back to article Windows Phone bumping along the bottom

Microsoft has revealed a new batch of data about Windows Phone's fortunes, and it seems Redmond's mobile efforts are doing best at the low end of the market. The good news is that Windows Phone 8.1 is now accounting for 65 per cent of Windows Phone app downloads, with Windows Phone 7 at under five per cent. The most popular …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. PCS

It would be interesting to see a like-for-like comparison for iPhone and Android phones.

2. RyokuMas
    Facepalm

Damn paperwork...

The problem I've found is getting the certifications for these areas - tried to get one for Brazil and the amount of hoops I found myself jumping through... certainly not a five-minute job!

3. arctic_haze
    FAIL

O tempora, o mores!

"Microsoft thinks it's ducks are in a row in its pursuit of those billion"

What pidgin is that written in?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I know this is heresy on the Reg comments but...

out of Android, IoS and Win Phone, I have to say I've found the Win phone has by far the best interface. The others feel so dated by comparison. Others that have used it are also very impressed and a couple are going to get one where their contracts expire. It had quirks, but only because you get so used to the iOS / Android way of working they seem odd, but when you look at it logically they do actually make sense.

The real let down is the lack of apps,not the major ones as most are there (except of course many of the Google ones), but more the mid range ones, such as online shopping apps.That said, the Nokia ones are pretty darned impressive such as Here (maps) and the photo apps.

I'm expecting a million down votes, mainly by people that have never used it, or by people that just hate MS, but this is just my view having used all three.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I know this is heresy on the Reg comments but...

I'm expecting a million down votes, mainly by people that have never used it, or by people that just hate MS, but this is just my view having used all three.

Taste is highly subjective. There is no right answer, only a more popular one and since you expect votes, you know that. I've also owned all three, and I actually prefer IOS's UI (but not the Apple restrictions). So does that make you wrong, or am I wrong?

2. Vince

Re: I know this is heresy on the Reg comments but...

You're not alone in liking the Windows Phone UI.

I really like the interface and find it slick and quick at things. it's very much like my Blackberry in terms of getting the chuff on with it. I own 3 phones, and my Android phone is least used these days.

The Blackberry is by far the most used because my world is messaging centric, and it really has got that nailed, and the Windows Phone is good for "leisure" type stuff - and photography (since I have the Lumia 1020). The android phone is good for... er, submitting my electric and gas readings...

5. dogged

wat

The Lumia 520 is the single lowest spec WP8 phone and from GSMArena -

Card slot microSD, up to 64 GB

Internal 8 GB, 512 MB RAM

And from your article -

Windows Phone 8.1 is now accounting for 65 per cent of Windows Phone app downloads, with Windows Phone 7 at under five per cent.

The most popular Windows Phone device is the low-end Lumia 520, which accounts for more than a quarter of all app downloads. Devices with fewer than 256MB of RAM dominate downloads with 71 per cent of the total, suggesting Windows Phone's most active users are using cheaper handsets.

Now, I am merely a programmer so obviously the "industry analyst" who supplied your figures knows more than me (quiet at the back), but since the only Windows Phones with 256MB of RAM (and there are exactly zero Windows Phones with "fewer than 256MB" as you state) are WP7 phones*,the statements are wholly contradictory.

I find this remarkable, if true.

It's not true though, is it?

*the only one I can think of is the Dell Venue Pro with the slide-out keyboard. Good idea, canned early because Dell only sold about 25 of them.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: wat

Devices with fewer than 256MB of RAM dominate downloads with 71 per cent

I always thought that WinPhones would have been in the mid-range, between Android and Apple - but they've ended up below Android, all on devices equivalent to the Galaxy Ace.

I can't justify porting my app to WP, even though I would like to.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any App

with adverts, unless it has a "Buy me for a couple of quid and I will cease the adverts option" is deleted the instant the first advert shows. I don't care how good that app is. I try to keep my life advert free as all it is now is adverts for the same old shit...

TV, adverts. Radio, adverts, the web, more effing adverts and now on my phone.

Its getting more and more of a pain to filter em out but filter em I do...

So, devs, by all means put em in but make sure I can stop em....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like