back to article Cap’n Ericsson and his great SEABORNE CLOUD wheeze

Ericsson has launched a “Maritime ICT Cloud”, mainly supporting logistical operations, as well as connecting vessels at sea with shore-based operations, maintenance service providers, customer support centres, fleet/transportation partners, port operations and authorities. There are also tools for voyage optimization, cargo …

1. Pen-y-gors

Hopefully very secure

What do we know of the technical skills of the Somali pirate hackers? I bet they'd like all the info about their potential victims in one place!

2. Alister

I thought the article was going to say that Ericsson had bought those two barges off Google, to float a datacentre in...

3. small and stupid

Translation for landlubbers

Company bodges up software package for huge, deep pocketed, weird, major customer, then wonders if they can earn some gravy flogging it to other mugs.

4. Gray
    Windows

Yawn ...

Sounds pretty similar to what the long-haul trucking industry (at least in the U.S.) has been doing for at least the past 30 years, via QualComm services through GPS/Satellite onboard tracking systems. Truck fleet tracking includes engine and odometer data, route and schedule following, and two-way messaging between driver and dispatcher. To infer that this is "something new" for yet another terrestrial transportation service is puzzling.

1. CCCP

Re: Yawn ...

@Gray

You seem to misunderstand the meaning of innovation. It means bringing things to market in a way that makes commercial sense. It doesn't really matter if it has been done elsewhere.

First mover advantage is one of the great drivers of profit.

I am not versed in maritime digital tracking, but the volumes are mahoosive, so a small improvement is probably interesting.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yawn ...

It is pretty much the same across shipping whether by truck or by ship with some obvious tailoring for maritime conditions. I'm quite sure that all the downstream logistic chain will be thrilled to know that their shipping container has just been hijacked, err seized by pirates. The overarching problem for this approach is going to be the same as been ever thus in ERP and similar big-bang projects: how much customization is required and can that be successfully achieved for any particular firm in a reasonable amount of time with a reasonable budget, 'reasonable' being highly subjective of course.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like