back to article Stop Xiaomi, oh stop Xiaomi: Samsung to debut Tizen mobe in India in January

Hope springs eternal for Samsung and its Linux-based Tizen OS, which reportedly will find its way onto a smartphone early next year, despite repeated delays. According to the Korea Economic Daily, Sammy will release its first Tizen handset – dubbed the Samsung Z1 – in India on January 18, 2015 at a price of "less than 100,000 …

1. Captain DaFt

>Android waves hand<

"This Tizen't the phone you're looking for."

2. Salts

Will wait for...

The Ubuntu powered one as it is alleged it is due from bq in Feb 2015

http://thevarguy.com/ubuntu/122214/ubuntu-linux-phone-bq-ship-february-2015

That's what I like to see, just like buses they all come at once :-)

1. K

Re: Will wait for...

Would love to see it myself, but odds are it will be a very niche product. Android and iOS have armies of developers writing apps for them, I just don't see how Ubuntu would hope to compete.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

How Ubuntu competes

I could not quickly find the number of software packages in the Ubuntu repository, but it rides on the back of Debian with over 37500 packages. Lack of developers or software is not a problem. What is a problem is that Android/iOS users have invested in software, but Linux users expect more for free. Even worse, everyone getting a percentage from an app store would rather not compete with a Linux distribution.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: How Ubuntu competes

"Packages" is meaningless from the mobile user's point of view.

Linux is riddled with redundant components. You can see what's in those 40k "packages" here:

https://packages.debian.org/stable/allpackages?format=txt.gz

9 different packages for different versions of ACPI support for various CPUs... similar redundancy (and/or irrelevance to the mobile experience) is all over the place.

Not that the "number of apps" metric is much better. Ubuntu dodges the question, saying they are "fast evolving." Who in this bare-bones space is expecting apps to sell, anyway? The most Canonical can hope for is that the OS pulls an Ouya and becomes the platform of choice for piracy, with compatibility layers for cracked Android/iOS apps, old consoles, and the like.

Other than that the phones will live and die as low cost platforms for a few, critical free apps — social networks and perhaps e-commerce apps if the phone gets really deep penetration in India.

2. K

Re: How Ubuntu competes

"but it rides on the back of Debian with over 37500 packages"

Good luck with that.. As a Linux admin and developer, I scream from the roof tops how good Linux is and how it excels as a server OS, but there are reason its had very limited desktop success.

80% of those packages will be server applications, a further 10% will be console only, then the final 10% might be GUI, most of which were designed in 2000-2005 and in desperate need of a makeover, they will also be completely unuseable on a phone-sized screen.

3. David Austin

Bada 2.0

What makes them think this will go any better than Bada did?

If I was going to back a new phone platform - and between Windows Mobile, iOS, Android, and BBOS, I'm not sure there is room or need - I'd put my money on Firefox OS.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh Tizen.... Tizen Tizen Tizen Tizen...... TIZEN!!!

Honestly, I wanted Tizen (and Sailfish too) to succeed, but a new OS entrant, to the mobile market, is bloody hard. The last good chance of a successful new entrant was murdered by those morons at HP. Blackberry murdered itself. Firefox OS is moribund. It's a sad state of affairs, but, at the moment, if you're not Androd or iOS (or Windows Phone?), your prospects aren't looking good.

5. tempemeaty

I keep hoping for Tizen to come out and succeed.

It's my belief that another good mobe OS is needed. I think the Asian companies have the balls and follow through ethic to get it done. IMHO most western companies don't...other than Google.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I keep hoping for Tizen to come out and succeed.

The problem is that Tizen is owned by Samsung, so no one else would release a Tizen phone. For a competitor to Android to emerge I think it needs to be truly open source (not 'mostly open source' like Android) and not tied to one company's self-interest like Android is. There needs to be a compelling reason for OEMs to design phones around it rather than just taking the easy way out by using Android.

The problem is, what incentive do people have to write that OS if there isn't something in it for them. The noble open sourcers tend to only work on stuff that interests them, and few are interested in designing user interfaces and polishing them. They'd rather code some cool new feature, which is why it took so long for the Linux desktop to get to a state where it would be acceptable to the average user.

6. b0hem1us

Not true. Tizen is a Linux foundation led. Samsung, Intel and the others are just on the steering committee.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like