back to article Yahoo! Says! Chrome, IE Users! Should! 'Upgrade'! To! FIREFOX!

Yahoo! has started urging visitors to its homepage to "upgrade to the new Firefox" – even when they aren't using the Mozilla browser in the first place. The message, along with a Firefox logo, has begun appearing for some users in the purple band along the top of Yahoo!'s portal pages. It's displayed when the visitor is using …

1. Florida1920
    Pint

SEO

Nice of El Reg to include a link to the Yahoo! home page. They probably need the SEO bump.

2. stephajn
    WTF?

Cheeky buggers...

In switching the default search engine for Firefox to Yahoo, they also quite rudely changed my pre-existing Firefox installation away from using Google to using Yahoo. I could condone the default being set to Yahoo for new installs, but leave my browser alone when I already have it set to Google.

Not cool Mozilla, not cool!

1. thames

Re: Cheeky buggers...

I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu (14.04). I got the upgrade when it came out, but none of my settings, including search settings, were changed. If you're using Windows, then that might have something to do with it. All updates in Ubuntu are pushed out through its own update system rather than the sort of ad-hoc methods that applications on Windows use.

1. T. F. M. Reader

@thames: Are you in the US? The search deal is US-only...

1. Tristan Young

I'm in Canada, and the default search (and my chosen search) was changed to Yahoo! US only? I wish. Mozilla's firefox has pretty much exhibited malware-like behavior by surreptitiously altering my settings - I almost thought I was using IE again, and somehow had a BHO installed without my permission.

Firefox is the new IE? Hehehehe

3. T. F. M. Reader

Never attribute to malice...

I can easily imagine a coder who never saw a detailed spec (because there never was one) or thought much write

running_latest_firefox() || display_ff_upgrade_banner();

4. Dan 55 Silver badge
    WTF?

"Whether Firefox should be considered an "upgrade" for users of other browsers"

Firefox vs Chrome is probably a close race depending on your preferences but you're kidding me if you seriously suggesting that Safari or IE are anything but a lap behind.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: "Whether Firefox should be considered an "upgrade" for users of other browsers"

There's nothing much wrong with IE nowadays. It does the job. Same as the others.

Actually the one I personally dislike is Chrome, because it won't let me have a traditional menu bar, so I have to click on the big button on the right, that then brings up the unwieldy menu of everything. But that's a relatively minor point. I still use Firefox because I got used to it, and haven't bothered to change.

2. P. Lee
      Alien

Re: "Whether Firefox should be considered an "upgrade" for users of other browsers"

IE users who aren't using Chrome/FF are unlikely to switch, so its really telling Chrome users to move to FF (and thus Bing).

With FF pushing Bing, and IE being more standards-based than it used to be, MS won't really care if you use FF as long as you use Bing.

5. Fihart

Yahoo -- get with the program !

Silly buggers have been pestering users to change browser ever since they introduced a new look a few years back that wasn't compatible with my then choice, Opera. Eventually, fed up with being nagged I switched but frankly I'd rather they'd stuck with Yahoo's classic look or put in the effort to match most popular browsers.

I've largely switched to Firefox after a flirtation with Chrome, so the new nagging doesn't bother me. But Yahoo's performance in the past few years has been pretty poor (not to mention the recent underseas outage) and I suspect that this latest move will push some users out the door.

6. Jove Bronze badge

Is this news worthy?

Is it really a big story? Did not Google push Chrome at every opportunity?

7. adfh

People use the Yahoo! homepage?

8. Tristan Young

I! changed! my! default! search! provider! back! to! Google!

Why?

Many MANY years ago I fired Yahoo, over almost non-existent security, irrelevant search results, and an email system that was brain-dead dumb at best. Since firing Yahoo! I have seen improved search results, don't regret Google's focus on security, and run my own email server which has never let me down even once.

Dear Yahoo!

You're fired again. I've changed 9 systems back to Google, and this count will only increase.

Sincerely,

A Yahoo! user never-again.

Like AOL and a bad fart - Yahoo keeps hanging around, stinking up the internet. The best thing you can do is leave the room, and hope it doesn't follow you.

1. Sotorro
      Happy

Why use Google ?

Why use Google when you can use https://startpage.com

All the great Google results without being profiled.

Silly people who are using Google & Bing where all their personal search results get sold to the highest bidder, no thanks.

9. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Holmes

Obvious

It was obvious that my FF installation had been changed to Yahoo! (without my consent) when the search results started to mysteriously suck.

10. phil dude
    WTF?

twice....

how many times I tried a Yahoo! search before I found out it was Crap!

We might complain about Google, but it is still depressingly the best, and STILL not good enough....

P.

11. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Trollface

Me?

I'm sticking with Alta Vista.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like