back to article Dark matter-hunting boffins spot EXCITING signal in X-ray spectrum

Boffins believe they may finally have detected the first sign of dark matter, after picking up an unusual photon emission signal in X-rays coming from space. Scientists from the EPFL lab of particle physics and cosmology (LPPC) and Leiden University are expected to publish their findings next week in Physical Review Letters. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old, debunked.

This was in Slashdot yesterday, debunked there today.

Do try and keep up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Re: Old, debunked.

But...but, the video is so cool...

2. Ole Juul

That'll be the IT angle then.

3. ashdav

@Bahboh

Links please (or it did not happen)

1. petur

@ashdav

https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/ask-ethan-66-did-we-just-find-dark-matter-1b2f992ac353

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

Dark matter doesn't interact with photons and now it's emitting them? Colour me sceptical.

1. marioaieie

The idea is that dark matter annihilates producing standard particles that then decays into photons. We expect to be an X-ray signal from dark matter (in some models), the problem is that we don't know the frequency (free parameter) or the intensity (depend on some models).

3. P. Lee
    Joke

Look for dark matter

Or fix your maths.

4. arctic_haze

Speaking of EXCITING signals

An exciting neutrino has just passed through me. Where should I report it?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Speaking of EXCITING signals

Department of Homeland Security. They will put it on a no-flight list.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Coat

Re: Speaking of EXCITING signals

"They will put it on a no-flight list."

That won't stop it!

5. Faux Science Slayer

95% of the Universe is composed of math particles and hyper dense equations

Dark matter and dark energy exist to satisfy hypothetical equations supporting an expanding Universe hypothesis that even the 'father of big bang' said was a HOAX.

See "Mysterious Dr X Says, Universe is NOT Expanding" under Cosmology at FauxScienceSlayer.

Then visit the Electric Universe site and watch the Stephen Crothers videos....interesting.

1. james 68

Re: 95% of the Universe is composed of math particles and hyper dense equations

I have some nice rolls of tinfoil I can sell you cheap.

Perhaps you aren't interested now, but I could write a puff piece and stick it on a tacky website explaining the the wonders of shiny headgear since that seems to be enough to convince you to buy it.

Seriously... Mysterious Dr X?

let me guess, he lives in a mansion and trains mutants to save the world from the evils of science.

6. Rustident Spaceniak
    Meh

Dark matter particles are a bit like singing talents -

All those people keep scouting for them, and every time they think they've come up with one, after a while it's just another dud.

Maybe we should just organize a particle contest?

7. Maybe?

Gravity exists between matter and its strength between any two bits or groups of matter varies with the distance between them. When that variance is within a certain frequency range, such as particles orbiting a nucleus, it will be detected by our eys or instruments sensitive to that range, and we will "see" the matter. When matter does not move in such a regular frequency we will not detect its presence the same way but do detect it from its gravitational impact on things we do see...dark matter? Same stuff, different motion.

It may be the speed of gravity we detect and light, vision, warmth, growth, cell change, etc. is what happens depending on what it impacts. Heresy, I know...but...gravity moves things, sometimes in repetitious patterns and sometimes not.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon