back to article Right to be forgotten? That’s not Google’s call – data MEP Albrecht

Even though changes to Europe’s data protection laws would not substantially alter the right to deletion or erasure, perhaps Google shouldn’t be making such calls on its own, according to Jan Philipp Albrecht, a leading data protection MEP. Last May, Google was ordered to remove links to “outdated or irrelevant” information …

1. Nick Kew

The article is infuriatingly unclear on what exactly Albrecht was commenting on. EU law? Google practice? Media representation of either? But it looks as if he was probably talking reasonable sense.

Respect to him for rebelling against being gagged over TTIP.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Eh...

The point is that Albrecht, and the EU ruling, are as silly as debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. None of the URL's Google "deletes" from searches is deleted for people doing their searches outside of the EU. In other words, only stupid people think there is a "right to be forgotten" on the Internet.

2. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

WT Everlasting F???

A leading Data Protection MEP has to sign a document threatening him with jail just to find out what TTIP is about?

Something is *seriously* fucked up here!!!

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Re: WT Everlasting F???

And they still say TTIP is a good thing? With regulations like that???

1. theblackhand

They say free trade is a good thing.

I'm unsure what the TTIP will be and everyone who does know either won't say or will end up in jail.

I guess we'll just have to wait until the good ol' US of A comes and rescues us Brits (and the rest of Europe) and imposes some democracy....

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You forgot the /sark tag.

You do know the US is the prime mover in the TTIP don't you.

3. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

“Google’s right to have nice search results”.

I don't think Google has had nice search results for quite some time. Personally, I'd prefer that Google produce meaninful, accurate and COMPLETE search results.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: “Google’s right to have nice search results”.

But hard for them to do that when the EU keeps telling them to forget results.

2. P. Lee

> I'd prefer that Google produce meaninful, accurate and COMPLETE search results.

Therein lies the problem. Accurate, meaningful and complete are often mutually exclusive because politicians (and users actually) treat google as a database.

The problem is that google is actually an index. If someone mis-reports something, do you include it (for completeness of the index) or do you delete it (for accuracy) or do you delete it (I wasn't looking for that anyway) or do you keep it (I was looking for it).

As an example, I know of a school which had a case of child-abuse quite a few years ago. It was dealt with and the offender went to jail for a long time. The problem was that years later, anyone who googled the name of the school was presented, right at the top, with an old newspaper article on child-abuse at the school, which made it appear as if the issue was on-going . In this case, accurate, relevant and complete depend on your motive for searching. Not even google can work that out. You might be looking for the school address or office telephone number or term dates, or you might be researching child-abuse historical data. You might have the Chrome abomination which pushes all data to google and encourages you not to use URLs so that it can serve more search results. Regardless, if you searched on the name of the school, back came this newspaper article and it was a serious on-going issue for the school. In the end, the school changed its name. Not everyone can reasonably do that.

In this case, the right to be forgotten seems reasonable to me. Not all organisations are global. The fact that anyone in the US would get back the newspaper article is not a problem for all non-US organisations.

The problems come with the ability to manipulate search results being put in place. That puts way too much power in the hands of the rich and powerful who can afford to make filtering happen.

I'm not sure there is a good solution for this. The best I can come up with is something like the "chilling-effects" notices but instead of scrubbing the data completely, there is just a link with access to the full results. That moves things out of the way for casual searching of google.co.uk, google.de etc, but keeps the data available and visible for those who want to dig a bit deeper.

This seems to strike a decent balance. I really don't want to see more powers and laws. There are hard cases, but they make for abusable law. The last thing I want is to give politicians more power over the data we see. It does seem reasonable, however to age news-type articles in the index.

1. big_D Silver badge

@P. Lee

I agree for the most part, although as an English speaker in Germany, I often use Google.com as the English results are often better, I use .de when I'm searching in German.

That said, of late, Google seems to be returning useless results at the top and actual results for my query often come on the 2nd or 3rd page.

For example searching for something like a router or laptop combined with handbook or driver, or searching for an error message with a product often brings up a page or 2 of sites selling the product or comparing prices, before I get any results that are relevant to the handbook or the error message.

Google, if I am searching for a specific error message relating to a product, or I am looking for the handbook or latest drivers, there is a pretty good chance that I have ALREADY BOUGHT THE B****Y PRODUCT and that I am actually looking for the handbook or support pages dealing with that error!

4. Old Handle
    Go

I'm inclined to think Google would be delighted to have some help figuring out this right to be forgotten stuff. Is Albrecht offering?

1. Nick Kew

Careful what you wish for. If he offers, that's our taxes paying.

Of course the law is nonsense in the absence of a taxpayer-funded agency to arbitrate. Which is kind-of what I suspect he's saying, on the basis of a least-nonsensical reading of the article.

5. earl grey
    Facepalm

Is it just me?

Or do those little data spiders have two green eyes and no fangs...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like