back to article Outsourcer Capita snaps up Solid State Solutions for undisclosed wonga

Outsourcing giant Capita has gobbled up Basingstoke storage company Solid State Solutions (S3) for an undisclosed sum. The £22m turnover business will sit within Capita's IT Enterprise Services tech biz. The company has 30 staff with more than 300 private and public sector clients. The move is likely to bolster Capita's …

1. msknight

Hmmm...

I wonder. Government puts business in the hands of SMB, makes them look profitable, then they get gobbled up by the big guns anyway. Or am I being too cynical here?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm...

I hate the word "cynical", I prefer to say "experienced". Next thing you'll be saying is that some of the work that has apparently been given to an SME has in fact been given to a wholely-owned subsidiary company of an outfit like IBM, for example, or EMC, perhaps. Now that would be cynical, wouldn't it?

2. chris 17 Silver badge

It noted that it will now have access to a datacentre accredited to a level which can offer enhanced security to protect sensitive information - a common requirement for central government departments and some agencies.

It's a co-location Data Centre meaning anyone with the cash can rent space, yes List-x and BIL3 too soo they also need a proper business case and likely customers too to park their gear in the secure bit. Capita can't be that stupid to think they needed to splash £22 for access to a co-location facility?

http://www.arrowecs.co.uk/ArrowECS/media/Main-Library/Corporate%20Brochures/Brochures%202013/SOURCE/SOURCE_FARNBOROUGH.pdf

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And to think, they could have spent just 10% of that and had us with access to three DCs from which to run their oh-so-secure requirements. Makes you wonder how they've been fulfilling government contracts to date!?

They need a Cloud Hero!...they seem to be everywhere these days!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the IBM angle?

Your picture shows what looks to me like the IBM customer centre at Hursley - and the only connection I can see is that it's also in Hampshire, albeit some 30 miles from Basingstoke.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like