back to article Samsung brings out new longer-lived 1TB Flash podule for PCs, notebooks

Just in time for Christmas, Samsung has taken its 3D enterprise SSD, added a bit per cell, and come out with a longer-lived 1TB SSD for PCs and notebooks. The triple-level cell (TLC), 3D V-NAND, 850 EVO SSD follows on from the planar (2D) TLC 840 EVO which also topped out at 1TB. This drive used 19nm NAND, whereas the 850 EVO …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They are joking about the price - I hope.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Screw you christmas....

GOD DAMMIT I WANT A SSD !!!!

But we have spent too much money on gifts to buy one !!!

anon because this post is truly shameful !!

1. James Haley 2
      Childcatcher

Re: Screw you christmas....

Christmas just did you a favor. Wait a few months and you'll get the same specs for a much cheaper price.

1. Salts

Have to agree with JH2, wait a month or so, last month I bough the Crucial MX100 from PC world(in a hurry) for 85GBP few days later they dropped it to 70GBP now for Christmas it is back up to 85GBP.

1. phil dude
          Linux

I dunno, they were selling the 840 1TB for $350 for TG, and that looked about the right price.

P.

2. druck Silver badge
          Thumb Up

Just bought an 500GB 840 evo for £154 on Amazon, hopefully the price will drop further now the 850 is out, and I'll get another one, and we'll be all flash on all laptops.

3. werdsmith Silver badge

Crucial MX100 256GB

£59.95 Black Friday Week.

2. Hans 1

>Christmas just did you a favor. Wait a few months and you'll get the same specs for a much cheaper price.

In the tech world, that is always true, so you advise to never get anything.

3. wdmot

Something not clear from the article *or* specs from Samsung's website is whether Windows is required to get good performance from this or the previous generation (840). It has a SATA-III interface, but it's not clear what their software (for Windows only) does. It appears to "integrate" the encryption with Windows and allow one to "manage your system for peak SSD performance". Anything else, and is this software required to get good performance out of their SSDs?

1. TheRealRoland

What i see is that the Samsung Magician software allows you to run the ssd in 'rapid mode'; http://techreport.com/review/25282/a-closer-look-at-rapid-dram-caching-on-the-samsung-840-evo-ssd

Looks like it's a form of ram disk, allowing the software to combine smaller write actions into bigger ones. Downside is that it's a ram disk...

The other stuff that the tool does is nothing spectacular: run a TRIM, run a benchmark, and switch between sets of OS Optimizations. These optimizations are nothing specials, just standard OS things like 'enable hibernation (for quick startup time)', Enable / Disable Search Service, etc.

When using this SSD on non-Windows platforms, i would expect it to work just the same as when running on a Windows platform without RAPID mode enabled.

EDIT: can't speak to the encryption stuff - but since there's no sticker on the box saying 'encryption for windows only' - i'm assuming this is functionality supported on other OSes.

EDIT2: but, digging a little bit deeper - three modes: bios password (assuming on the drive); TGC Opal - assuming you need this software / layer installed, then the drive is compatible with that protocol, and 'encrypted drive' has the tooltip 'Encrypted Drive feature provided by BitLocker® Drive Encryption in Windows® 8 and Windows Server® 2012.'

2. Hans 1

>It has a SATA-III interface, but it's not clear what their software (for Windows only) does.

>Anything else, and is this software required to get good performance out of their SSDs?

Marketing BS, mate.

3. oli_from_germany

840 on Mac

I'm running the EVO 840 in my late 2009 iMAC with Adapter Bracket. It runs extremely fast, all random and sequential Task like MP3/Video Encoding, very large Photoshop Files editing and multiple VMs at once. Booting into Yosemite from Poweron takes ~ 10 seconds for a working desktop! So I don't see an advantage for Windows here.

4. Alistair
    Coat

Performance on non-windows systems

Since the question has been raised, I could go out and get one and test it against:

Fedora 20

Slackware

Gentoo

Mint 17

Anyone offering to contribute?

(and hell if I DO get one for christmas - well yes I'll publish the results)

5. Hans 1

All systems equipped with SSD's here, now, no chance in hell I can get that past the misses ... need to wait for one to fail and I bought the first in 2011.

6. Alan Brown Silver badge

2TB

Definitely, if the price is right. I'd even buy 4TB

Put them at the $500 mark and they'll sell like hotcakes - and I'm expecting 4TB to BE at $500 within 4 months, assuming the fabs can keep up.

Shit just got real for Seacrates and Western Dodgydrives.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like