back to article Nork-ribbing flick The Interview AXED: Sony caves under hack terror 'menace'

Sony Pictures has confirmed the inevitable and cancelled the December 25 launch of The Interview after most major theater chains refused to run it. "The ability of our guests to enjoy the entertainment they choose in safety and comfort is and will continue to be a priority for theater owners," said the National Association of …

1. Ole Juul

"All eyes are now on the hacker's next move."

"The ability of our guests to enjoy the entertainment they choose in safety and comfort is and will continue to be a priority for theater owners,"

Without the Sony launch, I guess that's taken care of then. I have a feeling (and sincerely hope) that the terrorist angle is just posturing, but I'll be watching the hackers for their next move as my personal choice of entertainment. (Sorry Sony, no royalties there.)

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

Thank God for the NSA's Internet surveillance program

Obviously, the NSA's tracking everything that moves over the Internet, in order to prevent terrorism (cyber included), certainly did a lot to thwart that hacking & data theft at Sony, the world's largest cyber terrorism attack if the claims that as much as 100TB was stolen are true.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Thank God for the NSA's Internet surveillance program

I bet that 100TB just showed up as duplicate data.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Obviously, the NSA's tracking everything that moves over the Internet, in order to prevent terrorism (cyber included), certainly did a lot to thwart that hacking & data theft at Sony, the world's largest cyber terrorism attack if the claims that as much as 100TB was stolen are true. ....The Man Who Fell To Earth

There would be a school of thought thinking of the possibility that the NSA are involved and experimenting in very deep and dark web waters of novel non-determinate consequences in a virtual strike against the airing of the notion that select political leader assassinations are a valid solution to global problems and austerity measures for the introduction and infusion of chaos into CHAOS for madness and mayhem .... for such leaders are the core drivers and architects of everyone's woes in such circumstances, are they not?

Indeed, is that not the default Western Five Eyes Way with remote killer drone target practice trying to take over Command and Control of foreign minds and alien assets in other time zones? It is though a real dumb program which unleashes countless crazy lone wolverine packs getting smarter information and more effective intelligence every day with orders and passions to server the gander as the goose. ....... for what you give, is what you get. Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am. And is that not perfectly fair and reasonable and fully to be expected and welcomed?

IT's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and why do y'all meekly accept it so and allow earnest arrogant fools to be the useless blunt ignorant tools that you perceive to lead and provide future guidance with chaos into CHAOS ..... Cloud Hosting Advanced Operating Systems. Are you crazy mad too and lacking SMARTR CyberIntelAIgent Service and Servers?

You do know there is always an App with Gateways which Mature and Cure for that? Yes?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"IT's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and why do y'all meekly accept it so and allow earnest arrogant fools to be the useless blunt ignorant tools that you perceive to lead and provide future guidance with chaos into CHAOS"

But isn't that just *society* as a whole? There is an argument that societies are just mass delusions that people buy into to live in a certain manner with a certain amount of prediction.

Pratchett was incredibly accurate. We choose not to see.

2. Don Dumb
          Go

amanfromMars1

@amanfromMars1 - You're back, I for one have missed your incomprehensible (to me) ramblings. Glad to see you posting again.

3. Jim 59

@amanfrommars1 - thank you for that crisp summary, you mad bot.

@the bot wrangler - come on man, it was better before. 1 sentence per paragraph ? It sounds like Russel Brand now.

1. Hero Protagonist

But one @amanfrommars sentence has the strength of 10 human sentences.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Good heavens, you were nearly intelligible there for a bit! Well done that box of bits!

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Wow.

What have you been drinking and can I have some?

Did I just drop into some alternative universe where paragraphs become sentences and we're all paranoid fools... Oh wait.

6. Mark 85

IT's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and why do y'all meekly

Points for that reference. Now to go watch it again.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ The Man who Fell to Earth

Probably another reason why cybersecurity should be moved out from under the NSA. They spend too much time figuring out how to hack everyone else, vs. protecting U.S. IT networks.

Unfortunately, we will probably now see other hacker collectives/state-sponsored hackers trying to stifle free speech and thought, now that The Interview has been forced out of the theaters.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
          Devil

Unfortunately, we will probably now see other hacker collectives/state-sponsored hackers trying to stifle free speech and thought, now that The Interview has been forced out of the theaters.

I expect as much once the sequel to Erin Brockovich is slated for release.

4. ecofeco Silver badge

*snerk*

Upvoted.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge

Re: "All eyes are now on the hacker's next move."

The only way to stand up to a bully is hit him as hard as you can in the mush. You might get some bruises, but keep it up and he'll go away eventually.

Caving to these morons will only make things worse over time and the stolen info will be released.

Grow a pair Sony. You might have made a few Bob releasing after all the free publicity. Now? Doubt it.

1. Charles 9

"The only way to stand up to a bully is hit him as hard as you can in the mush. You might get some bruises, but keep it up and he'll go away eventually."

Except when it backfires, he and his gang beat you into the hospital and rear-door you while they're at it and then escape prosecution because the leader's dad is the mayor and they know secrets that can topple several members of city council.

2. Cynic_999

So, would you send your wife & kids to see the film at a high-profile cinema knowing that the threat has been made?

3. swschrad

nah, all eyes are on Sony's next move

they DO have one. the most likely, considering one of the papers dislodged by the Nut Koreans referred to a MafIAA plan to freak the DNS servers as a piracy retort, would be to seed The Interview direct to torrents.

the Nut Koreans, wild and kicking out walls, would then wage war on the torrents.

so Sony wins in the end in their phantom war against the wrong guys, and the MafIAA would let them back in the club for liquid lunches.

2. InfiniteApathy

Very disappointed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In who?

Yourself for being a pawn in the terrorists Sony hating game?

Man up, see that YOU (and the media) have all been played for fools. Sony is no different to any other corporate, this could just as easilly been ANY large US corporate.

All this has done has shown how embarrassingly naieve and manipulatable most Americans are.

3. Thorne

If I was Sony I'd release it free to download. If they think they can keep people from seeing it with threats, a world wide release free stops them dead in their tracks and has the opposite effect they were hoping to get.

1. P. Lee
      Joke

>If I was Sony I'd release it free to download.

Didn't they already do that?

Sorry, I know its old already.

1. IglooDude

Re: >If I was Sony I'd release it free to download.

Yeah, but they embedded DRM in it and so no one would touch it.

2. Alan W. Rateliff, II

Much capitulation, such disappointment

I am disappointed that theaters would fold and not show it. I am more disappointed that Sony are folding. Indeed, the cyber-terrorists have won and this sets a dangerous precedent.

What happened to my America where we would thumb our noses at such threats and go forth in full force just to spite the bastards? What would our countrymen on flight 93 say, who stood up and saved so many with their own sacrifice? How disappointed my grandfathers would be, who collectively fought in every war since the Revolution. What happened to our balls?

Anyway, initially, I was not going to see this movie but I decided that if Sony and my local theater would stand up for Right I would plonk down my $8.25 plus snacks to partake.

Well, if Sony is going to lose money by not showing it, maybe it will release to torrent.

1. Salts

Re: Much capitulation, such disappointment

If I was to make a guess, this is not Sony or the Theaters, it will be the insurance companies, they don't care about the threat as such, just the loss and they will have pulled all insurance, making it impossible for a business to show the movie :-(

1. swschrad

Sony could lease a theater and show the darn thing

take on all responsiblity, etc.

or it could be shown at National Guard armories.

considering it got mixed reviews at best in the California premiere, I'm betting they use the movie to sacrifice the torrents to the wildmen.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

While I agree with your overall sentiment, and think what the Flight 93 people did was heroic, they didn't risk their lives doing so. They acted because they knew they were going to die anyway, so they felt they had nothing to lose at that point.

Seems the majority of Americans are happy to hide in their houses if they're warned against sticking their noses outside. The Americans of a hundred years ago would have nearly to a one stuck their noses outside to thumb it at those making threats, and not let anyone tell them where they can go or what they can do. Guess our borders have been too safe for too long.

Don't remember who wrote it (probably Heinlein or Asimov) but I remember long ago reading a book about a future world where mankind had basically cured all disease, including old age, so the only way you could die was an accident or murder. The people became completely isolated from one another, since everyone was afraid of taking even the slightest risk of an accident and didn't want to take the risk of being around another person, since they might have harm done to them. Those sci-fi greats could be really on the mark sometimes...

1. James Micallef Silver badge

+1 DougS

That was Asimov's Spacers, who also had tons of robots to do everything for them. Live for 400-odd extremely boring years

1. mike2R

@Salts If that was true, surely the theatres could have appealed to the government. Or gone public with the reason and tried to shame the insurers into changing the decision.

I don't want to American-bash here - I'm not entirely sure that Britain is any better - but especially coming on top of the farcical panic over Ebola, it is creating the impression that modern America is pretty gutless. Not perhaps the best image for a superpower.

1. g e

Except their policies probably have clauses saying you will not defame or otherwise impune the good character of the insurer.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch
                Headmaster

or otherwise impune

It's "impugn". A bit of an oddball spelling and one of only a few words with "ugn" in it. My /usr/share/dict/words also lists "pugnacious", "repugnant" and "smugness", along with variants.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Oninoshiko
        Joke

Look at the bright side, we now know if we don't like a film we just need to make threats against theaters to shut it down.

In unrelated news they are doing another bad Star Wars film.

3. Andy Gates

See, I'd agree with that, but Sony? It'll be a cold day in Pyongyang before they release something free when they could monetize it. It's not so much "free speech" as "valuable product", y'see.

I'd love to watch the exec's faces when some intern suggests that they put it up for torrent. :)

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It also angers GOP, and means a prolonged campaign against Sony, which is really good if you are a buthurt Xbox fanboy, the press, or some other braindead Sony hating pawn.

1. swschrad

we can make more Sony haters right now...

(whispers) ROOT... KIT... (glass globe rolls down stairs and breaks)

5. harmjschoonhoven
      Unhappy

>If I was Sony I'd release it free to download.

Indeed. Sony gets old and has forgotten their Judo lessons.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

One reason why Sony has lost it's bottle, Japan is in range of the Fat Dictators rockets.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

F*ck the terrorists.

I'd watch it just as a gesture, whether it was good or bad.

1. Mark 85

I'd go only if were good. Why reward Sony out of defiance with profit for a bad film.

1. Thorne
        Pirate

"I'd go only if were good. Why reward Sony out of defiance with profit for a bad film."

How about we pirate it and f#$k Sony and the terrorist at the same time?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> How about we pirate it and f#$k Sony and the terrorist at the same time?

I like your thinking.

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
          Pirate

Torrents are available

I for one will be downloading and reseeding as many as I can find, just for the hell of it. Probably won't watch it, mind you, it sounds like shite.

GJC

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge

Re: Torrents are available

Interestingly, I've yet find a genuine torrent. Looks like the malware-mongers are having a field day with this one.

GJC

3. Mark 85

So why pirate a bad movie? I, personally, have better things to do that fiddle with bad movies. Well, there are exceptions such as a certain Ed Wood space movie that Bela Lugosi got top billing for even though he was dead when most of the film was made.

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
            Go

Why?

Just to make a point that thugs and threats cannot win the day. It's a little thing, but if we all did little things from time to time, perhaps the world would be a better place.

I am not in any way claiming that this action will make the world a better place, mind you. Just a bit of passing whimsy on my part.

GJC

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err... You are pointing your sexual desires in the wrong direction

I think you should be more interested in insurers.

3. druck Silver badge
      Mushroom

And lets have a re-release of Team America too.

5. kainp121

Stinker

Is the film that bad ? It looks like they are looking for an excuse not release it.

1. Sooty

Re: Stinker

It's possible it's a clever marketing ploy, and now the Barbera Streisand effect will mean that loads of people will get it on DVD just to see what all the fuss was about.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That seems far more likely. I dont see the terrorism threat at all. "Hackers" have never delivered physicle violence, they dont want to leave their bedrooms. Even if its Norks - they havent got the reach to inflict violence on NY cinema goers. If it was that other bunch of psychos.... that'd be a differrent story

2. thomas k.

Couldn't be any worse than Pineapple Express and they didn't hesitate to release that turkey.

(Only thing that made it watchable was Franco.)

1. elip
        WTF?

WTF are you talking about? Pineapple Express and Your Highness are cult classics. Every time Franco and Rogen get together they make comedy gold son!

6. Lord Lien
    Joke

Blame game should start now so....

.... is it safe to get my popcorn out, or just leave it where it is & move long as there is now nothing to see!

7. mr. deadlift

Forks ningered

anyone else read it as that?

i would have thought the notoriety around this one would only boost revenue, go Sony.

8. Adam Higgins
    FAIL

no great loss

"About as funny as a communist food shortage, and just as protracted."--Scott Foundas, Variety.

God, I wish I'd thought of that.

1. g e

Re: no great loss

You will, Oscar, you will

- Monty Python

2. elip

Re: no great loss

"no great loss" <--- ???

Ahh, yes, nothing like professional critics with their solid, historic contributions to ... ummm... art and culture? If you base your decision to watch a film, listen to a record, or go see an art show, on a critical review by paid haters, you're missing out on a whole lot of beauty.

9. jake Silver badge

Wimps.

The crackers (NOT hackers!) are toothless.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Wimps.

Toothless? The pwned Sony in every sense of the word.

10. Amorphous

Kum sa ham ni da

Kum sa ham ni da, Sony - you have been moderated. Kim has got you by the balls.

1. Bumpy Cat

Re: Kum sa ham ni da

Fatty Kim with his Chinese smuggler haircut.

11. Eddy Ito
    Black Helicopters

Tin foil

You know the lead lined tin foil hat brigade would say the hack and subsequent threats were done by the NSA because the movie plot was too close to their current plans for North Korea.

1. Alan W. Rateliff, II
      Black Helicopters

Re: Tin foil

Holy shit, what is this is just a publicity stunt???

12. tkioz

What a pack of gutless wonders.

I wasn't very interested in the film, I thought it was a rather pathetic idea really, but pulling it because North Korea threw a fit and a bunch of servers got hacked? That's even more pathetic.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: What a pack of gutless wonders.

Just shows that Sony can dish it out, but can't take it.

Please see their MPAA intimidation and prosecution tactics posted yesterday on most news sites.

13. The Morgan Doctrine

NORKs ought to fund assassination of POTUS, staring Jackie Chan and Lucy Liu

This could be the best-selling DVD of all time…if Sony were smart.

And if the NORKs were smart, they'd fund their own movie of the assassination of Barak Obama, staring Jackie Chan and Lucy Liu.

But neither organization is smart, which goes to show that…drum roll…two dumbs don't make a bright.

1. Shannon Jacobs
      Holmes

Re: NORKs ought to fund assassination of POTUS, staring Jackie Chan and Lucy Liu

Are you being sarcastic? If so, your presentation is poor. It's a major stretch to interpret your comment as some sort of free speech claim rather than as a racist attack on President Obama.

Are you trying to say the terrorists should have come up with millions of dollars to fund their own assassination movie, or, as seems to be the case, you are saying you would approve of and presumably pay to see a movie about the assassination of Obama?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: NORKs ought to fund assassination of POTUS, staring Jackie Chan and Lucy Liu

There have been movies about plots to assassinate the president before. The only difference is they didn't use the same/likeness of the current president.

Not sure why you claim it is a "racist" attack. Would it be OK if Romney was president and he suggested Sony funding a film about assassinating him? You couldn't call that racist, so what would your objection be then? You seem to be playing the race card a bit quickly here, maybe you should wait until someone actually says something racist first.

2. Ken Y-N
      Mushroom

The NORKs did this, basically, last year:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9939715/N-Korea-video-shows-Washington-under-attack.html

"another [...] depicted US soldiers and President Barack Obama burning in the flames of a nuclear blast."

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This could be the best-selling DVD of all time…if Sony were smart.

Yes but since a lot of these DVDs are made in cheap factories in the far east and printed by a machine what if the North Koreans hacked the machines producing it and the DVD release of the film was made with a rootkit on the disc, so people playing it on a computer got infected!?

1. IglooDude

Sorry, wait - wasn't this sorta what Sony did with audio CDs a while back?

14. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

Terrorists win BIG time--America is now a nation of cowards

What this means is that EVERY future movie project will be considered in terms of the risk of a "release-killing terrorist threat". Anything that is too provocative or risky will never even be made because the studio will be afraid of losing the entire investment.

In addition, you can look forward to the terrorists pushing the line to see exactly which movies they can censor. Well, "look forward" is too soft. Rather you can count on it. The precedent has been clearly established, even if the movie itself was a muddled message.

Freedom = (Meaningful - Coerced) Choice ≠ (Beer | Speech)

You do NOT have the freedom to choose to watch this movie, so this is a place where free speech crosses into the freedom area.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Terrorists win BIG time--America is now a nation of cowards

Is now? You just noticed it today? That was proven in the response to 9/11, where freedoms were taken from us and and the sheep applauded it in every poll I saw. Even now look at all the people who say Snowden is a traitor and don't see anything wrong with the government spying on everything and everyone so long as it saves one person from a terrorist attack.

If only the Soviets had known they could have beaten us not through nukes, tanks and propaganda, but by simply making us so afraid we'd willingly hand over our freedoms. I'll bet the old guard hardliners that are still alive in the Moscow nursing homes are kicking themselves to sleep every night.

1. Charles 9

Thing is, at least the Soviets were reasonably rational and wouldn't have fired the nukes unless actually threatened. That's why Mutual Assured Destruction worked with them.

With the Norks...you're not so sure. Kim Jong Un may well consider World War III preferable to the movie being released. What do you do against a madman with no regard for life and his finger pressed on a Dead Man's Switch?

1. MJI Silver badge

But would their ICBWM make it that far?

Intra Continental Ballistic Washing Machine

15. Winkypop Silver badge
    Mushroom

NATO are involved!

Shit!

[Runs away]

[Preps bunker]

* National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Grow some balls!

If you change your behaviour based on the actions of criminals then the criminals have won anyway.

1. Charles 9

Re: Grow some balls!

And if the criminals are backed by a rogue state and know where you and your family live and have threatened to blow up your house while you sleep? That's the level of the threat being posed right now: it's getting personal.

Also, don't forget that the Norks carry what's considered the ultimate trump card. Even if they don't turn nukes on America, there's always Seoul to worry about. A target that close they don't need to shoot a missile; it can just be smuggled in Sum of All Fears-style.

1. Alister

And if the criminals are backed by a rogue state and know where you and your family live and have threatened to blow up your house while you sleep? That's the level of the threat being posed right now: it's getting personal.

This just shows the irrational level of fear to which America has sunk.

Come ON! There is no likelihood of this threat being acted upon, the resources necessary to carry out the threat make it impossible, even for "a rogue state".

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

I keep seeing references to the Norks sending a Nuke to the US, but I wasn't aware they had that capability. Citation required please.

1. Charles 9

Not thinking so much the US (though if they did, think a high-altitude blast over South Dakota--just ONE EMP's bound to be murder). But what about Seoul? That alone could be enough to seriously destabilize the region, would be pretty easy for them to pull off (Seoul's within artillery range of the DMZ), and recall Kim Jong Un isn't exactly what one would call the rational sort.

2. Charles 9

"Come ON! There is no likelihood of this threat being acted upon, the resources necessary to carry out the threat make it impossible, even for "a rogue state"."

Three guys with fertilizer, diesel, and a rent-a-truck demolished a major building in Oklahoma City 20 years ago, without any state backing. A bunch of guys turned airliners into fuel bombs in 2001. The Target and Home Depot hacks and now Sony Pictures (perhaps even the mother company). Who are we to prove what's possible and what's not in today's society?

1. Tom 38

So you think "rogue state after me" is bad, but you then admit that "rogue state is irrelevant to being attacked". So, what, you just don't go outside?

3. Mark 85

I wouldn't say "impossible" but maybe improbable. Then again, before 9-11 most people would have said a group commandeering 4 airliners and flying them into buildings was impossible. (yeah, I know, only 3 hit their targets.)

1. thomas k.

Everyone except Tom Clancy, of course.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"If you change your behaviour based on the actions of criminals then the criminals have won anyway.If you change your behaviour based on the actions of criminals then the criminals have won anyway."

So the criminals win when you use a firewall or an anti-virus/anti-malware app? Sounds to me like a pretty stupid point of view.

3. JohnMcL

What fool at Sony gave the okay to a comedy about a communist dictator of a country previously described as part of the Axis of Evil?

Will Sony now produce comedy about the prophet Mohammed? That will have the audience rolling in the aisles, not!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time for Sony to release the film to the public domain via P2P and Youtube so that everyone can watch it. Give those terrorists a black eye they won't ever forget. Victory in one move.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The Norks are lucky to have electricity, let alone Internet access. No, if the West wants the Nork proles to see the movie, it'll have to be smuggled in on DVD via South Korea's North resistance groups.

As for canning the movie altogether, did they say outright that this was a permanent cancellation or just an "until further notice" postponement meant to delay the movie until after the hectic holiday period? Or it could be a bait and switch. Lie about delaying the move than release it anyway.

1. Where not exists

Postponed, not cancelled

It's not unusual for Hollywood to postpone a film release. This happened right after Sept 11. (Can't remember what films were held back then.) This one could well see release sometime later.

18. Zack Mollusc

Wow! HUGE Precedent set!

This is incredible news. For years we have ignored the warnings about those unscrupulous vermin and allowed them to grow in influence and power, but now the North Koreans seem to have struck a blow against them. Massive PR victory for Kim Jong Un !

1. Mark 85

Re: Wow! HUGE Precedent set!

For years we have ignored the warnings about those unscrupulous vermin and allowed them to grow in influence and power,

For a moment there, I though you were talking about SONY.

19. tesmith47

in no way do i endorse the Sony hack,.......BUT some of the revelations about pay, gender inequality and the racist hateful attitude that Sony has towards the Black customers of their films are worthy of exposure.

I, for one will NOT be seeing any Sony movies until some heads roll

20. MnM
    WTF?

How many...

...Sony films feature Chuck Norris?

1. VinceH

Re: How many...

It doesn't matter.

All that matters is that the film in question doesn't feature him - if it did the Guardians of Piss would've been too scared to try to stop its release.

21. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Responsible criminals?

What, are they like film critics now?

" when the responsible criminals are apprehended."

I would have though it should be "the criminals responsible", but maybe the first one is more accurate.

22. This post has been deleted by its author

23. Avatar of They
    FAIL

*Sigh*

So to recap.

Terrorism 1, Reality 0.

I predict.

This will end up as a film in itself in about 5 years.

Another raft of "Evidence" for so called anti-terror laws will now be brought forward by our dictatorship loving MP's.

24. King Jack
    WTF?

House of cards

Who knew the title of that show was real? The USA folded, the terrorists win. So much for the land of the free and the home of the brave.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I call fake!!!!

The entire thing has been a fake - there were no hackers!!

It was a put-up job by Sony just so they could have an excuse to can such an apparently sh£te film.

No doubt they'll be able to write it off as a tax loss or even make a claim on some dodgy insurance rather than release the film and have it dive at the box office.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: I call fake!!!!

You did see those leaked emails from the Sony management team didn't you? Why would they do that to themselves?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I apologise - I knew I should have included a sarcasm symbol in there somewhere for our American cousins. But I expected better from you, Sir Runcible...

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

From an AC source, one can never tell. You only have to go and look at some Youtube comments to realise the bar is set depressingly low.

26. Miss Config
    Alert

'Flashmob' screening

If the terrorists are effectively banning a movie using 'advanced technology', then show it using advanced technoogy :

Get a movie theater owner in a given town to organise a 'flashmob' whose point is to go to see an immediate showing of the movie. No chance of the turrists being in, say, Des Moines, Iowa.

And even if a terrorist WAS in a position to attend such a screening, the organisation of a bomb etc.

would have to be very fast indeed and get past heightened cinema security.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 'Flashmob' screening

And if it turns out they have targeting ability that's even faster than a flash mob, able to target the movie before it finishes playing no matter where in the US it is?

Or maybe they just blow a nuke 25 miles over South Dakota and cripple the whole US in one shot, no aiming necessary?

1. Anonymous Blowhard

"maybe they just blow a nuke 25 miles over South Dakota"

I can see why you're AC...

1. Charles 9

Ever heard of EMP? South Dakota is the center of the US geographically.

1. Mark 85

True, but given the reliability and range of the NK's rockets and the unknown if they've managed to get their bombs down to missile size, it just doesn't seem realistic. It might just go off over their country.

27. Nameless Faceless Computer User
    Unhappy

Forbidden Fruit

Oh no. Now I won't be able to watch this silly movie. I hope Sony Pictures is insured so they don't loose any money. All of this talk of terrorism and banning the movie makes me want to see it more than ever.

/sarcasm

28. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

London 1970s....

My family went to a show London at the height of the IRA's mainland bombing campaign when they were targetting theatres and cinemas. The overwhelming attitude in the country was "We will not let the terrorists make us dance to their tune!"

Now some skiddies somewhere shout BOO! and everybody runs and hides under the bed clothes...

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: London 1970s....

That was before H&S and the litigation lawyers took over world though.

1. Bloakey1

"That was before H&S and the litigation lawyers took over world though."

Amen to that, even the SAS, Delta and the like are doing risk analysis now. It is what happens when the H&S virus takes over, sense goes out of the door and anybody above the rank of major is a minor politician.

As for lawyers, grrrrrr, journalists, grrrrrrrrrrr

Nurse, I will come quietly may I have my medication early on this bright sunny afternoon.

2. Bloakey1

I totally agree. I also lived in Beirut for a while in the eighties and we carried on regardless although I was tooled up to the eyeballs.

The US are basically risk averse in the extreme and sadly the UK seems to be going that way as well.

Now that they have given in to terrorists, the terrorists just need to push the envelope and see what else they can get away with.

29. TitterYeNot

Dear GOP...

... where were you when Sony released 'Jack and Jill'?

Yours etc.,

Disgruntled of Tunbridge Wells

30. Jim 59

I am appalled that they have given in to threats. You could almost call it "cowardice in the face of the enemy". Hey Mr Sony, not exactly the Shogun spirit, is it ? They wouldn't have stood for this nonsense in old Japan, y'know.

However I also don't approve of making films about killing living people, even His Corpulence. It is pretty much an invitation to fantacist assassins, bit like that film where Gary Glitter was executed. And releasing it on Xmas day is in poor taste.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"And releasing it on Xmas day is in poor taste."

Ever thought it was intentional to tweak the Norks' noses? Consider: the Kims have hated displays of Christmas and have frequently rallied against a tree display just that gets raised just south of the DMZ (currently not present but due to be replaced). IOW, the Norks are Grinches. Airing a film critical of the Norks on a day they HATE would've been a double-whammy.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"Airing a film critical of the Norks on a day they HATE would've been a double-whammy."

I couldn't care less what the Norks think, but I think quite a few westerners probably feel that a Dec 25th release date was a bit tasteless.

1. Miss Config
          Holmes

Actually in the US, Christmas Day is a time when cinemas are open and new releases shown.

Top of my head I can think of Star Trek IV back in '86.

2. TPX

tasteless

The film is tasteless, because the Canadian citizen who conceived the film and shot it in Vancouver Canada is tasteless. The Director, Evan Goldberg is also a Canadian and his sensibilities are tasteless. Sony, a Japanese company, with its headquarters in Japan, should have known better, because they should know what Asian finds offensive. They approved the project.

31. Anonymous Blowhard

Not exactly killing

"making films about killing living people"

Didn't Leslie Nielson beat up the "Axis of Evil" in the first Naked Gun film? What's different now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Gun:_From_the_Files_of_Police_Squad!#Plot

1. Tom 38

Re: Not exactly killing

Kim Jong Il was a huge hollywood film fan (over 20,000 DVDs) and, despite being a ruthless dictator crushing his own people, apparently had a sense of humour. He probably enjoyed parts of Team America, given it lampooned America almost as much as the Norks.

Kim Jong Un is a fat spoilt kid in comparison.

1. TPX

Re: Not exactly killing

We live on a planet that is continually at war. We need adult diplomacy to make all our lives better. Does anyone think that a low brow film, with revolting insulting situations would not be offensive?

Everyone should know however that Seth Rogen is Canadian actor writer, not American. The Directer Evan Goldberg is Canadian, not American. The film was shot in Vancouver Canada. The money came from Sony which is a Japanese conglomerate based in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Rogen

32. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Coat

Strange to see NATO back down from vague NORK threats

OK, I'll get me coat

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

National Association of Theatre Owners (NATO)

With an acronym like NATO you'd think they'd have bigger balls.

34. unix.beard

Perfect pic

The picture with this story is just too good...

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh well doesn't look like they've kept the genie in its bottle...

http://yify-movies-official.com/interview-2014-720p-brrip-x264-yify/

36. Steve Martins

no such thing as bad publicity

I would have probably paid no interest in this movie and let it slide by pretty much unnoticed, but as a direct result of the actions of these hackers, I'm now intent on watching this movie the first opportunity I get...

I wonder if this was the hackers intention? to launch a film that would have been pretty run of the mill into the spotlight where eventually the viewing figures will go through the roof! If so its one of the most effective cunning ploys i've seen to boosting film viewing figures massively.

37. Stevie

Bah!

Well there were still commercials running for it at 11pm EST on NY broadcast TV.

38. phil dude
    Coat

Sooooooooooo....

rone-ry.....

P.

39. ecofeco Silver badge
    Big Brother

Irony is a Sony

If this isn't the irony play of the year, I don't know what is.

Sony - vandalized people's computer with a root kit several year ago. Also large corporation used to getting their way and freedom to engage in extra-legal activities as well as mucho threats and intimidation in league with the MPAA. (as reported here and elsewhere yesterday)

NK- not known for l33t hackers. Not known to have root kitted anyone (yet). Small country not used to getting their way but still engages in extra-legal activities as well as mucho threats and intimidation.

Sony forced to eat humble pie by a group slightly less dictatorial than they are.

That's some damn fine irony right there.

40. Vociferous

Came to see poster's USA-hate get the better of them....

...to the point they'd defend a blood-soaked dictatorship's censoring of free speech.

Was not disappointed.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Came to see poster's USA-hate get the better of them....

There's more of that irony.

41. TPX

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Rogen

FYI Alert for all those who are not aware:

1. Sony is a Japanese company with its headquarters in Japan. It owns a Studio in Hollywood which used to be MGM. Sony is a Japanese conglomerate that is not an American company.

2. Seth Rogen, who wrote the story is a Canadian Citizen. The director, his childhood friend a Evan Goldberg, is a Canadian Citizen. They shot the film in Vancouver Canada which is their home territory. They employed Canadians, thus putting many members of the Hollywood community out of work.

"Seth Aaron Rogen[1] (/ˈroʊɡən/; born April 15, 1982) is a Canadian actor, comedian and filmmaker. Rogen began his career performing stand-up comedy during his teenage years, winning the Vancouver Amateur Comedy Contest in 1998." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Rogen

3. Sony is a conglomerate that has been manufacturing computers for over 30 years. You would think they would have a more secure system regarding hacks. They were asleep at the wheel.

In conclusion I would say a film made by Canadians for a Japanese corporation in Canada, is a Canadian and a Japanese problem.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Rogen

Good post TPX.

Upvoted.

42. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile, the root cause gets now ignored..

What galls me more than the caving in to terrorists to a degree the real terrorists never managed is the fact that there is NOBODY who talks about the root cause of this problem: the apparently atrocious security at Sony.

If they had even a smidgeon of decent security segregation in place this hack would not have happened, or would have picked up whilst in progress. This appears to be a classic APT in progress, and I would really like to know why not a single intrusion detection system tripped.

My guess is because there were none, in a situation that is all to familiar to people tasked with protecting an organisation: there is never money to do it right, there is always money to do it over.

I would 100% agree that you ought to be angry with the hackers, but that shouldn't stop from realising that they only got their chance because the doors appeared to be standing wide open at Sony - and that, my dear commentards, is far from being news.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meanwhile, the root cause gets now ignored..

"If they had even a smidgeon of decent security segregation in place this hack would not have happened, or would have picked up whilst in progress. This appears to be a classic APT in progress, and I would really like to know why not a single intrusion detection system tripped."

Ever thought this was because the GoP took their time and found ways around each and every detection system as they went? What man can erect, man can subvert. This wasn't an overnight thing; apparently they'd been at this slowly and patiently for months if not years.

Also, consider the cost/benefit analysis. What if the accountants were told that to properly harden Sony's systems against such a threat would cost more than the potential losses they would incur should such an intrusion occur?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Meanwhile, the root cause gets now ignored..

Also, consider the cost/benefit analysis. What if the accountants were told that to properly harden Sony's systems against such a threat would cost more than the potential losses they would incur should such an intrusion occur?

Well, the aggregate consequential cost of this debacle means that it's quite possible that they will have to shut the doors of some divisions, if not all.

I came across a company once which was a lot smarter than others: they made the CFO responsible for security. I wish more boards were that bright..

43. Gannettt

I'm still convinced this is extreme marketing bullshit. Look for a release sometime in the New Year!

44. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

I don't know if this is more extreme corporate risk-aversion or just wanting to not appear to be piling on Sony Pictures during it's current tribulations, but Paramount Pictures has pulled "Team America: World Police" from distribution, after numerous theaters announced that they were going to show that as A) a ten-year anniversary celebration of the initial release and B) a substitute for "The Interview"

http://www.sfgate.com/news/texas/article/Team-America-screenings-also-pulled-from-5966318.php

45. An(other) Droid

What gives?

I think the hackers have Sony by the short and curlies. They really must have hit the mother lode in the data they were able to swipe. Something so horrible/expensive/scandalous that it has brought Sony to its knees. Wonder what it is?

46. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

I wonder how many of the smiling sycophantic generals hanging around their glorious leader secretly want to put a knife in his ribs?

47. kainp121

Distraction

This is nothing more than a distraction. Sony gets to play the victim card in hopes the people will forget that the got caught with their knickers down

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like