back to article Cool Large Hadron Collider to fire into doubly powerful ring

CERN boffins have started powering up their improved Large Hadron Collider – and say the particle accelerator will fire with twice the energy of its previous run by March. "With this new energy level, the LHC will open new horizons for physics and for future discoveries," said CERN Director-General Rolf Heuer. "I'm looking …

1. CCCP

I for one...

welcome our closer to light speed than ever particles produced by man overlords. Though you will be older than you think before you disintegrate in a shower of information. Unless you turn black hole on us and sc... Oh I see, sleeping still. Never mind.

2. beast666
    FAIL

"...been cooled to 1.9 Kelvin above absolute zero..."

1. frank ly
      Happy

That's a relative temperature of course. At the new higher energies, nothing is certain.

1. JDX Gold badge

Quantumness means you can have negative Kelvin, so really who knows any more?!

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Welcome to Hollywood! It is cold in here!

3. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

been cooled

So that's -29.155°Hn. Truly frigid, then.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

"I'm looking forward to seeing what nature has in store for us."

Three years later....

"Everything is exactly as it should be. Not a single surprise! Not a single bone thrown at us!!"

DESPONDENCY!

1. Captain DaFt

"Everything is exactly as it should be. Not a single surprise! Not a single bone thrown at us!!"

DESPONDENCY!

Nah, that'll just mean they're on the right track, and have to work harder to learn more, instead of throwing out current theory and starting over.

(Boffins are people too, and some people hate the thought of hard work just keeping the same old-same old going.)

4. Conundrum1885

In theory

If certain theories about parallel universes with a reverse arrow of time are correct, then could a sufficiently powerful collision create a link with a parallel Universe also doing the same experiment at the same time?

This could get interesting if so.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: In theory

Not even close.

2. Annihilator
      Stop

Re: In theory

"a parallel Universe also doing the same experiment at the same time?"

Same time according to...? Time is unique to the observer. Not to mention more powerful collisions happen frequently in nature without any adverse effects.

5. Martin Budden Silver badge

Anti-matter

Who says the Big Bang created unequal amounts of matter and antimatter? I reckon it created equal amounts, with the anti-matter zooming off in one direction* and the matter (including us) zooming off in the opposite direction.

*This neatly explains why One Direction doesn't matter.

6. Faux Science Slayer

95% of the Universe is made up of math particles and hyper-dense equations

There is NO dark matter, NO dark energy and the Universe is NOT expanding....

youtube.com/watch?v=5AUA7XS0TvA

Thunderbolts of the Gods at Electric Universe

1. PassiveSmoking

Re: 95% of the Universe is made up of math particles and hyper-dense equations

At least you're not using the comment section to plug your own ridiculous website for a change.

Also you might want to consult your doctor, they may have some meds that might do you some good.

7. Khaptain Silver badge

Equal Reactions

Somewhere else in the universe a long piece of pipe is heating up to extreme levels in order that black holes can be sucked backwards through the pipe at incredibly slow speeds.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Ye cannae change the laws of Physics"

Oh, wait...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Well...

...lovely chatting to you all, it's been fun

10. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Bit odd ...

Is it me or did I just read an entire article about the LHC without Prof Brian Cox or black holes slurping the Earth being mentioned? (that's black holes doing the slurping not the Prof you understand ...)

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Bit odd ...

That's because now they know it isn't balck holes. It's a dark matter wave and then you become a metahuman.

11. Conundrum1885

Call The Doctor

The plot is that some undetected zeroday flaw in the LHC control system allows interdimensional hackers to take over the collider and synchronize the collisions so that they intersect with their dimension and allow an invasion to take place.

The Doctor turns up at the crucial moment and throws a sonic spanner in the works, causing the interdimensional aliens to get sent hurtling back into their domain with a polite note not to bother humanity again "Or Else!"

Cue lots of LHe ownage and assorted Sheldon-like boffinry running around screaming because the aliens "Know about superstring particle fluxion theory".

Hint: Amy Pond nearly gets frozen but is rescued at the last second, yet again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon