back to article VMware planning 'biggest launch' on Feb 2

VMware looks to be launching its long awaited sixth version of vSphere on February 2nd. The Reg is in receipt of a “hold the date” for a February 2nd event. We're also aware of chatter among the VMware faithful that those involved in the vSphere 6 beta are being asked to prepare themselves for “our biggest launch event to date …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Biggest launch event?

Like a vSphere client for Linux?

Nah - just more cloudy bits.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Biggest launch event?

Maybe they've migrated the server and client applications to html5 so the will run under Linux.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

@Theodore Re: Biggest launch event?

"Maybe they've migrated the server and client applications to html5 so they will run."

There, corrected that for you.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The vSphere Web Client already runs on IE7,8,9,10, Firefox and Chrome with Flash 10.1.0 or later, is this the vCentre client? if so, surely this means you can run the client on Linux already? The vCenter Server is also downloadable as a preconfigured Linux based VM I think too. It's already reliable, so I wonder what the news is? I don't know why so many companies like VMware waste so much time supporting old browsers that aren't cross platform.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

@ 11was1rh

1 - The vCentre server that runs as a Linux appliance has less features and capacity than the full-blown Windows server based vCentre setup.

2 - If you've ever used the vCentre web interface for more than a few moments, you'll realise that it's a horrible piece of (Flash) software. Why they had to write it as Flash rather than HTML/Javascript application is beyond anyone who uses it. It's slow, buggy and klunky.

1. ledmil

Re: @ 11was1rh

Regarding point 2, have you tried the 5.5 web client? We've found it pretty useable as a web client (5.1 was extremely dire for sure). Also don't forget that new features are not being added into the full client, try checking the highest VM hardware version you can set in the full client as one example.

That said, it is frustrating that they take this stance of pushing people down the web client route when plug-ins (like update manager and SRM) are still only available in the full client, I'm guessing this is why VMware have confirmed the full client will be included in v6.

1. Talleyho

The current version of SRM is fully integrated into the Web client.

1. ledmil

Yes, just realised 5.8 is in the web client (we last checked just before the 5.8 release).

My point was that there was a reasonable length of time where the message was 'all new stuff will only be in the web client' while certain options were only in the full client.

2. Talleyho

The current version of SRM, 5.8, is integrated with the web client.

2. Steven 1

The vSphere Web Client is the proverbial bulldog chewing a wasp of an app – its utterly hideous – every time I have to use it a little piece of my soul is eroded.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like