back to article Facebook slammed for blocking protest event page at Russia's request

Russian political dissidents voiced their displeasure with Facebook on Monday after the social network blocked an event page promoting a demonstration on behalf of jailed opposition leader Aleksei Navalny. The page in question was reportedly blocked at the request of Roskomnadzor, Russia's state internet policing body. "We …

1. Florida1920
    Headmaster

It's called capitalism

That is all.

1. Ole Juul

Re: It's called capitalism

Indeed. Durov was somewhat biased when he said " . . . Mark Zuckerberg's firm had "no guts and no principles." They're just different principles.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

They're just different principles.

Yes, and they somehow lead to completely different outcomes depending on whether they are applied in the Middle East or in Russia. No Russian Spring in December, then.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

<< No Russian Spring in December, then.>>

Yes, hopefully not. None of the other "springs" have turned out so well, including the US supported coup in Ukraine (do you remember this little phone call?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL_GShyGv3o )

As much as you may not like Putin, he's a sane and moderate actor compared to some of those around him. You really don't want him to leave the stage suddenly to satisfy popular fantasies of spreading "freedom".

1. ItsNotMe
            WTF?

Re: Re: It's called capitalism @AC

As much as you may not like Putin, he's a sane and moderate actor compared to some of those around him. You really don't want him to leave the stage suddenly to satisfy popular fantasies of spreading "freedom".

Seriously? So I suppose you are either living in Russia, or closely connected to the regime. Way to suck up Ace.

The clown is a narcissistic egotist who wants nothing more than to turn the clock back to the 1960s.

About the only person not celebrating the 25th anniversary of the dismantling of the Berlin Wall was Putin. If he had his way...and he sure is trying hard to get it...that wall would still be in place...along with the CCCP.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't blame the Russians if they don't want a US sponsored Color Revolution.

See also: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26872866

3. John Savard

The Question

Does Facebook do business in Russia? If they hae people there, they may have no choice.

If they don't, that would be different, then I would unequivocally condemn the cowardice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Question

Oh, yes, of course, if Facebook doesn't have people in Russia then they are totally immune to Russian law and can totally ignore it, just like people living outside the USA can totally ignore US law, right? And all the more so if they don't have and don't want to have any users in Russia and don't mind being blocked.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's all relevant

I'm a British citizen, living in Britain, now let's say I act, online, in a manner that breaches US or Russian law. How would Therasa May respond to the extradition request:

- US: Roll over, lie on her back and let the nice attorney tickle her tummy

- Russia: Fuck off and die.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: It's all RELATIVE

Oops - I missed an auto correctisim.

2. Danny 14

Re: It's all relevant

not if Russia offers cheap gas then you'll be in Siberia before the week is out.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Another chip in the bucket

of all the reasons for which I do not and will never have a Facebook profile.

Well done, Zuck. At least you are consistently disappointing.

5. Zippy's Sausage Factory

When will this start happening in the US and UK?

Actually, now that I think about it, it probably has - it's just that the media have been asked not to report on it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like