back to article 30,000 people buy a box of BOVINE EXCREMENT

Would you pay $6 for a box of shit? Fans of the "party game for horrible people", Cards Against Humanity did. On Black Monday, the company offered a special, one-day-only offer of a box which said “bullshit” on it. Nothing more, just Cards Against Humanity Bullshit. Customers ordered them in droves and internet rumours of a …

1. LaeMing
    Go

It is dry cow patty

Not exactly yicky (we used to play frizby with the fully dry stuff on my Gran's farm as kids.) Cow dung doesn't even smell particularly bad.

I imagine the boxed stuff has been sterilised for health+legal reasons, too.

Put it on your roses, city slickers!

2. Grifter

"...and maybe some beach-front property in Switzerland."

The implication being that they made off with a lot of money from gullible people, which is actually not the case, it cost them 5.88 to send out the packages that they sold for 6 dollars, they did it for fun, not profit. The meagre profit they did make was donated to a charity. So... yeah.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Care to source that ?

1. Grifter

Sure, (though I made a typo, I wrote 88, supposed to be 80).

https://twitter.com/CAH/status/544712198720094208

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The implication being that they made off with a lot of money from gullible people"

You've missed the point completely, which is that Switzerland is a land locked country....

1. Grifter

The implication was that it was a scam, like selling beach-front property in switzerland, so how did I miss the point exactly?

(although as posters below pointed out, there are indeed beachfronts there, like you, I too was under the impression there were no beaches.)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Switzerland

What's more, beachfront property in Switzerland tends to be very, very expensive. I wouldn't mind some footage on Lake Geneva.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

That was a bad choice of phrase anyway. There are beaches in Switzerland.

1. AbelSoul

Re: "There are beaches in Switzerland."

Indeed. Lots of them.

Landlocked != Beachless.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You can have a beach on both lakes or rivers and Switzerland has quite a few of those!

2. Neoc

Beg to differ, people. Beaches can occur anywhere there is (a) water; and (b) rocks for the water to break down into pebbles or sand. It's not just a seas/ocean phenomena. Heck, over here in Brissie we have a couple of natural beaches on the *river*.

As for Switzerland:

http://www.traveluniversally.com/touristdetails/beaches-in-switzerland

If you're going to try and be "funny", do a little research first.

2. BongoJoe

Re: "...and maybe some beach-front property in Switzerland."

And the other misconception is that the Swiss don't have a navy.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
          Joke

Rumour has it that the Swiss Army also don't use multi-function knives either.

1. jackharbringer
            Pint

@Sir Runcible Spoon

"Rumour has it that the Swiss Army also don't use multi-function knives either."

Sorry to ruin a perfectly good joke, but the Swiss Army actually does issue Swiss Army Knives as part of the standard kit. One with a bottle opener for the soldiers, a fancier one with a bottle opener and a corkscrew for the officers.

3. Frumious Bandersnatch
        Thumb Up

There are beaches in Switzerland.

This is a big part of the reason I read el Reg. Its commenters are quite nicely aligned to where I live on the pedant-curmudgeon spectrum.

1. Elmer Phud

I got 99 problems but the beach ain't one

4. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Beach front?

Lakes can have beaches y'no

3. hplasm
    Happy

Ronseal -

The Next Generation...

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Ronseal -

Non-UK readers might not get that reference.

1. hplasm
        Coat

Re: Ronseal -

"Non-UK readers might not get that reference."

True, but they can Bing it...

(ack! Sorry...)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Something like this then?

http://www.homesoverseas.co.uk/overseas/details/20856468#58IQT53tmCzu1j0h.97

1. gotes

Don't beaches have sand? That looks more "lakeside" to me.

1. AbelSoul
        Headmaster

Re: "Don't beaches have sand?"

Not necessarily.

But Plage Salavaux does.

1. Glenturret Single Malt

Re: "Don't beaches have sand?"

Brighton beach doesn't and it must be one of the best known and most photographed in the world.

5. I Am Spartacus

And that reminds me

When Private Eye ran a small add, sometime in the 80's, for a box to be sent as a "gift". Inside was a turd (species unreported) and a little card that read "Someone, somewhere, thinks you are a real shit".

You have no idea how many times I have wanted to send that to someone.

1. Charlie_Manson

Re: And that reminds me

You can something similar on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Poo-in-a-Gift-Box/dp/B001GO8L8C/ref=pd_sim_k_h_b_cs_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1XH8N0PJ0JABSNA76JP4

1. Anonymous Custard
        Coat

And I guess it's also the best response to being accused of not giving a shit about something or someone...

2. Bloakey1

You can do it nowadays using this new fangled Interwebs thingy:

http://www.shitexpress.com/

6. Mark 85

Truth in Advertising?

I hope. Bullshit is what they advertised and bullshit is what was sold. Now was this just normal cowshit or true bullshit from bulls?

7. thomas k.

Reminds me ...

... of this scene from The Jerk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTHL0y6xvLE

8. Kingston Black
    Facepalm

"you’ve been handling pooh"

What's Winnie got to do with this then?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: "you’ve been handling pooh"

It's a reverse pedobear instant.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

1. JoshOvki

Re: But Shirley!

It is exactly what was advertised (assuming it is Bull and not Cow), and you can't return it under distance setting regs if it is a perishable or other items that deteriorate rapidly such as food and flowers. I think this probably quite perishable.

1. ravenviz Silver badge
        Boffin

Everything's perishable if you leave it long enough!

2. Banksy
      FAIL

Yeah, I didn't read this properly did I?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

advertising / sponsor coincidence?

Last lines of article as they appeared for me just now:

"If, however you really want to get that genuine feeling of being cheated, Cards Against Humanity will sell you an empty box for twelve quid, and maybe some beach-front property in Switzerland. ®

Sponsored: Planning a cloud investment"

11. Phuq Witt

CAH-rap

"...If, however you really want to get that genuine feeling of being cheated, Cards Against Humanity will sell you an empty box for twelve quid..."

T'would be more entertaining than having to sit through another round of their painfully tedious game, every time I visit certain friends of mine —who seem to think it's incredibly edgy and witty and inevitably produce the damned thing after dinner!

1. James Hughes 1

Re: CAH-rap

Best played after a couple of beers, when it is usually hysterically funny. (Note, not edgy, or witty - just rudely funny)

I guess you must be playing it wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Playing it sober is meh. Playing it while binge drinking - much improvement.

2. Phuq Witt
        Thumb Down

No. I'm not "Holding it Wrong". I just don't find it funny. For the uninatiated, here's the low-down.

CAH is like Blankety Blank designed by Beavis & Butthead [and even less funny than that makes it sound!].

Basically you sit round with a handful of cards upon which are written names of famous people, rude sounding actions, disgusting objects and so forth.

1: The person whose turn it is picks up a 'question' card and reads out something like: "This Christmas in order to raise viewing figures, the BBC are going to show a live special featuring BLANK throwing BLANK on BLANK".

2: The other players shuffle through their cards looking for "hilarious" things to fill the blanks with. Everyone then puts their chosen cards in the middle and the 'questioner' then re-reads the question with the blanks suitably filled in, before judging one of the efforts the winner ie. the one with the most Oscar Wildean rapier-witted comedy potential.

Because the game is almost exclusively played by right-on middle class people, the designers have made sure to include plenty of cards referencing subjects which will give said 'Nathan Barleys' a shiver of politically incorrect delight. So, the 'responses' to the putative question above might be along the lines of:

"This Christmas in order to raise viewing figures, the BBC are going to show a live special featuring THE QUEEN throwing DOG SHIT on A BLACK MAN."

or

"This Christmas in order to raise viewing figures, the BBC are going to show a live special featuring PAEDOPHILES throwing MONKEY SPERM on A CANCER VICTIM."

or

This Christmas in order to raise viewing figures, the BBC are going to show a live special featuring A LEATHER CLAD GAY throwing MOSLEMS on JESUS.

As these ripostes are read out by the original questioner, the other players will alternate between feigned shock and slightly too enthusiastic laughter. All the time smug in the knowledge that the game and not themselves is responsible for the outrageous things being said.

Yeah. you're right. It's genius. I obviously just don't get it!

1. Ian 55

"CAH is like Blankety Blank designed by Beavis & Butthead [and even less funny than that makes it sound!]"

Actually, it's exactly someone else's game, Apples to Apples, only with swear words.

12. Terry 6 Silver badge

Just looked this game up

I hadn't heard of it before.

Thank God I don't know anyone in Islington anymore.

13. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

What is the point of this?

Really, what is it?

14. ravenviz Silver badge
    Headmaster

I just found out that gullible isn't in the dictionary!

15. Swarthy

The joys of apathy and Slack

Friends exhorted me to buy this "special one-day deal" from CAH. I was almost tempted, but I got distracted, forgot to look at the "deal" and the day passed me by. I had actually forgotten about it until I saw this article.

In short: by not giving a shit, I did not get some shit.

16. Andy00ff00

Tesco tried selling it too, but it turned out to be horse****

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CaG is very funny with the right company but is definitely a Rarely game. Certainly not an Always game, and not even a Sometimes game.

18. Daedalus

Grot!

Wonder if the MD of CAH has the last name "Perrin" ?

19. FireWorks
    Thumb Up

Amish sell Poo

I bought a gargoyle that is to be set in your garden that was molded out of poo to slowly melt away and feed the plants, . They also sold other garden dwelling critters of excrement, they were called PooPets if I remember correctly. Gifted it to my father.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Amish sell Poo

Sounds like you have an amicraple relationshit.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or just get the free chromecast game

Job done..

21. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

One of our staff left to join a consultancy...

... I can assure you that gathering a small tin full of bullshit as part of the leaving do festivities was not an easy exercise.

But it was fresh....

22. stringyfloppy

Did they say it was a filled box they were selling, or was it advertised as an empty box? If it was advertised as being empty, and I'd bought one, I'd accuse them of fraud.

23. Graham Marsden

"There are some items which Royal Mail is unable to carry in the UK...

"... for legal or health and safety reasons.

"Failure to comply with these regulations could result in prosecution. You are responsible for checking whether or not an item is prohibited.

"For a full list of UK prohibitions and restrictions please see our prohibitions and restrictions guide for contract and business customers."

Which includes: "Waste, dirt, filth or refuse"

Hmm...

24. chappers
    Joke

No Shit Sherlock

25. LINCARD1000
    Coffee/keyboard

Apropos of CAG - if you bought this and then on-sold it... would that count as "pooping back and forth forever"?

(am I allowed to laugh at my own lame jokes?)

26. Buster

Bulshit..... I thought all the world resources of BS had be used up by Interstellar.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Carrying Shi*

While it may, or may not, be against the Postal Regulations to despatch turds in the post, Couriers have no problem in delivering pelleted poo for my garden. It was cheaper too.

28. Simon Rockman

I'm rather impressed..

That CAH had the resources to fulfil the orders.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon