back to article Are you a Geek Dad/Uncle/Mum/Aunt? Ten Techy Gifts for kids this Xmas

It's that time again. Get ready to dig deep into your pockets, and spend your hard earned cash on gifts for the kids, the nieces and nephews, the neighbour's sprog and just about everyone else who's flung their arms round your knees and cooed "Unkle" appealingly. If you're torn between bankruptcy and a whole string of people …

1. AsherGoldbergstein

I think I'll have to grab one of those JW Walls posters for myself!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Custom wall papers have been around for a long time, as well a extra large format prints.

Surprised people have only just discovered them!

1. Nigel Whitfield.

Well, indeed, not a completely new thing, admittedly.

You wouldn't believe the number of press releases sent out this time of year that start "If your publication is running any gift guides..." full of the most bizarre stuff imaginable. So a certain number of trips to the pub and lateral thinking were involved in this one, trying to come up with things that would appeal, without taking the easy offerings from the PRs

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FUZE T2

"Inspired by the BBC Micro"

At £230, I would say it definitely is.

1. Moonshine

Re: FUZE T2

Interesting(ish) factoid: The original price of the BBC in 1982 was £399. The effect of inflation means that in today's money that's about £1300. That will get you (for example) a Toshiba Satellite P50-B with an i7, 4K display, 8GB RAM, etc. However the Tosh won't generate the same excitement in the average household as the Beeb did in 1982.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Olloclip?

I'm not sure what it does, but I can guess why she's smiling

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Olloclip?

Paid by the hour?

2. BongoJoe

Buy one now before Cameron makes it illegal...

3. P. Lee

She has an amazing hairdresser?

Or is that the most accurate, adrenalin-pumping bungie jump ever?

4. ukgnome

I find myself

shopping for solids of constant width and its 0730 on a Sunday.

I'm sure this has meaning.

5. Tom 7

The great thing about being a geek dad/mother/uncle/aunt

Is two minutes on the internet and almost all of the above can be got for free or at prices that look pretty much free compared to the above. The solids of constant width are coming off the home made 3d now..

6. dogged

Not helpful

He won't be two until March. None of this stuff is suitable :(

1. Nigel Whitfield.

Re: Not helpful

Sorry about that. Still, if he's not even two, I'd say wing it and just give him the wrapping paper. Cheaper and plenty of fun at that age.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

I'd say wing it and just give him the wrapping paper.

Better wrap a couple of large cardboard boxes - only need small presents that rattle when box is shaken. Kept my children quiet most of the day, particularly as one box was black inside and had glow in the dark star and planet stickers inside. Unfortunately (in this respect) they do grow and so enjoy whilst you can...

2. annodomini2

Best present for a child under 5 is a large cardboard box, how many birthdays and xmas' do you remember getting a large present and spending the rest of the day playing with the box it came in?

1. dogged

I didn't get much in the way of presents so approximately none.

(And no, having a birthday close to Christmas doesn't mean you get more stuff. You just get more writing on the label).

7. MiniVan

Olloclip

Looks like a "downward dog selfie". The yoga mats the giveaway. Any attempts to come up into lion prose could be problematic.

8. JaitcH
    Meh

Belkin? Poor Quality - off-standard comms

Seems to me that Belkin has never managed to meet, or beat, the quality of competitors.

For example, they had a Notebook Security Lock - all it is good for is making the security hole in the laptop large enough until it falls out. Pure junk.

If you are going into home-based systems it's essential not to locked in to a non-standard communications protocol. Look at X-10, supported by numerous Third Party vendors.

Nest is solid because it has Google behind it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon