back to article Revealed: This year's STUDENT RACK WARS winner

While I had posted detailed results of the ISC’14 Summer Cluster Slam (here and here), I just realized that I had neglected to put out the final standings and analysis. This makes me an idiot. (Well, not only this, there are a lot of other things that contribute to that assessment as well.) First the big surprise: Team South …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's missing from this coverage is...

...what software are the winning teams running to get their compute jobs done.

This doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. The only thing I could find was at

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/14/guide_to_student_cluster_compos/?page=2

which says:

"The vast majority of teams run some flavour of Linux, although there were Russian teams in 2010 and 2011 who competed with a Microsoft software stack"

But presumably they are using some sort of HPC framework - HTCondor? Torque? Maui? Slurm? Something Hadoop-ish like YARN, Oozie, Cascading, Azkaban? Are they running tightly-coupled jobs with OpenMPI? Or did they roll their own framework?

There would be real value in knowing which approach worked best for the winning teams across the wide variety of tasks thrown at them.

2. Mephistro
    Thumb Up

Yep! A nice rack!

Nuff said.

3. batfastad

Pics or it didn't happen.

Pics or it didn't happen.

And splitting the article over 3 pages with about 4 paragraphs per page is annoying. Bumps up yer ad impressions though I spose.

4. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

I think this competition is amazing.

I think this competition is amazing; the amounts of processing power available these days is also amazing. These competitions push the state of the art of software (clustering, GPGPU/CUDA type setups), whatever software configuration tweaks and patches they make will come out and improve things for everyone. It also really pushes the state of the art of the hardware, showing which configurations work best for real workloads (speed and error-free execution).

Good work everyone!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon