids here...

7. MJ
    Paris Hilton

So long Sadie

Finally as of 1:10pm PST I no longer see Sadie and now get the Amazon home page again.

Anyone know any more about that dog? Didn't Amazon used to have one on their 404 pages?

Paris, because she likes dogs.

8. Joe K

Yeah its back

Looks odd though, like applets and java have been pulled.

9. Joe K
    Happy

Aww

Why didnt i get the angry dog page?

I'm jealous now.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bring back sadie!

Don't lock her away in the depths of amazon.com again :(

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

That's so mean!

The people who took down the site are a bunch of sadiests!

12. egg

Never mind the dog, where's the cat ... Kailey Kitty?

If you bring up the Amazon.com 404 page, check the name of the question mark image ... kailey-kitty__V47081593_.gif

13. Highlander

Actually this may be due to...

The release for purchase of he Metal Gear Solid/80GB PS3 pack which reportedly sold out in about seven minutes and was immediately followed by Amazon.com going tits up. It's reported elsewhere that these two events may be related....

14. David
    Coat

Not Sadie

...it's sad IE - the dog's just disappointed in the choice of browser.

15. Seán

Chinamen

I pulled my tinfoil hat down over my ears and I could hear a secret morse code message, it just kept repeating Chinamen...Chinamen...Chinamen. So clearly it's a Russian attack, cleverly trying to put the blame on the Chinese, but they can't fool me oh no siree bob.

16. druck Silver badge
    Thumb Down

IMDB was down too

It also took out www.imdb.com too, but no holding page in that case, just a very unhelpful 404.

Interestingly, trying the last two addresses for it in the Amazon net blocks reported by Netcraft, (72.21.211.32 and 207.171.166.140) I was able to access the site, which functioned except for returning broken links to images.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Highlander

No, no it's not at all.

Whilst in your world the PS3 is the centre of the universe it's noted that D&D 4th edition was released at the time also.

The number of people buying PS3s/MGS4 whilst fairly big in gaming circles is negligible in the grand scheme of things - certainly things like D&D 4th edition, Harry Potter book releases and so on completely and utterly dwarf the PS3/MGS4 - even other computer games like Halo 3 were vastly larger releases in comparison.

18. Highlander

@AC

Ah, I see, so you need emoticons to sense sarcasm and doubt?

I thought that stating:

"It's reported elsewhere that these two events may be related...."

...would have been sufficiently silly and vague as to make it quite clear I was being somewhat sarcastic?

19. james

Amazon UK now?

Looks like the uK site has been hit too....

20. Mike Rose

Spread to amazon.co.uk

Http/1.1 Service Unavailable

there was me wondering if it was an anti-firefox thing, but no, appears to be fairly affective against most browsers.

21. This post has been deleted by its author

22. Ian Tunnacliffe

Still Flakey - and spams too

I just failed to get in to amazon.com with a Http/1.1 Service Unavailable. Seems to be intermittent. BUT also, over the weekend I have been getting spams with subject lines like "Amazon.com have some troubles" and other variations. Some connection surely?

23. MJ

What's with the dog?

Yep, I also saw the "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable" message earlier, although now (13:10 PST) all I can get is a page saying that I've been denied access for violating the T&C's with a picture of a dog on it???

Screenshot at: http://www.jamuk.com/amazon-sorry.gif

If it makes any difference, I'm accessing amazon.com from San Francisco, CA...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like