back to article Fancy a .trust domain? How's $150,000 sound?

The NCC Group has revealed how much it expects to sell new .trust domains for: $150,000. And that's just the wholesale price. The idea for the new domains is that they will be super-secure. Back in October, NCC Group published an extensive security rulebook that all .trust domains will be expected to follow. The company is …

1. Michael Hawkes
    Black Helicopters

If I had the money to spend

I'd buy no.trust, dis.trust, and mis.trust, but then again, maybe I'm just being cynical.

1. Ben Tasker

Re: If I had the money to spend

I'm all for holding banks to higher standards, but it isn't going to work if you're charging 150k for a domain. How many are going to pay that when other TLDs are available?

Even if it were cheaper, it still isnt going to work. If users are too stupid to think therealhsbc.geocities.com is their bankimg login page (or more likely, don't even glance at the address bar) then it doesn't matter whether it's hsbc.trust or hsbc.honestguvitsreallyus.

Aside from making NCC money, the only real benefit I can see is the extra weight carried by "your site is insecure, fix it or we'll suspend your 150k domain" - except you've got to get the customers first.....

1. P. Lee

>I'm all for holding banks to higher standards,

Good luck with that. Banks follow their own internal practises and they generally have enough business that they can tell people like the PCI-DSS enforcers where to go. They also really do not want domain-name proliferation which gets people used to the idea of multiple domain suffixes for them. That just leads to easier phishing. There's also little marketing use as few people will know how much it costs or why that should translate into security. A registrar telling a bank how to be secure? I don't think so.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There might be a margin from cybersquatting 'ingodwe'.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd love me a one .overpriced for $150k

1. theblackhand

Maybe...

Would you be interested in a .itspracticallystealing domain for ONLY US$100,000?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

150k you say? For a virtual asset you don't control. Doesn't sound very appealing.

4. wolfetone Silver badge

I trust

that you're just taking the piss with this and not being serious.

5. HighHo

Yes ultra secure, because the price will stop someone starting the domain yourbank.trust.verify.account.fake (replace .fake with any real TLD) from people that fall from phishing scams.

6. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

The Lads from Lagos...

... want to buy 419.trust...

1. deshepherd

Re: The Lads from Lagos...

... but their bank account has been frozen so can someone please send them their bank account details as they can send payment via your account plus they'll leave an extra $150k in your account as a thank you

7. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

Any interest in

moist.von.lipwig.trust ?

OK, OK, I'm going. The one with "Making Money" in the pocket please

8. Ian Michael Gumby

A rose by any other name...

Does any domain name inspire trust because that's what the domain name implies?

The first time one of these domain names gets hacked, and they will... You lose that trust forever.

This is where their business model fails.

In short ... They are doomed to fail from day one

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A rose by any other name...

I don't think it has any trust to begin with.

It sounds like you're trying to hard to make people trust you.

Might as well call your website not-a-scam.com

9. Adolph Clickbait

Wonder if ...

Hammerite will register "remove" (maybe just for Yorkshire)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: Wonder if ...

It took me a moment but have a beer and an upvote.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon