back to article VMware exiting 2014 with a bang and a security whimper

The productive bits of 2014 may be ebbing away fast, but VMware's not slowing down: the company's shoved a few notables out the door in recent days. The most urgent is a fix for a bug in the on-premises version of the mobile device management suite AirWatch. As Virtzilla 'fesses up, “These issues may allow a user that manages …

1. K

VMWare is getting old..

And going through the mid-life crisis, they seem to think a funky name will make them look cool again.

Our Infrastructure is purely vSphere based, and I'm a big fan, but I'm really underwhelmed by their recent offerings. At least Microsoft adds truly value tools and enhancements with each release. With VMWare I've seen nothing in the past 3 years that has made me say "WOW". Lets face it -

Log Insight - A glorified syslog collection tool, which a hefty price tag. There are dozen of other tools that are either free (graylog2, Fluentd etc), or commercial tools that offer full SIEM.

vCenter Operation Management - A bloated piece of junk, that requires 2 seperate VMs, each consumes 8GB RAM minimum. When deployed its proves very unstable and the VMs crash out frequently. I've seen half a dozen occurrences where it freaks out due to some DNS issue and ceases to work, the only way to fix it is have VMWare.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like