back to article Nunslinger, Yosemite For Dummies and Life Inside The Fall

El Reg bookworm Mark Diston is joined by Andrew Orlowski to review the pick of publishing this week. A compilation of works from mysterious Stark Houghton tells tall tales of the wild west. Mac users can brush up their skills or get a break from hapless relatives with the latest from Bob LeVitus. And music lovers get a down to …

1. Bleu

Well, Mark E.

Made some great songs, I cannot recall any of the other members displaying common human decency at the time.

2. PhilipN Silver badge

National treasure?

I can just imagine MES's response to that. But he is, for good reason. 99% of today's bands could select six different sounds - riffs, chord progressions, snatches of melody, what have you - from any one of a large portion of The Fall's output and make at least 6 different tracks out of them. Not because today's bands are any good: because The Fall's output is endlessly and monumentally inventive.

Amen.

Alternatively just listen to Sparta FC or What About Us or a bunch of others and get your rocks off.

Good review - thanks

3. Jan 0 Silver badge
    Boffin

How about something "Not for Dummies"?

Is there an up to date equivalent of "Mac OS X for Unix Geeks"?

1. breakfast Silver badge

Re: How about something "Not for Dummies"?

I found a copy of "C For Dummies" in an old box of books. I really wanted it just to contain one page that said "C is not for dummies. If you consider yourself to be in any way a dummy, you really shouldn't involve yourself with C."

4. DocJames
    Headmaster

Personal bugbear

LeVitus mostly tows the Apple party line

I think you mean "toes", unless he pulls it along behind him in a conga train.

1. Robin

Re: Personal bugbear

Beat me to it.

I'll just leave this here.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not even a nod to Ed Dorn's "Gunslinger"

...upon whose experimental form this Western is obviously modelled?

6. Bleu

OK, my previous post was perhaps poorly phrased.

I look forward to reading the former book, if it's available, I will buy it from the book section at Tower.

... but they sure came across as a snooty lot in that incarnation, only bunches worse that I've seen were New Order, the Clash, and PWEI.

Then again, PWEI and the Clash wanted nothing to do with the audience.

Then again again, only the Fall and PWEI had sounds worth hearing, and were not those sounds great?

7. J-Wick

Oh, that Yosemite

I thought the book was about the National Park. 0/10 would not misconstrue again.

1. Hollerith 1

Re: Oh, that Yosemite

Yes, I thought 'Tips on how to view geysers! Rare creeks not to miss! Expert trails!'

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon