back to article The Theory of Everything: Stephen Hawking biopic is immensely moving

“I think I just used science to trick you into watching a movie about feelings!” I apologised to my fellow science-loving film-goer after leaving The Theory of Everything. Although, to be fair, the posters make it clear that this is not the big screen depiction of Stephen Hawking writing A Brief History of Time, this is the true …

1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Poxy release dates

I really want to see this along with the recent Turner and Turing flicks. My nearest cinema is a very long way from home and has seats with all the comfort of a Gitmo torture appliance. Why can't the distributors dump their cosy arrangement with the cinema chains on BRD/DVD release dates and sell them when willing punters are offering to buy them?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Poxy release dates

Forget about complaining and just torrent the stuff. They won't learn anyway.

As Mr. Orlowski says "Who would stick it to the artist?". Well, the potentially paying but seriously miffed public, that's who.

Really, I have recently:

1) Seen myself in the utter impossibility to legally obtain the LHC movie "particle fever" over the Internet because of "regional restrictions" (duh? wuh?)

2) Had to fight with region-encoded DVDs and region-locked DVD readers. In 2014. I lost, btw.

2. Sir Sham Cad

Hawking's book black holes, baby universes and other essays gives a very good picture of him as a student and then working scientist as the disease progressed.

Well worth a read from a more Physics perspective.

3. Phil W

BBC Version

I haven't seen this yet but based on the trailers I think the BBC's version with Benedict Cumberbatch just titled 'Hawking' seems better.

4. MacroRodent

Weird

I find the idea of biopics of people that are still alive extremely weird. I wonder what the man himself thinks of it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Weird

Many a biopic has been made while the subject was still alive. There's the advantage of being able to get details straight from the horses mouth and the disadvantage of them trying to block things. Once they're dead you've lost the opportunity to get the former but can include any scandalous anecdote you wish. Just imagine how different a biopic of Jimmy Savile would have been pre and post death. in the end they are a bit of light entertainment based very loosely on a real person with the aim of making money. They are not thouroughly researched documentaries.

5. CAPS LOCK

If this is half as good as the BBC version it'll be excellent.

What, you haven't seen the BBC version. For shame. Youtube is your friend.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Forgive me

(please adopt south east uk accent)

They say wisdom makes you appy but look at tha steven awkin, he always looks misserable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Forgive me

Obviously, apart from making terrible cracks, you are unable to distinguish wisdom from intellect.

7. asdf
    Trollface

hmm

Have to be that guy. Hawking is a great theoretical physicist but is probably not the most famous scientist in the world just for his talent or contribution. Still I guess his life story is a lot more interesting than say that of those with more talent like Ed Witten.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon