back to article The Reg's review of 2014: Naked JLaw selfies, Uber and monkey madness

Facebook buying WhatsApp for nearly as much as Hewlett-Packard spent on Compaq in 2001? Well, 2014 was the year of the selfie, after all. Just don't let that snapshot of your bits get hacked. Leaked naked smartphone pics weren't this year's only embarrassing public spectacles: Microsoft's CEO put his foot in his mouth on women …

1. chivo243 Silver badge

10 page spread

no view all? Where the hell am I? Wired??

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Re: 10 page spread

Well said.

To El Reg: bring back the print formst button.

2. Ole Juul

tl;dr

3. Adam 1

Mobile version is all one page.

4. TheVogon

Something else rather of note about 2014:

December 2014 will soon be confirmed at 0.6C above normal which means 2014 was the warmest year in the Central England Temperatures series which began in 1659.

Year Ave temp (c)

2014 10.93

2006 10.83

2011 10.70

1990 10.63

1949 10.62

1999 10.62

2002 10.61

1997 10.53

1995 10.53

1989 10.50

2003 10.50

2004 10.48

2014 was also the warmest year recorded globally.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know it's a long article...

but a proof read would have worked wonders. This reads like a ten year old's homework assignment.

1. Sonny Jim

Re: I know it's a long article...

"lacking steering wheel, accelerator or break pedal "

" Sky News reckoned he was suffering heal problems that include a heart condition, a chronic lung complain"

"As November rolled in tow town a court in Sweden rejected his appeal "

"The smoking gun was the message one of Rigby’s attackers - Michael Adebowale - had sent to an oversees individual "

". In Barlow’s case, he and is Take Thaters were outed for avoiding £66m"

"So far, the sky hasn’t fallen and history is still breathing. By December, Google had received 174,226 - or 60 per cent - of versus 669 for search rival Bing from Microsoft."

"What will be Google’s response? Ultimately, take its toys home, as it’s provide it’s willing to do in Spain and Russia,"

There's more but I can't be bothered to find them

1. Adam 1

Apple Pay works using an NFC chip in the device with touch finger-print censor.

revenge cyber attack knocking the Hermit Kingdonm offline

2. auburnman

Glad I'm not the only one to notice. For the love of the Emperor, please hire a proofreader El Reg. Most of us don't mind the odd slip but this is just embarrassing.

3. GBE

"but a proof read would have worked wonders. This reads like a ten year old's homework assignment."

Yea, that was painful.

Most of it was decipherable despite the typos, subject/verb disagrements, incorrect/missing punction and various other grammar problems. There were a couple sentences where I just plain couln't figure out what they were supposed to mean: there seemed words missing (or perhaps extra ones thrown in by mistake).

3. David 14

Typo... small one

"Windows 2013" is not end-of-life in 2015... rather "Windows 2003".

Small item... figured it should be mentioned... love the article!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is amazing...

...how many arse clowns there are in this world. Farcebook and other social media highlights why the world has so many problems. People who could not find their arse with both hands and a road map are obsessed with social media and making a fool of themselves with selfies. These folks are short on brain cells and long on vanity. The future is anything but hopeful with these people.

5. midcapwarrior

"2014 seemed a long way from the Halcion-days of Linux-driven revenue from IBM"

When were these days?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This stinks

of a last minute article where the 'journo' was told to get in a year in review piece by tomorrow.

Poorly researched, incorrect facts and a plethora of spelling and grammar mistakes.

Hence why the 'journo' writes for an online tech website.

1. NotArghGeeCee

Re: This stinks

And, yet, you:

(a) read it;

(b) commented on it; and,

(c) clearly read the said "online tech website".

Other websites are available you know.

7. veti Silver badge

"JLaw"?

Is it just me, or does anyone else think "jlaw" sounds like a particularly tedious legal blog?

And then I realise it's a shortened name for some celebrity, and think "Oh good, I'm glad it's not just women who were hit by the nude photos thing. Though I'm surprised at Jude."

1. Ole Juul

Re: "JLaw"?

I'm pretty sure it's one of the G.711 algorithms like A-law and ulaw.

8. Christopher Rogers

Next up in 2015: end-of-life for Windows Server 2013.

Really? I'm properly behind the curve then!

9. Joe Gurman

US retirement age

There isn't one. People Larry Ellison's age could have retired with nominal Social Security income assistance when they were 66, but the could also have retired with demographically reduced payments as early as 62. The payments max out for those who retire at age 70; no adjustments after that.

Still, it's hard to believe Socisl Security figures in Larry's financial plans even at his reduced compensation. I suspect his gardener makes considerably more than the US$30K a year or so Larry will get from Social Security when he decides to retire.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: US retirement age

Wrong program title... In the U.S. it's not Social Security it's actually social Insecurity as no one can actually live on the amount received in retirement no matter what they contributed during their working career, which is often many multiples more than they ever receive when they chose to retire.

10. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Wrong term

"a back door named Shellshock"

That suggests it was designed and put in there by some agency who named it so. In fact it was just a by-product of some dumb design decisions/coding errors that became a real problem for some. Such as old web sites who passed user-supplied data *unsanitised* to bash, and obviously never met Bobby Tables.

11. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Minecraft is not the most popular

Again this rubbish about 100m downloads making Minecraft "the most popular game of all time". In 2010 (which, Reg writers should note, was a few years ago), Tetris was estimated to have sold over 170m copies. Sold, as in for money. There were probably a few pirated copies being played as well. Oh, and some knock-offs.

Minecraft isn't even a close second.

I suppose fact-checking isn't a priority for a fluff year-in-review piece, though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like