back to article Why the chemistry between Hollywood, physics and maths is so hot right now

Folks in the scientific know like to pick apart movies about science and science fiction, pointing out all the ways in which they don’t embrace real facts and theories. They also love to complain about how nerds are so often portrayed on film the same way, as socially inept weirdos, sweet maybe, but not really taken seriously. …

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

needs moar science?

Film makers and script writers (especially in Hollywood) mostly seem to have no idea at all about the science behind the films they're making. Sometimes, though very rarely, I do see something where they get the science mostly right. I can only really think of three films that stand out because the science part is believable and actually adds to the enjoyment...

Proof (2005). OK, more about maths than science, but the premise is totally believable as is how they figure out who wrote the proof in the end. Also, the rant about jojoba oil and how hair is dead raised a chuckle.

The Arrival (1996). Charlie Sheen plays a SETI action hero in this alien invasion conspiracy film. Best science bit is where he builds a telescope array out of "borrowed" TV satellite dishes. Just when you're thinking it can't work because they're pointing the wrong way, you see him taking control and steering them all. Hooray for making radio interferometry a plot device.

Primer (2004). All the science and engineering talk is slightly gobbledegook, but at least it has the ring of authenticity about it. As for the actual time travel, it gets my thumbs up because apparently the only slightly possible way we might have of making it work is to go back to the time and place where we built or turned on the first time travel device (but we can't go back any further). There was one glaring mistake, but I can let it slide because the film worked as a whole. The error was when they were removing the two 12v batteries. Going from 24v and removing one 12v battery gives 0v, not 12v, because the batteries were in series. Schoolboy error!

Honourable mentions:

Virtual Nightmare (2000). A made-for-TV virtual reality film. In most such films, the VR is just a convenient McGuffin or excuse to indulge in special effects (eg, Matrix, Lawnmower Man). Watching this has aspects of an Asimov or PKD short story, along with reminders of They Live, Stepford Wives among others. Thumbs up because the rationale for the virtual world pretty much works, unlike, say, the Matrix's terrible "humans as batteries" premise. I just happened to see this on TV one day, and I think that it deserves to be better known.

Limitless (2011). Like the previous one, this is more sci-fi than real science. I'll even let it off for oft-repeated lie that "we only use x percent of our brain". Gets a mention because I like the kind of sci-fi where the advanced technology has clear downsides and isn't just a panacea (eg, like in most of Star Trek).

Pi (1998). Again, more sci-fi (and maybe supernatural) than science, but I'm giving it a mention due to the fact that the protagonist is at least trying to follow scientific methods. Not sure whether the auto-trepanation at the end is more phrenology than neuro-science, but it's satisfyingly in keeping with the science vs mysticism debate running through the rest of the film.

I know that film-making has a large dose of make-believe (even biographical stuff or things "based on real events"). It's part of the implied contract when we sit down to watch something. Based on the above (maybe—feel free to disagree) I think that it is possible to tell a good story and not offend the critical, scientific mind too much. There's probably won't be that much food for thought in this film, but maybe enough that it'll be worth watching as a historical/science-based flick rather than a straight romance/drama. It's worth remembering what Hawking himself said about A Brief History of Time, that (paraphrasing) each formula included would halve the readership. He ended up with no formulas at all (<pedant>apart from that one</pedant>), so we probably shouldn't expect that much hard science from the film either.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Regarding Primer

I think it improbable we could send a little information back in time, let alone matter. But what if an early warning system could send a little data back in time, even if just a few hours? The implications would could be astonishing (not to mention unpredictable), especially if the people in the past acted on the data from the future. Is the local, physical universe, even able to cope with a sudden change in reality? What about the human mind?

Yours,

An AC Back To The Future Fan

2. Suricou Raven

No surprise, really.

Of course it focuses on the characters and has minimal science. Hawking and Turing work in fields where you'd need a program the length of the movie just to get a basic lay understanding of what they are working on.

Look at how science is covered in documentaries these days to see what the public interest in that is. The highest-rated 'documentary' series of recent years includes one claiming ancient monuments are actually landing grounds for flying saucers, one claiming dragons actually existed, and one saying that scientists are covering up mermaids. I tried to watch what looked like a reasonable program on Egyptian history this morning, and halfway through it turned into a presentation on pyramid energy.

Science is interesting to many people, yes. But it isn't nearly as interesting as a crafted story of lies.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I remember a National Geographic thing on giant spiders (the seriously big dog-sized version, not the hand-sized Tarantula kind), purporting to report on said creatures in some South American jungle. Not a giant spider in sight, of course, but plenty of interviews with people swearing that they had seen one.

All the time I was watching it I was thinking "is this how far National Geographic has fallen ?".

2. mrjobby
      Coat

Re: No surprise, really.

"...and one saying that scientists are covering up mermaids."

I should hope they are covering up mermaids - those saucy lasses have always got their baps hanging out. No wonder they are such a danger to sailors!

My coat? Yes, it would be the bright yellow oilskin.

3. PleebSmash
    Holmes

B.C.

Benedict Cumberbatch needs to play a character that isn't an eccentric, genius, or eccentric genius.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: B.C.

But this way he only ever needs to do about an hour of acting and they can just CGI different clothes to do the different roles.

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge
  4. J.G.Harston Silver badge

prognosis not diagnosis. A two-year prognosis is "you've got two years to live". A two-year diagnosis is "after doing tests for two years we've worked out what's wrong with you".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Just don't think too hard about it

Science fiction is as much written for scientists as ghost stories are written for ghosts.

1. Chris G

Re: Just don't think too hard about it

But interestingly a lot of Sci-fi is written by scientists and people with scientific/technical training.

2. Sooty

Re: Just don't think too hard about it

Science fiction is as much written for scientists as ghost stories are written for ghosts.

It very much depends on what you mean by Science fiction. People talk as if it's once single thing, but it actually covers quite a range. There is actually a scale of Science Fiction "hardness".

Soft sci-fi is closer to fantasy, but the hard sci-fi is where people have actually done the maths and it all checks out.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The fact that there’s a lot of Oscar buzz around both The Imitation Game and The Theory of Everything, and more tangentially around Interstellar, already hints at something of a change in how the sciences are being viewed by the arts. If Interstellar were to win an Oscar, it would be one of the very rare moments that the Academy recognised a science fiction film."

The "genius disabled person" trope is a staples of the Oscars. Rain Man, Forrest Gump, A Beautiful Mind, My Left Foot, Scent of a Woman, Shine, Ray. It's about the fastest way to get a nomination for best film, and the producers of this probably know it which is why it was a) released late in the year b) had a limited release in cinemas to qualify for a nomination.

Personally, I loved Interstellar. It'll be in the 9 nominated films, but won't win. Nolan will one day make a film about an ex-Nazi teaching a black, disabled, single mother and win best film for it, but while he's still making terrific mainstream fare he doesn't stand a chance. And that was a film that was at its core, about science.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
      Happy

Loved Interstellar too.

It was the first science fiction film I've ever seen that didn't have me screaming "You idiots!" at the screen at one point or another, either due to characters hugging the idiot ball or completely ignoring an obvious solution.

None of the characters in Interstellar did anything that should have been obviously stupid to them at the time. They made serious mistakes, they had drama and argued, but they stayed true to character and called each other out on their mistakes - and even seemed to learn from them.

It's so rare to have a science fiction film where the mistakes the characters made were actually believable!

7. John Sager

Imitation Game - good drama, crap history

I was disappointed by it, though perhaps my preconceptions were wrong. Having read a fair bit about BP and the various endeavours there the portrayal of much of that in the film was risible. I would even go so far as to say that Alastair Denniston, had he been alive today, would have a good case for a libel action. But then any good drama has to have a baddy - better be one that can't sue!

8. Andy00ff00

+1 for calling it "maths" with an 's'

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like