back to article ISC.org website hacked: Scan your PC for malware if you stopped by

The website for the Internet Systems Consortium, which develops the BIND DNS and ISC DHCP tools, has been hacked. Anyone who recently browsed ISC.org is urged to check their PC for malware as miscreants booby-trapped the site to infect visitors. The website has been replaced by a placeholder page warning netizens of the attack …

1. Mark 85

They use Wordpress?

Given the number of times that Wordpress has had.... shall we say... issues, I'm surprised anyone still uses it. Most people I know will never knowingly go to a page hosted there.

1. Ole Juul

Re: They use Wordpress?

Most people I know will never knowingly go to a page hosted there.

You're thinking of Wordpress.com, that's different from using the software locally. The article says:

ISC.org used WordPress as its CMS

1. Mark 85

Ah.. have an upvote. <slams head on desk> You're right and I'm an idiot on a Friday after a day off.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

I gave both of you an upvote.

For the respondent, for factual response.

For you, for the head-desk slam.

Though, I tend towards idiocy on off days, rather than work days. I can't afford it on those days. ;)

2. gollux
    Mushroom

Heh, that beautiful CMS environment strikes again.

Maybe we need Microsoft to buy out WordPress and rework the security. While I'm not a particular fan of Internet Explorer, it would be nice for WP to at least be as good as or better at not serving as an infection vector.

1. fearnothing

If you're serious about making it secure, why not name a company that really knows what it's doing there? Go whole hog - say Oracle.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"Go whole hog - say Oracle."

As Java is still not anywhere near a zero security patch per month, you've made a /dev/null point.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

Maybe we need Microsoft to buy out WordPress and rework the security.

Why would you want to make it worse?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

3. -tim
    Facepalm

Staging servers?

What happened to the practice of doing your content on a staging server and then promoting it to a locked down web server that doesn't have any ability to do much of anything?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Staging servers?

I'm curious as to why when a website is changed it doesn't report that change to an admin?

If this is a stupid question I apologize as I'm a simple computer user and interested reader of tech articles.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Scan your WINDOWS PC for malware if you stopped by

Please change title

<quote>

This package attempts to infect Windows PCs using security holes in Internet Explorer, Flash and Silverlight.

</quote>

Sensationalist Journalism, tsk tsk

5. Crazy Operations Guy

Why do websites like this even use a CMS anyway?

The content very rarely changes, and when it does the change is just an additional row to the top of a table and updating a link to point to a newer version of the manual / code repository / download location.

Just using Static HTML and some basic CSS, you could potentially reduce server costs by a substantial amount (Fewer processor cycles needed to build pages, less cruft added to the pages themselves, fewer servers now that a DB is no longer needed, etc). Plus no longer needing someone with WordPress skill on staff means they could hire someone to update the code.

Something like the OpenBSD website would be perfect for the ISC, a simple site that is centered around getting in, finding your answer / downloading the latest code, and getting out without wasting a lot of bandwidth and processing power to render crazy menu trasitions.

1. razorfishsl

Re: Why do websites like this even use a CMS anyway?

Sometimes people you work for insist that complexity and the cloud are the way to go... when all along they just need 50 pages served to the masses

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like