back to article Woz moves to Oz

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has become a permanent resident of Australia. “Woz” has lived in Australia on and off for a few years now and recently picked up a gig as an adjunct professor at Sydney's University of Technology. According to The Australian Financial Review he's now taken the plunge and moved down under to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

I love photos like that

"Hey Woz, lets take a picture of me acting like I'm doing something that looks techie while you sit there and work".

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Ah Tassie...

If heaven existed it would be like Tasmania.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Ah Tassie...

I understand being your own son is less of a mystery in Tasmania,

Or at least being your own brother-in-law is quite common.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>> Or at least being your own brother-in-law is quite common.

nah, sydneysider myth. All the tassies left years ago so mostly dope heads from Sydney and pommie land there now.

2. Denarius
      Thumb Down

Happy to leave. No work, foul damp climate inbetween droughts on east coast, sacred swamps and dull scrub soaked in drizzle and rain on west coast. Full of old crap cramped buildings. At least Hobart still looks like Hobart, not another dreary glass box clone of every city elsewhere. Only place in Oz where one gets claustrophobia, in the open. Narrowness of valleys only matched by narrowness of minds. Booze and food better on mainland if one is not into whiskey. Bass Strait Islands excepted. Ah, cheeses made with good milk and care. I suppose Woz will join the hordes of economically displaced Sydneysiders looking for a place you can afford to live without being a banking or real estate thug or drug lord.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

What a strange way to describe paradise. Whoops, I forgot! Gotta stop those immigrants coming here. No work, foul damp climate...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"If heaven existed it would be like Tasmania."

...pending the disappearance of the Devils.

But I hear we're not very far from that, sadly...

3. Vizesnyolcas

Apple trees gone

Tasmania is no longer the Apple Island – used to be before the UK joined the EU. Since then Britons, if they wish to keep their doctors away, are forced to purchase European sourced (overpriced and inferior quality) fruit. Apple graveyards are still abundant in Tassie, a very sad picture indeed.

1. Sir Sham Cad

Re: Apple trees gone

I'm surprised the locals haven't turned it into a massive booze making economy. Surely there's a market for Australian Cider?

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: Apple trees gone

Not massive; we have government that is opposed to that kind of thing.

http://williesmiths.com.au/

Very tasty it is, too.

4. SMEMatt

"has beaches to die for" that describes most of Australia namely there are a lot of thing in the water that want to kill you. Then again staying on dry land is more dangerous.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Quality of life...

<<"Has beaches to die for" that describes most of Australia namely there are a lot of thing in the water that want to kill you. Then again staying on dry land is more dangerous.>>

Why is it that in any discussion even vaguely related to Australia, it's only a matter of minutes before some illiterate Skip starts talking about the dangerous wildlife there? Is that all there is to that miserable desert island?

Apart from the "massive prawns"?

1. P. Lee

Re: Quality of life...

>Is that all there is to that miserable desert island?

Well, on the way from Adelaide to Melbourne last week there was a town with the following listed on its brown tourist information/points of interest road sign:

"Land Rover on a Pole"

Exciting stuff indeed! I never did find the poor Eastern European, though I did take a picture of the sign.

5. Handy Plough

"The Woz-ard of Oz"

THIS is The Register I knew and loved!

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
      Coat

Re: "The Woz-ard of Oz"

Only whiter.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Woz oz visa cost $$$$

Just pay and we'll call you distinguished person. What have you done recently?

7. OzBob

Seriously?

Woz is moving to the one part of Australia that always gets left off the souvineers? (Did you ever see a plate or ash-tray of Aussie with a Tasmania on it?)

8. razorfishsl

WAZ should have come to Hong Kong...... better tax rate , close to manufacturing and great opportunities.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like