back to article About 4King time: Panasonic finally reveals voice-control Firefox OS TVs

Panasonic today tore the wraps off Firefox OS-powered 4K TVs, high-def 4K camcorders, and home surveillance cameras, at CES in Las Vegas. Julie Bauer, the appliance giant's consumer electronics president, said her conference keynote that the new gear will go on sale in 2015. Panasonic 4K TV A Panasonic 4K TV That will …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can see this working well

How does the television you're yelling at the presenter and not at it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can see this working well

More worringly, to use it you have to agree to all audio being sent back to Panasonic to "help improve quality". Screw that!

And this is *exactly* the kind of critical information the sales-drones in the shop don't know about.

1. WraithCadmus
        Paris Hilton

Do they only get audio?

"Hmmm, it seems AC and their partner are rearranging some furniture while agreeing with each other a lot, tell the networks to put more home improvement shows on"

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes - it has no camera.

It's easy to avoid, just remove batteries from the control that has the mic.

2. Ragarath

How does the television you're yelling at the presenter and not at it?

Erm, is it not sensible to set up a keyword as most other things do now-a-days. Does SIRI constantly yabber back at the fanboys (sorry I had to) while they walk along?

2. Denarius
    Unhappy

So cameras for sefie in HD ?

Back to film now Polaroid packs are available

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn....

Tell me when they have a 4K Digital Projector to go with it.

Even a 65" screen is too small to realize the resolution of 4K. and 30 ft from the screen you can't see the difference.

A 4K projector that was reasonably priced (not six figures) would also mean the survival of many small film theatres as a "Digital" Theatre today is mostly 4K.

Not many surveillance camera/NVR vendors are heading in the 4K direction because of high bandwidth usage and poor low light or IR capability. Netflix can't even stream that large so the home market is limited.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bought a Panasonic TV over Chrimbo...

...pile of stinking shit. No real catch-up services bar iPlayer, screen shows halos/judders around moving images, struggles to access Internet, dreadful remote, part of the Ts&Cs are to grant Panasonic the right to listen in via the mic to everything you say.

Got a service call with the shop to see what they can do - I doubt a return is possible as I took it out of the box.

So, just like Sony, **NEVER** buy Panasonic.

1. P. Lee

Re: Bought a Panasonic TV over Chrimbo...

The best TV is the best dumb screen, with a computer plugged in.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yup, unfortunately once you go up in size it seems these "smart" features are harder to avoid.

1. JetSetJim

"smart" features can be useful

What I want is a telly that can stream from a NAS box with a client/application that respects account/folder permission structures (unlike DLNA unless it's changed recently). Also able to connect to Netflix & any other subscription service (ideally in such a manner as to easily be able to add such a service).

Currently (nearly) achieved with a dumb tv, WD Live TV mini-box and a Synology network share.

"Dumb" tvs are going out with the dinosaur - the future is (whether we like it or not) streaming on demand. Broadcast will probably end up as a niche market.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Add the "smart" yourself, no need to be chained by Sony et al.

A RasPi would do it.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

>Maybe I'm missing something, but when I'm streaming video from my Windows 7 "server" to my iPad, I see DLNA servers for every local account on the PC. I would assume depending on which server I connected to would control what I could watch from that server.

>That's not something your TV should care about, that's a server configuration issue. Just create a DLNA TV account and set permissions accordingly.

You'd have thought that - but DLNA doesn't seem to respect folder permissions at all as it seems to effectively run as root and publishes everything it is told to index - instead you have to run multiple instances of a media server to achieve the aim, which defeats the point of folder permissions.

It makes more sense to use the credentials you log in to one media server to constrain what files can be viewed, rather than running multiple servers to do that. I want my kids to log in from the telly with their account and only see Bagpuss et al, and then I can log in from the same telly to the same server with my account and see all the rest of the stuff.

Unfortunately, DLNA doesn't do that - various forums are awash with criticism for it, but not aware of the standard moving forward in that regard, so instead I don't run a media server, but instead a network drive, and this achieves my goals but without the funky cover art.

5. Levente Szileszky

Well done, Pana...

...and it all sounds great, indeed, but if I will have to buy a TV anytime soon (hope not) I will go with WebOS 2.0 & LG, until your Mozilla-based system is proven, sorry.

6. All names Taken
    Paris Hilton

tv?

Quite a few people I've spoken with are disappointed in these and similar highly specced televisions mainly because TV shows, DVDs and so on don't use the special feature.

Alternatively?

Norfolk

King

Chance

?

7. Tom 13

Why does this article make me feel

like the CEOs don't get that jumping the 4th shark is no better than jumping the first?

I like Firefox and all. I like my large screen 1080 tv. I don't really see the need for 4K. And I really don't see the need to marry a piece of software that is updated at least monthly to something that should last me a good 20 years with a minimum service life of 10 years.

8. earl grey
    Unhappy

i'll just keep my tube

Thanks, but no thanks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like