back to article Google swears no search leg up for new dot-word sites: We drill into claims

Google has reiterated its claim that there is no inherent advantage to new top-level domains – such as .london or .book – when it comes to topping search rankings. The position, posted on Google+ by the web giant's trends analyst John Mueller, more or less restates what Google SEO head honcho Matt Cutts insisted more than a …

1. frank ly
    Facepalm

Reshare this (again)

If you're looking for a whatsit shop in Berlin, it's not surprising if whatsits.berlin and thingies.berlin appear high in the search rankings.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Reshare this (again)

and toss in that introducing the correct URL in conversations, content, even code is much higher than some mashed together words with .com tacked on.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SEO: Emperor's clothes

SEO companies like to talk up the supposed skill, knowledge and value of what they do, so pontificating about their "research" into gTLDs and the complexity of search algorithms fits right into this. The fact is that the best advice they could offer their clients (but won't, because then the flow of lucrative bucks for their fairy dust services would stop) is to make your website content relevant, original, and matching the metadata you put in the page. Do that and you get ranked highly. Publishing unoriginal crap and pissing about with strategies that attempt to game the search algorithms is an expensive waste of time.

1. Alister
      Thumb Up

Re: SEO: Emperor's clothes

I wish I could upvote this more times.

We provide the website and hosting for a client who are the only provider of a niche service. They have the very top organic result in Google, Bing and other search engines, for any search term which describes the service they provide, and they also have a sponsored link in Google.

And yet, each year, they spend thousands on external SEO consultants, who keep coming up with different strategies and slight tweaks to page content and layout, most of which get reverted by the next SEO consultant.

2. Chris King

Re: SEO: Emperor's clothes

Also, keep the *content* fresh and up-to-date, that makes you more relevant to search engines.

The other advice I give to people wanting to put up a website is "Pick ONE domain AND STICK TO IT". Buying up the same name in different TLD's doesn't protect you against domain squatting, and having the same content on different domains can actually hurt your search ranking.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

Twas ever thus

And if you were to compare bayareahotel.com and california.hotel when searching for "hotels in the bay area" then the first result would come out top I suspect.

4. Michael Shelby
    Pint

That's the best subhead I've read in a long time. Cheers!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Give it time, just give it time.

Google might be correct about Google, currently, but when Google offers "www.mypage.Google" then Google will be delighted to Google for your money.

Given enough time, SEO will be carved down to the level of index ratings of soap commercials. Last I saw soap commercials they had absolutely nothing to do with Alex cheating on Hope with a tranny on life support, who incidentally happened to be Alex's lost brother! But what is really fucked up is that some company out there was thinking "OOOhhh, I want to optimize advertising in that episode!".

SEO is really just anothers game. You basically optimize your entire site for someones else's code, that is NOT standardized. Regardless of what I might think, eventually that "other" entity's code will change, and you will be forced to ride along.

Search engines should have standards just like the HTML they present, but they don't. In fact, they're making money off of making their own standards, and wielding them as leverage over the entire landscape of the web.

Want to find a monopoly, go to www.google.com...there you have it. Oh sorry, it's a duopoly, www.yahoo.com (a.k.a. Bing! ?) It should seem strange no one is doing anything about this, but then again, stranger things have happened in politic$

6. bhartzer

Google doesn't give you SEO benefits for having a Keyword Rich domain.

Google is right, they don't give any extra boost to certain TLDs or to the New gTLDs. But, having a keyword rich TLD is, in fact, helpful. Ranking is a byproduct of the domain name, and having your keywords in your domain name.

If you were to use keyword1.keyword2 as your website, then all of the LINKS pointing to your website will typically refer to you as "keyword1 keyword2". Everyone will know you and refer to you on their site, in articles, in the media, as "keyword1 keyword2". So, it's logical that you will end up ranking in the search engine results for "keyword1 keyword2".

Just the same way that companies always rank for their company name--using a keyword rich domain, especially a New gTLD domain, will, in fact help. But it's NOT because Google is giving any extra boost for having and using that domain name. It's not Google giving you that extra boost, it's the other websites and other people giving you that boost.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like