back to article Dixphone's half-year P&L accounts are in. So much RED INK

Fewer arch enemies and a brighter economy should help Frankencorp - the merged Dixons and Carphone Warehouse organisation - oil the wheels of commerce. It's done that with gusto in the six months since the union was sealed. The business Wednesday reported a five per cent year-on-year sales spike to £5.02bn for the first 31 …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

A PITA to deal with

so now I just buy stuff from basically anywhere but this place. so why am not I surprised that there is a lot of Red Ink on their balance sheet?

Staff more concerned with talking amongst themselves than dealing with customers. etc etc etc

1. Dr Wadd

Re: A PITA to deal with

I went to a local Currys a couple of evenings ago to replace a television which had died. I was left standing around for about 10 minutes with no members of staff asking me if I needed assistance, when I finally asked for some help it finally arrived after another 10 minute wait. When I did finally get to speak to someone they were coming out with such rubbish I gave up and left without buying anything. I'm sure it helps to sell the overpriced HDMI cables by saying the poor image quality on the display sets is down to cheap HDMI, but that line isn't going to work with everyone.

I only went there because I needed a television quickly and Richer Sounds were shut. Instead I decided it was easier to be without a television for a few days.

1. Ol' Grumpy

Re: A PITA to deal with

The flip side of this is when you go in for something specific and you get ambushed as you turn every corner with someone asking if they can help you. I've experienced both :)

2. djstardust

Comet?

The only thing that has saved them is Comet going bust. In my city, there is now no direct competition so you HAVE to shop there!

1. Phil W

Re: Comet?

Is the Internet not allowed in your city?

1. rhydian

Re: Comet?

"Is the Internet not allowed in your city?"

Last time I checked, I couldn't walk in to a big "The Internet" shop and walk out 10mins later with a new kettle. You can't always wait for delivery.

3. rhydian

Nice to see DixPhone is sticking to "premier" customer service...

My parents' microwave blew up the other day, a day before my sister was due to visit them with her baby daughter. So, it was decided that, as I live closest to any kind of electrical shop, I would go shopping for a new microwave. A model was chosen off the currys website and reserved before I left.

Cue me arriving an hour and a half later. I walk up to the desk and announce I have a microwave reserved. I am then led to the microwave display shelf and asked to "point out" which one it is. The problem was the only microwave that looked anything similar to what we'd ordered was marked as a "conventional oven" for £40 more than the website advertised. It took 15 minutes of the salesdroid looking before the we finally worked out the shelf ticket was wrong, and we ended up having to match product numbers. Turns out the "conventional oven" was in fact a microwave and was the right item.

So, salesdroid now grabs said microwave and takes it to the till. The only problem is he bashes the box against a load of end-of-row displays before arriving at the till. Luckily the till applies the right price and of course they try and sell me a £15 warranty...

Next time, when I'm not in a hurry, the web or John Lewis will be getting my business...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like