back to article Freesat to show Euro 2008 in HD

The BBC and ITV will be showing Euro 2008 footie matches in HD over the Freesat network, the two broadcasters have announced. When Freesat launched last month, it promised ITV's HD channel would be coming exclusively to its set-top boxes "soon". Today, it said the first broadcast will take place on Saturday evening at 7.45pm. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Omer Ozen
    Flame

B*ll*cks...

Now I gotta buy myself a Freesat box. I was holding on for better models to come out first :(.

2. Christian Berger

Wow!

Wow, a second source for TV-sets with buildt in DVB-S recievers? That's the real news I guess.

3. Graham Triggs

Who cares...

The Freesat launch has been bungled big time...

Everybody I know who had signed up to be informed about it received 0 e-mails about it.

And crucially, the HD PVR is missing from the launch (why? Humax make HD PVRs already) - so where I have been waiting for Freesat HD, I'm going to have to wait longer until the PVR is out.

Until then, no HD TV for me

4. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

I'll record it, but only for the novelty

Scheduled it to record. Even though I don't really care about football, HD is still new enough to interest me.

The lack of listings for content on ITV HD is disappointing and makes recording things tricky. You have to be watching ITV1 to even know that something is available in HD. I doubt the commercial PVRs will even allow you to record from ITV HD at first.

5. Craig
    Thumb Down

Aresholes

ITV are a bunch of arseholes for not letting us Sky HD box owners to see the new ITV HD channel. (This is despite everything being in place for it to be viewed on Sky's system, bar some flag on the transport stream.)

Good job England aren't in this Euro otherwise I might have been really annoyed :)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn

England are not in so why bother watching ?

Man United won the double though so that's my season made :)

7. Mark
    Gates Horns

And yet bizzarely

Those of us that have been HD for a long while now, thanks to SkyHD, don't get it...

Yep, not ITVHD on Sky. How odd is that?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Re: Aresholes

Don't you mean that Sky are arseholes for charging too much to appear on their EPG , or for trying repeatedly to bad mouth and kill off Freesat because they don't want the competition? Aren't Sky arseholes for insisting that Channel 4 and Five HD must stick to their Sky exclusivity contracts? Weren't they the ones that priced their channels off the competitors networks after securing good deals to carry everyone elses channels?

I don't see anyone complaining that Sky aren't allowing Sky One HD to appear on Freesat. Admittedly that might be because Sky One doesn't actually show anything worthwhile and their HD picture quality is crap, but you'd agree that Sky set the precedent here?

ITV believe in FreeSat as an alternative to Sky following the digital switchoff and for it to succeed they need to build up a consumer base for the new service. ITV HD is the carrot and you can't blame ITV for playing Sky at their own game.

If you want to watch ITV HD then buy a freesat box or DVB-S tuner for your PC and quit whining.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Football in HD !!!

What a complete waste of bandwidth.

If you want sport (of any sort) in HD why not get off your arse and go and PLAY it ... and as a added advantage you will get real force feedback as well.

Plus whilst playing sport you will not be able to bore everyone else with trite gibberish sport punditry.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

HD Box

Not sure where the info about the Humax being the only HD box came from, just got the Bush one from Argos and 'am Watching BBC HD now.

(The Bush is the cheap one, £119 with a free HDMI cable if you do a reserve on the web site).

11. Shaun

RE: Football in HD !!!

"If you want sport (of any sort) in HD why not get off your arse and go and PLAY it"

Because I'm English, and as such, have absolutely ZERO chance of playing in Euro 2008 (even without taking ability into account)

12. Scott Mckenzie

HD PVR...

Due in about 6 months...

I do agree that HD FOotball is a complete waste of bandwidth, though the F1 would be nice!

I saw a Grundig HD Receiver, also for £119, in Currys the other day... so there are other options now.

As for no ITV HD on Sky, i utterly applaud that, the rumoured figure that Sky wanted ITV to pay in order to appear on the EPG was madness, so fantastic that they're going elsewhere... i hope the others (Channel 4, BBC etc) turn round and tell Sky to f**k off too, just as soon as they can....

Just a shame that i can't get a dual LNB on the dish where i live so the PVR is a waste, i'll have to stick with SD for recorded stuff :(

13. Gerald Davison
    Thumb Up

Freesat vs Sky

Got my Freesat setup working (Humax FOXSAT-HD) last week.

I've staunchly refused to get Sky - I'm not paying up to £50 a month for TV, I'm not interesting in football and if I want to see a film I'll go to the Cinema.

News International/Sky must be "bricking" it over this new service.

I've been spreading the word at work and I know several people who are thinking of binning Sky now that there is an alternative that will offer 200+ channels by the end of this year and several HD channels. The alternative free service from Sky will never compete unless they include the HD content.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like