back to article O2 to offer £100 iPhone... in time for Xmas?

UK carrier O2 will punt Apple's anticipated 3G iPhone for just £100 - provided buyers agree to an 18-month tie-in, it has been claimed. Meanwhile, one Register Hardware reader claims O2 staffers told him not to expect the handset until Christmas. The O2 tariff details come from a Macworld UK report citing unnamed sources. In …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sam

title required

Keep it.

2. Wonderkid
    Jobs Halo

I can second that rumor...

...I was told the same thing - December 2008 for (O2) iPhone in UK. My guess is this is less likely to do with Apple and more to do with fact new iPhone is probably so hot that O2 and any other iPhone providers are under pressure from management and other phone vendors to a) Shift current stock before taking on new iPhone b) Take advantage of higher profit margins on non iPhone phones, after all they are in the biz of making money - not necessarily selling the world's snazziest and most compelling gadget. If that was not the case, Tescos and Primark would be out of business, and they are doing very well thank you very much. Personally? Am going to be livid if the new iPhone is not out on Vodafone here in the UK in June. I cannot believe Apple are only sticking with one provider! The market is ready NOW! iWant!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I want it NOW! ;)

Nah, but seriously, i'd be dissapointed if it didn't come out this month in a 3G variety. Hanging out to buy one but been holding off to get the new iPhone, don't want the EDGE/older version. Given all the hype re 3G iPhone it'd be a real let down if they said 'Hey yep we're doing it, but come back in 1/2yr!'

4. Si
    Alert

Can't be right?

Firstly, as I feared, renewing contracts? That's the only information I needed to hear to confirm to myself that I won't be upgrading from my current gen iPhone. There's absolutely no reason I should have to renew my contract; I've already committed myself to 02 until May next year.

Free upgrade to those on the top whack contract? So, wait, if I want to upgrade I'll be charged somewhere in the region of £1-£100 (I'm on the £35 PM tariff) to do so. Wasn't there also rumours that the new iPhone would be sold unlocked?

So, if said rumours are in anyway true, it would make sense for me to simply by a new handset for £100 and stick my current £35 PM sim card into it?

5. Andrew Livingston

RE:

One would suspect that if the phone is subsidised properly now like every other handset you'll have to sign a legally binding contract to eighteen months of service in store before you take it away, so you won't be able to to "buy the handset for £100 and stick your £35 a month sim in it."

Frankly if O2 allow me to upgrade in the middle of my existing 18 month iPhone contract and only want £70 - 80 for the new handset and restarting my contract I will be pretty happy with that. Very few phone contracts would give you any subsidy at all until the full existing 18 months was up and would make you sign for another 18 months there too.

Now all we have to hope for is that the thing isn't as bloody ugly as the leaked pictures suggest (and that it's got a camera flash, please god…)

6. Darren Coleman
    Jobs Horns

Just unlock?

Buy handset for £100, unlock, use any SIM you like. Simple!

7. James Wilson
    Stop

Different from Macworld

The report on macworld says different to this article. Is the register not capable of even taking someone else's article and re-wording it ?

Macworld says that O2 will offer the new iphone, and that NEW customers signing up to the highest package (£75 a month) will get a free Iphone.

CURRENT iphone customers will get a free upgrade if they renew their contract.

NEW customers not signing up to the highest package will pay £100. and O2 may offer it on PAYG for £269.

8. John
    Happy

And avoid signing the contract how?

"Buy handset for £100, unlock, use any SIM you like. Simple!"

Are you not missing the bit about promising to pay at least £35 a month for 18 months?

If it is going to be £100 plus contract then it'll be the next big thing that's always out of stock.

9. Sean Aaron

My contract is up next August

I just bought a new 8GB Nano, so if Apple changes their dealer lock-in strategy maybe my next phone WILL be an iPhone. I just hope the option to turn off 3G is there to save battery life and get better signal indoors. My Nokia slider is fine and all, but compared to the older model 2G one from work it's garbage at actually getting signal or lasting more than 3 days without a recharge.

10. Paul Bradley

I disagree

It has not been possible to get a first gen iPhone in the UK (O2 stores or Apple stores) for over a month. Why have shops empty unless a new version is just round the corner ??

11. Si

Damn and blast!

I've also just read the original Macworld article :

"Existing iPhone customers will be offered the chance to upgrade their mobile to the new model without charge - though they will be obliged to sign-up to another 18-month contract."

Bleurgh.

12. Chad H.
    Thumb Down

What happened

What happened to the Internet Rumour that said O2 will be doing the next iPhone completely free, or the rumour that said it was going to be T-mobile and Vodafone that launched the iphone in the uk.

Less rumours, more news please.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Chad H

> Less rumours, more news please.

You mean "FEWER rumours, more news please"... or maybe you are American - i.e. a non-English speaker?

14. Concerned Citizen

Old one unavailable via apple stores as well

As it says above, US and UK sites say its not available.

15. Ed
    Jobs Halo

Hang on a minute...

I'd just like to agree with Paul's post above. If the new iPhone won't hit the UK until Christmas then why on earth are 1st gen iPhones as elusive as rocking horse shit 6 months before the replacement launches?

On a different note, my iPod Touch has just died a death which strikes me as great timing - I'll get a replacement from the shops tomorrow, sell the brand new replacement on eBay, and have the cash ready for the iPhone release. Never been so happy to have tech die on me!

16. Ascylto
    Coat

Psssst!

Who knows?

I heard, from an Apple employee (who admits he doesn't actually KNOW for sure), that Apple may intro the iPhone2 upgrade as a free software/firmware upload to existing iPhone owners (and a small fee for iPod Touch folk).

The dearth of iPhones available at o2 and Carphone Whorehouse suggests an imminent launch of hardware, however.

Mine's the one with 2 iPhone pockets.

17. Adam T

Skeptical

I'd be fairly suprised if we had to wait until December. Wouldn't that mess with the iPhone 2.0 (appstore) strategy, and fragmentation?

If apps start becoming available that require newer hardware, i.e. gps or face-mounted camera, it will dumb down the appeal of the appstore and SDK as a unified solution.

Wouldn't be the first time Apple did something stupid of course.

18. Dan Wilkinson
    IT Angle

@Anonymous Coward @ CHAD

This is a fanboy infested website forum, not Radio 4.

19. Tim

O2 staffer claims christmas?

I doubt that "staffer" has been told anything concrete. The Iphone projects are NDA'd within O2, apple and CPW and even those who need to know dont always get told. Frontline sales staff will not know and may even use the excuse to get someone to sign for a new phone now, rather than wait a mythical 6 months.

The lesson here? Dont believe a salesman, they tell you what you want to hear, but only if it suits their commission structure.

I personally think it will be out sooner and will be cheaper and better than the original. Let us not forget that Apple often shoot themselves in the foot by suddenly dropping prices or increasing specs, and having to compensate recent purchasers. At least the current lack of hardware will reduce that problem.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Psssst

Does this Apple employee clean the toilets, because they obviously KNOW sweet FA.

Changing hardward over the air, now that's a solution I would love to see.

LMAO.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not Christmas, not 3G prepay

£269 is for a first-gen prepay with v2 software.

The 3G iPhone will be out next week in the UK.

All existing iPhone customers will be able to get a free v2 upgrade and/or a discounted 3G device.

22. Ascylto
    Coat

@Anonymous Coward (re: Pssst)

Hello? Anyone in? Try reading the post, dimwit. It says the Apple employee admits he didn't know and the post mentions nothing about hardware (I presume you meant 'hardware' because I don't know what 'hardward' is. Or are you going to claim you're dyslexic?)

Yours is the one with the tie-together sleeves.

23. Bill
    Stop

@Psssst!: firmware upgade to 3G? Nah, don't think so...

Takes more than a firmware upgrade to get 3G capapbility, it takes a whole new chip so that's a nonstarter. Entirely possible, if they're talking about upgrades to the touch that this refers to some new jazzy functionality.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't believe what I read

I want to turn 3G off because the battery doesn't last more than 3 days without charge.

3 DAYS without having to go near a plug socket and that's not good enough? Try doing that with your laptop, or ipod or even the iphone without 3G. (meaning with use, not leaving it idling and saying 'look it lasts longer') FTR my N82 lasts 3 days without being switched off at night and is in constant use for calls, music games and web and takes less than an hour to charge. Battery life is such an issue (sigh)

'my iPod Touch has just died a death which strikes me as great timing'

Weird, how old is that? less than a year and it's dead. And you will happily fork over yet more cash for an Apple product? Numpty

£100 + 18months @ £35 = £730 and people are happy? credit crunch anyone? Higher mortgage rates not important to you? Don't fancy eating much or going out? No wonder Jobs can happily shaft you all with ridiculously high prices because you keep going back for more asking him to do it again!

25. Richard Abbott
    Thumb Down

The Iphone.

I tried to get an iphone, I spent all weekend in London at O2 shops and apple store to find out there are none to sell and no-one not even apple staff kno when they will be in stock.

What the hell is going on?

26. Lime Smoothie
    Paris Hilton

Enough hype, already

Richard A - they discounted iPhones weeks ago to shift all the unsold stock and presumably try and create some 'buzz' for the new one.

Steve Jobs is on his feet now for his keynote speech, all he appears to have announced so far is a lot of apps that are already available in the big wide world - wow, look, a colour coded calendar.........Google Apps, anybody?

Paris, because even she wouldn't swallow this.

27. Lime Smoothie
    Thumb Down

3G - its official

$199 for 3G iPhone. So at least £100 here, if not more once the 'UK Mug tax' has been added.

Woo hoo.

Same old, same old from Apple. If you want one, you can get one on July 11th.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like