back to article SEXY GOLD FireFOXY LADY hits Japan in transparent kimono today

Japan's Au mobile network has launched a transparent-cased Firefox OS phone, in an unusual move for the free software community into an already well-established market. Mozilla's mobile OS is focused on the world's emerging markets, and particularly places such as South America where the operators - led by Telefonica - are …

1. PleebSmash
    Linux

specs

If it can run on the slowest Indian hardware, it will scream on 4 cores, right?

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: specs

It is a decidedly mid-level device being thrown into a high-end market, but it looks cool-ish. It's as though they figured out that Apple was onto something, but couldn't quite make out what it was.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Reminds me a bit...

Of my old 'special edition' transparent palm-pilot IIIe...

1. PNGuinn
      Coat

Re: Reminds me a bit...

I first read that as "my old 'special edition' transparent plant-pot."

Bonsai mobe anyone?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Transparent case added late in the design process no doubt

Otherwise they would have rearranged the design so the battery isn't sitting there taking up most of the view. Let's see all the tiny little antennas and PAs, various chips doing this and that.

Well, I guess that would eliminate the ability to open the case and swap the battery - but if it is sealed and the battery isn't swappable then that particular design could have been so much better. Not saying a transparent case is necessarily all that great, but it is unique, and the more complex they can make it look the more it will appeal to the steampunk set.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Transparent case added late in the design process no doubt

There appears to be a little cutout below the battery to enable removal by a fingernail, so I imagine the back comes off easily.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Transparent case added late in the design process no doubt

Good point. It is too bad, if there ever was a phone that could benefit from not having design compromises based on having a swappable battery, it is this one.

4. Martin Maloney
    Trollface

It occurred to me...

...that the trasparent phone would be the perfect accessory to enhance a mesh T-shirt or a see-through blouse.

5. earl grey
    Trollface

i'm so disappointed

I was fully expecting something NSFW instead of Not Fit For Purpose.

6. saif

All very modern but with 16 hours of talk time, and 30 days of standby...that is almost prehistoric as far as phones are concerned...

7. wayward4now

a picture would have been nice

...jus sayin'

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like