back to article Fake Android The Interview app actually banking Trojan

Malware-slingers have latched onto the torrent of publicity spawned by the controversial film The Interview by stitching together a fake Android app actually designed to swipe online banking credentials. Sony Pictures, stung by criticism that it had given into threats in the wake of a devastating hack attack against its …

1. Joe Drunk
    Windows

Installing an app from a random torrent is definitely smart

See title.

1. rvt

Re: Installing an app from a random torrent is definitely smart

I agree on that title.

On the other hand why would the app have so much power, why would give the Android OS so much power to a application. Why is there even a option to give that much power?!?! It just baffles me. I know this is properly the end user's fault because it checked off the 'do whatever you want with my phone' checkbox during installation. On the other hand Android really should ask these questions in the first place and simply deny access.

1. ThomH

It's unclear to me from what I can find online how Android/Badaccents actually works but I think it's safe to assume that the payload is exploiting a security flaw elsewhere in Android or in the specific banking apps, rather than Google having thought it'd be smart to extend bank account details to any installed app that asks.

2. tony72

There's almost no information in the article as to how the malware works, so we actually have no idea what permissions the app requires, or how it extracts information from the user. So before getting hysterical about "why would the app have so much power", we ought to give that some thought. It may simply present as a fake banking app for example, which simply asks the user for their credentials and sends them on; no great power or permissions are required for that, just a user gullible enough to fall for it.

3. jjcoolaus

Do South Koreans even use google play?

If they do, Google has a feature where it can scan any app you manually install for malware, and prevent it's installation if it finds any, but you have to agree to this scanning the first time you install a non-market app.

Plus it's a good idea to have a security client on your phone like lookout, avast, avg, or norton. Some are free and some only cost $30 AU per year. Not that much to secure a phone that could have cost up to $1,000 and of course internet banking fraud will cost you a lot more than that.

2. harmjschoonhoven
      Coat

Storing online banking credentials on a device which is also used for random non-banking purposes is definitely smart.

My coat is the one with the e.dentifier in the pocket.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who would install an app to watch a particular movie? I seem to be above-average paranoid, but this would set off a whole load of alarm bells!

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

It's sad...

...that the media are taken in so much as to think this might be a real story and are feeding on each other to generate the hype.

It's even more sad that so many are people are taking the hype seriously enough to actually want to see a film that has been almost universally slated by pretty much everyone who has seen it.

I'm guessing these are the same people who are "excited" by the "exciting new developments" announced daily by marketing twonks. (it's an exciting new shade of pink, two shades lighter than the previous exciting new colour and in limited production of ONLY!!!! TWENTY MILLION INDIVIDUALLY NUMBERED UNITS!!!! PRE-ORDER YOURS NOW OR BE LEFT OUT!!!!

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: It's sad...

I don't understand this either, why would someone activelly search for specific application, click to install it, in order to watch a specific film...

If these kind of people do exist then why are they allowed to actually use a phone, let alone a smart phone, unattended...

Appropriate quotation for the day:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

<Albert Einstein>

1. Marcelo Rodrigues
        Unhappy

"I don't understand this either, why would someone activelly search for specific application, click to install it, in order to watch a specific film..."

Because the majority of users don't know how these things work. We work with this, so it is obvious to us that "Install Netflix to see the movies from its servers" if totally different from "Install this app to see a single (pirated) movie"

From the user perspective, it is the same thing: an app that plays films.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Personally, I would not consider the majority to be that stupid.. I agree there are some but definately not the majority.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google play store

Or its not news...

No go away and find something better to report on, something that affects real people.

1. Mike Bell

Re: Google play store

There are plenty of 'real people' who don't use Google Play Store. That's one reason why Android has cracked the market for mobile malware.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Google play store

"That's one reason why Android has cracked the market for mobile malware."

While Android does deserve some credit for being open, really it's the dumbarses infecting their devices that should be given most of the credit.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. disgruntled yank

Oh, dear

I blame it on Steve Bong.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like