back to article Canon Digital Ixus 80 IS compact camera

Not long ago we looked at the Digital Ixus 70 IS and now comes the follow up, the Digital Ixus 80 IS. So is it a case of the same chocolates in a different box or has Canon radically redefined this camera sector? First impressions are that the Digital 80 IS has that cool “Ixus look” – our model was sleek, silver, stylish and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

we don't want more pixels on small sensors

"indeed some might suggest that it’s just a smidgeon light on features, such as ... and more pixels on the CCD"

see here:

http://6mpixel.org/en/

2. Alex

Agreed (somewhat)

I sort of agree with you.

More pixels in such a tiny area is pointless. I think we hit the highest resolution for a 'digital camera' a year or two ago.

I want my digital cameras to have BIGGER sensors. Yup, I want a 35mm sensor with the correct number of pixels in it (personally, I do not know how many that would be). ideally, a nice Mamiya with 35mm digital back along with a medium format digital back... oh wait.. dont' they have those already...?

Anyway, bring on the not-making-lense-ratios-more-complex digital cameras :o)

3. jedd

Full frame (wars)

Interesting article above, on '6mp is the optimum for compact cameras'.

I spent some time around the middle of last year looking at CC's and ended up getting the Ixus 70. From this review, and a quick comparison on Canon's site against this model, I really can't see any compelling reasons to spend the extra $A100 for the 80 over the 70.

As to full frame (35mm) sensors - there's pros and cons with this. I used to think the same way, but Four-thirds (wikipedia it) looks like a much better option to me now. I'm not invested with either Canon or Nikon high-end gear, so a new standard is a more attractive option than siding with either of those two company's lock-in approach anyway.

Fascinating article about four-thirds ("Full Frame Wars") over at : http://www.digitalsecrets.net/secrets/FullFrameWars.html - he writes especially coherently, doing an excellent history of 35mm and then some analysis of full frame sensors as well as looking at four-thirds.

4. Steve
    Dead Vulture

my comment?

And where did my earlier comment go then?

A bit of critisism about reviewing a camera at least one generation old and ignoring the plethora of isus models releases since and it gets removed?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like