back to article Watch out Seagate: Here comes WD with a hybrid flash/disk drive launch

WD is demonstrating a faster-than-Seagate 4TB hybrid flash/disk drive at Storage Visions 2015. It is built with 3.5-inch disk drive, an up to 128GB SSD, and the SATA Express PCIe interface with the flash and disk components presented as a single volume. The demos include commercially available ASRock and Gigabyte motherboards …

1. Matt J

Really, El Reg...

...On a day when journalists and police have been massacred in Paris with assault rifles, you use *this* image to supplement a story about flash storage?

Whatever you're trying to achieve with the site re-design, if you don't have an appropriate image *which is related to the article* then just leave it blank. It's far from the first time that the image has had no relation to the story, but this is just too much.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Really, El Reg...

>journalists and police have been massacred...

I didn't know that, but then I come here for tech news and a bit of gossip. If I did want to know such stuff I'd read a newspaper. I keep them seperate and never the twain shall meet.

I don't usually vote on comments I've commented on but you're so special, have a downvote on me.

1. I Like Heckling Silver badge

>I don't usually vote on comments I've commented on but you're so special, have a downvote on me.

Get out of bed the wrong side, not had that cup of coffee yet that makes you appear... ya know... Human?

OP, have an upvote to cancel out the commentards.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Seems like this calls for a poll.

Should our intrepid El Reg journalists scour the world news headlines for stories of death, destruction, massacre, Carol Vorderman, Stephen Fry (got to be balanced) and possibly torture of little plastic figurines before deciding on a graphic for a particular story or should they be left to their own devices with impunity

1. Fibbles

I don't expect the Register to constantly exercise self censorship. However, the French massacre is major news, a large part of the readership are European and that picture really has fuck all to do with the article.

Is it too much to expect a little tact?

2. Ivan Headache

They don't have to scour the world for this particular story - it's leading every news bulletin in Europe.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

>it's leading every news bulletin in Europe.

I didn't realise a tragedy had to win a popularity contest before it could influence how something is reported elsewhere.

>that picture really has fuck all to do with the article

Er, which part of "Watch out Seagate" do you not understand? All I see is someone watching out and preparing to defend their position. I do not see, by any stretch of the imagination, a mock terrorist preparing an attack.

3. Tom 35

Or if they don't have an actual relevant photo they could just use all text. The random clip art they have been using is a waste of space.

2. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Define an "assault rifle". In your own time...

Meanwhile I've turned the pic off, as it's a stock image that doesn't add a great deal here.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Really, El Reg...@ gazthejourno

Meanwhile I've turned the pic off

You've just given in to terror. Interestingly that makes Matt J a terrorist. Hopefully GCHQ will be keeping an eye on him now, and he'll find travel more "interesting".

2. Disko

...should (they) be left to their own devices with impunity...

I sincerely believe they should.

Being sensitive and acknowledging what is going on in the world is also good, and not the same as giving in to terrorists - to me that is giving in to human compassion, especially when there really isn't much at stake - a stock photo is hardly worth fighting over, as opposed to, say, the right to comment as we see fit.

3. What was the question

I don't especially agree with your complaint, but I suppose I should say "well done sir" - you must be a rather special person to have not just seen but actually noticed the illustration. Since when did a reader actually see the stock-agency illustrations in a tech article? Most of us have spent so many years learning not to see web ads that editorial pictures don't show up on the radar either.

4. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

#JeSuisCharlie

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. David Kelly 2

Single Volume?

Am guessing SATA Express PCIe doesn't allow multiple volumes on one interface? If not that is sad. I think Apple got it right with their Fusion driver. The operating system knows best about what to cache on SSD vs HD. Hybrid devices such as Seagate and now WD can not take full advantage because they can only guess.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Single Volume?

What I like about the Seagate is that it can be used as a plug-in replacement, and it gave my older Apple laptop, which doesn't understand fusion drives, a new lease of life.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"SATA Express PCIe doesn't allow multiple volumes on one interface"?

Wrong, it does. And WD sells a unit like that today (though for SATA). This is a different unit aimed at a different segment.

1. danwat1234

SATA DOES NOT. At least pure SATA, not sure about the SATA express stuff.

WD's black2 dual drive, which is a 2.5" 1TB laptop drive with 120GB SSD all in one, it uses a controller chip to have the first 120GB of the volume seen by the SATA controller to be mapped to the SSD, the 1TB after that mapped to the hard drive. The computer sees ONE volume. That is why they need that chip.

Only 1 drive per cable. If you want more, it's virtual, like multiple file systems, a controller chip, etc.

4. What was the question

yes no

(1) Bad job, Mr Western Digital. How many years has it taken you to finally, finally get a clue and start making proper hybrid drives? Seagate got the idea right ... how long ago was it now? Two years? Three years? More? So long ago now that I can't even remember my first one or how many times I've replaced it with bigger ones as the new models arrive. Way too long whichever way you slice it.

(2) Good job, Mr Western Digital. Congratulations on not just catching up but making the extra effort to lift the performance bar.

(3) Good job Mr Seagate. Your hybrid drives have provided sterling service and are, in particular, a great way of rejuvenating tired laptops without sacrificing capacity.

(4) Bad job, Mr Seagate. Your biggest current hybrid model has been around since Adam was fingering the three little hairs on his chin and wondering when someone would invent supermarkets so he could buy his first razor. Where are the new models with more space (essential!) and more speed (desirable)?

(5) If I read things properly, the WD product won't be compatible with most existing hardware, so is of little immediate interest. But with decent luck, it will put the frighteners on Mr Seagate and encourage him to get off his arse and put some nice new product out. Good!

5. Jonathan 27

Yeah...

Seeing as SATA Express is a flash in the pan connector that most new boards don't even have, I'd say this has quite limited applications.

6. danwat1234

No picture?

No picture of the hybrid 3.5" drive with a PCI Express interface? How lame.

I can't find WD's SSHD drive with more than 16GB and usually 8GB of flash online like ebay. Cannot buy one with 24GB of Flash memory.

The WD Black2 1TB 2.5" hard drive, 120GB SSD is pretty much cancelled now. Way overpriced.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like