back to article Apple GPS System rumoured to debut in Mercedes cars

Apple is secretly working on a GPS unit for cars with Mercedes owners likely to get hold the technology long before lesser drivers, a German magazine has claimed. The car navigation system for Mercedes-Benz, which would deliver "maintenance, communication and navigation", is set to debut in early 2009, according to Focus, a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Carp...

Just hope they don't release a "Beta" version...

Merc drivers suffer third rate build quality as it is, so no need to get Apple to help put it into the nearest ditch...

2. elder norm

Please!!!

Please. Just take a minute and think about this rumor. FUD. Pure and simple.

Why would Apple want to build a GPS auto system?

An iPod that works with your car, sure.

An iPhone that works with your car, sure.

But there are numerous GPS road mapping units out there that work just fine. They do a great job. Apple looks at markets where systems either do not exist or are there but work so bad that there is a real need for a good system.

Remember the rumors about Apple selling TVs? Same here.

Will iPhones eventually have GPS? I am sure they will. I believe its mandated by the govt. for 911 use at some time in the future. So, sure, it will eventually be there. And maybe you can even use it in the car, but I really don't see Apple making the system.

Hmmmmm, maybe someone will make software that uses an iPhone with GPS for use anywhere, walking on the street, etc.

en

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't be too sure that this isn't true...

If you look at the parallels between in car communication/navigation systems and similar projects for the "wired" house, this does not seem too far fetched.

4. Webster Phreaky

What Bull$hit from the Apple Nut Crowd ...

The Apple Rumor Nut Crowd belongs on Art Bell's nightly radio show reporting Aliens and UFOs. First off, Apple DOESN'T Engineer or Manufacture ANYTHING! It's ALL done for them in Taiwan, Korea and now comie China. All Apple does is send them pretty enclosure sketches. There are NO engineers at Apple. I know, I worked there!

WHY would Mercedes go with a GPS NOBODY like Apple, with NO GPS EXPERIENCE or name value over the highly respected brands with military precision and year of experience!!??

This rumor is bullshit .... just like ALL the Apple kook stories.

5. John Browne

Just think about the cost

If apple are charging $600 for an iphone which is subsidised with a contract I shudder to think how much a built in in car GPS system is going to cost based on the same technology.

If we assume that adding GPS functionality will add at least $150 to the price and take away the subsidy we're looking at a $1000 piece of kit.

As this is being built into the car all chips will need to meet the automotive reliability qualification requirements. These are listed in the spec AEC-Q100 handed down by the Automotive Electronic Council. Because of the extra testing required, Semiconductor companies charge up to 1.5 times the price for an Automotive chip as for a consumer chip (same silicon more stringent testing requirements).

Now this will add considerably to apples sales price into the cars. Add on the cost of Apple doing it's extra testing to ensure reliability in the car and you're looking at a $2000 piece of kit. Add on the car companies markup 50% would probably be a bit low but anyway that leaves you with a $3000 option on the car.

That's not cheap but then again these are going into mercs.

6. Hayden Clark Silver badge

But your average GPS is a pain to use

Cute and easy to use is an Apple "thing". Just what's needed.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ideal...

Perfect market for Apple really, especially as the Sale of Goods Act doesn't apply so rigidly to cars.

8. Chad H.

but what would it be called?

iFind, iGoTo?

9. Scott Mckenzie

Title

iMlost

10. {¯`·.¸_LÅMߤ¥_¸.·´¯}

title

iFail or iAmBullshit

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

Yeah, I hate it when I'm tooling down the road in my `"wired" house' and I get lost. I sure need a GPS affixed to my house so I always know where it is.

This topic is closed for new posts.