back to article POS malware crooks hack IP cams to validate targets

Carders operating the BackOff point of sales malware are hacking IP cameras to make sure their targets are worth attacking, says researcher Rotem Kerner says. The research plugs a "critical" gap in a July disclosure by the US CERT, which warned the popular carder malware was being flung at businesses using remote desktop …

1. J. R. Hartley

pleased to see ,e?

Please proofread.

This is fucking embarrassing.

1. Ole Juul

Re: pleased to see ,e?

I'd use the Tips and corrections link instead. But then that's just 'e.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Free, hot off the press, or proofread.... pick any two.

The local newspapers make El Reg look like a paragon of quality...

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Yes, while El Reg has a few typos, our local newspaper (southern daily echo) appears to have been largely taken over by illiterate 14 yr olds.

3. J__M__M

You should demand a refund.

2. Ole Juul

Browser clock?

Attackers appeared to be located in India according to analysis of requests made to command and control servers which revealed a web browser clock set to GMT+0530, and a new unpacked BackOff malware sample confirmed to have been developed in the country.

I'm not sure what "web browser clock" refers to in this context, but if it's something which indicates the OS time zone or locale, then I'd think it would be prudent to spoof it. I do that as part of what I consider private browsing, but perhaps I'm not understanding the intended meaning here.

1. EJ

Re: Browser clock?

I seed my PC with some random Mali family's photos and set the default Windows OS to Swedish to throw people off my trail.

3. The Vociferous Time Waster

@Ole

sure you do

1. Ole Juul

Re: @Ole

Well I Googled it and found nothing. Then I checked about:config in Firefox. Now I ran the EFF Panopticlick test. I'm getting nothing that uses the word clock. The only thing that I know which is browser related is an actual clock display on a desktop, and of course there are also plugins to display a clock right in some browsers. Both of those would require a screen shot as far as I know, so how would that tie into the article? A clock showing in the IP camera video would likely show the time in the store. If you actually know what the reference in the article is specifically talking about, I would appreciate you telling me what it is.

4. guntherv

javascript can get the UTC offset (not timezone name)

http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/jsref_gettimezoneoffset.asp

This is not a browser config, it's based on your OS locale

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

POS malware?

From your description, it looks quite sophisticated. But then again, maybe I'm not such a demanding customer.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Re: POS malware?

Ah, wasn't just me who read it that way then :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: POS malware?

I take it neither of us work in the retail industry. :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like