back to article Sony's well and truly 4Ked with skinny TVs and cheap cams

Sony Pictures' epic hack means that part of the Sony empire is well and truly cooked, now the electronics side of the biz is aiming to get you thoroughly 4ked. The company used its press conference at this year's CES conference in Las Vegas to introduce a super-thin TV and a pair of new video cameras capable of shooting 4K …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Panels

Have they reversed their decision to buy flat panel screens from the lowest bidder?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Panels

Reviews of their W8 series TVs suggest Sony have shifted from IPS to VA screens (whatever that means), and that the picture quality is very good for the price, especially black levels and contrast. Gamers seem to rate Sonys too for having the lowest input lag. Their pricier models already use Quantum Dot filters, a technology the Koreans are beginning to use - since, as I am led to believe, it is easier to implement than OLED at that scale.

(I've only been looking into the last couple of weeks, since I had to talk a mate out of buying a cheapie LG 4K TV in the Boxing Day sales - it seems LG made too many compromises to make a 4K 55" TV for £800, bigf surprise. )

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Xmas temptation

Sony had lots of 4K models in the shops at reasonable prices over the Xmas period. Mrs Coat was tempted but thought better of it.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Xmas temptation

Good idea, wait until the game has played out a little more and the standard(s) have become more settled. In any case, the decent 4K sets still carry a hefty premium over very good 1080 sets, and the 4K content is thin on the ground.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Xmas temptation

Good idea, wait until the game has played out a little more and the standard(s) have become more settled. In any case, the decent 4K sets still carry a hefty premium over very good 1080 sets

The Mrs had exactly the same thoughts too. The 55" model she was lusting after was reduced to under AUD1000 before Xmas. I just checked and it's now back up to over AUD2000 at JB Hifi.

3. Banksy
    FAIL

Thanks

Thanks for the extensive coverage El Reg. Could you put up more than 1 blurry picture of the TVs?

1. Quinnicus
      Pint

Re: Thanks

Yes, not a very good picture at all!

More information on Sony's 2015 Bravia Line-up:

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/product-announcements-technologies/our-new-ces-products-2015-bravia-range/ba-p/1862272

4. poopypants

No rush

I don't own a TV. It suffered an unfortunate accident, and I haven't felt sufficiently motivated to replace it. In any case, we'll be waiting forever for decent 4K content to watch. By that time I should have high bandwidth internet, and might as well use the 2560 x 1440 monitor sitting 50 cms in front of my face. No requirement to buy a new TV that way. As usual, your mileage may differ. Feel free to stimulate the economy to your heart's content.

5. SirWired 1

"If only my gigantic pedastal or wall-mounted TV was as thin as my smartphone." - Said nobody ever.

While certainly there is some merit to a TV being, say, 20mm thick vs, 50mm thick, there reaches a point with vastly diminished returns.

About the only application I'm seeing for such a thin screen is actually embedding it in the drywall without having to carve out framing. But the number of people that are going to want to call a carpenter every time they need to fiddle with the cables on their TV is pretty small.

1. Jim84

It does look pretty good, at least in this photo:

http://sonyeu1.i.lithium.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/247773iABFFE95121EBE24A/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Although that is without any dusty cables sticking out of the back.

I don't know why TV manufacturers don't go after the gaming market? Bring out a 5k set (4 times 1440p) with g-sync and free-sync.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I fell into the Sony trap and spent in excess of £2000.00 on a Bravia 55 inch model.

Worst Sony product I ever bought.

Now they insist on doing updates via the net, and suggest the changes will be beneficial, they are not, least of all because they have prevented many of my USB films from playing and the joke that is their version of the VLC player!!!!!!!!!!!which works perfectly on an PC but not on my tv

Pile of pants and a crap picture to boot

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like