back to article 'Why do Register readers get so frothy-mouthed?' Thus started WW3

Short, sweet and funny. What, we like these things. Just smile and be happy already. Opening this week's commentary, AidanH came up with a short funny one which made the Great Tardmangling Machine chuckle to itself, alarming its overseers considerably: HMRC called their system MOSS... well played. I assume their next project …

1. NotWorkAdmin

The comments section is mostly why I'm here

There are some proper nobs posting inaccurate, misleading and worst of all technically incorrect stuff. There are also, however, a goodly number of knowledgeable, open minded folk. On several occasions what appeared to be an off the cuff comment on the part of the writer pointed me towards problems I hadn't even realised were problems and just how to go about fixing them.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Windows

Re: The comments section is mostly why I'm here

And now back to work! Do you think this economy is gonna fix itself?

1. Omgwtfbbqtime

The economy is fixed. Oh, sorry you meant repair......

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There are some proper nobs posting inaccurate, misleading and worst of all technically incorrect stuff. There are also, however, a goodly number of knowledgeable, open minded folk.

What about knowledgeable nobs with closed minds? I'd say there's plenty of them around these parts.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Let me tell you: the day I post a pertinent, useful and technically correct comment, is the day I leave my strategic middle management role.

2. asdf

lol glad he didn't mention anything SUN related as well

>why someone would get so froth-mouthed so quickly about an off-the-cuff musing and so I took a look at your post history.

Had to look. Yep of course it was Matty B. he was talking about.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Thumb Up

Re: Had to look.

I had a feeling it would be, and I was right too.

Frothy-mouthed? LOL!

2. asdf

Re: lol glad he didn't mention anything SUN related as well

Gee let me guess who downvoted both of us lol.

1. Mark 85
        Facepalm

Don't cha' know that we, the sheeple, always get downvoted?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
          Happy

Baaaahhh. Baaaaaahhhhh. Baaaaah.

3. nsld

They do say that opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. Except for Matt who has clearly been blessed with a veritable plethora of said sphincters from which he spouts forth.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Happy

Re: nsld Re: lol glad he didn't mention anything SUN related as well

"They do say that opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one...." Glad to see your grasp of anatomy extends further than that of your computing knowledge, nsld.

".....Except for Matt who has clearly been blessed with a veritable plethora of said sphincters from which he spouts forth." The amusing bit is you and your chums seem to think it takes a massive amount of time and mental recourse, "......a plethora of said sphincters....", to debunk and mock what you seem to think are your Herculean-level of mental gymnastics, whereas the reality is it takes only minutes at most. Maybe if you tried reading more?

1. nsld

Re: nsld lol glad he didn't mention anything SUN related as well

" Glad to see your grasp of anatomy extends further than that of your computing knowledge, nsld."

I still have some way to go to achieve your dizzying lows Matt. I am trying though, got an Apple device recently in my quest to dumb down to your level.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
            FAIL

Re: nsld Re: nsld lol glad he didn't mention anything SUN related as well

"....got an Apple device recently in my quest to dumb down to your level." Which just goes to show you are wasting time and energy due to false preconceptions rather than facts. The only Apple device I make use of is an iPad2 my wife got as a present (from her employer). My own choice of devices are Windows and Linux (including Android) and Blackberry - not Apple.

3. ElReg!comments!Pierre
        Headmaster

Except for Matt who has clearly been blessed with a veritable plethora of said sphincters from which he spouts forth

Forgive me if I get a bit technical, but we are all "blessed with a veritable plethora of sphincters" (for example your anus has 2). Some of which we use in the process of oral expression.

I will give you that there is none used in the process of typing comments on El Reg (well, appart from Matt, obviously).

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Out of the mouth of babes and newbies ........

Camberwick Green's observation is the Parliamentary Programming Project Modus Operandi/Vivendi, described in an impertinent pertinent nut case shell arrangement, Gareth C.

And is George Osborne using criminalising substances, for he is a former weak looking shadow of his earlier toffy self, is he not.

Do they do random drugs testing on government, or are they excused and think themselves immune from such public scrutiny and inquiry. Certainly his pontifications and prognostications are wholly suggestive of the abuse and misuse of strong medicines. And there is that video clip of George off his head in the House to support the theory and shared thought .... http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/what-on-earth-was-going-on-with-george-osborne-at-pmqs--xkniRraSOe

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Out of the mouth of babes and newbies ........

I hope they are - it would be really frightening to think we were ruled by a bunch who acted like that normally

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear Dalek Dave...

Wear your 'twig' with pride.

5. Florida1920
    Coat

If you have to ask

I've always assumed being frothy-mouthed was part of the job description. Suffering fools just isn't in my DNA. And after all, the bird in The Reg logo isn't a canary, it's a bloody buzzard.

The one with mouthwash in the pocket.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Florida1920 Re: If you have to ask

".....Suffering fools just isn't in my DNA....." Unfortunately we seem to be dealing with a whole new generation brought up on such claptrap as 'you can all be winners', 'all opinions are equally valid', etc. For them, the introduction of reality is often a brutal affair, and they tend to respond not with intelligent thought or an attempt to improve their knowledge or processes, having instead been inculcated with the idea it is 'right' to instead whine and stamp their feet.

1. Florida1920

Re: Florida1920 If you have to ask

'you can all be winners', 'all opinions are equally valid'

These are different subjects. You can be a winner if you adjust your expectations to your abilities. In the States, unfortunately, winning equates to wealth and power, which is BS. But that subject has been done to death already.

'Equality of opinions' is the losing side's battle cry. We're in a death spiral, though. The emphasis in education here seems to be standardized rote learning, at the expense of critical thinking. Because as soon as criticism enters the picture, you have value judgment that pit opinions against one another.

Now I'll offer an opinion: Rote learning is useful for homogenizing the culture and making compliant citizens. In the end though, the opinions of people in power carry more weight, because they were popularly elected (as if we have a wide spectrum of choices) or they hold certain positions that imply superior knowledge (employed by FNC). The first authorities are parents and teachers. If parents are derelict and teachers are forced to teach to a template, it's not hard to see how we got here and where we're going. </froth>

1. P. Lee

Re: 'all opinions are equally valid'

I disagree with this being a loser's argument. It is actually a condescending and disparaging comment put forward by those who don't hold with any of ideas expressed. The idea is to denigrate someone's argument from being evidence-based to evidence-free opinion, and to suggest that diametrically opposed ideas are the same, but since they are obviously incompatible, they are the same rubbish.

The classic use is regarding religion and means the content of differing religions does not need to be addressed. Since the world as a whole is becoming more religious (just not in the West), I think that's a pretty dangerous stance to take. You may not agree with a religion, but you'll never convert anyone to your way of thinking without understanding the implications of their religion and how they think.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

> For them, the introduction of reality is often a brutal affair

Yup. This country went from landing on the Moon to THIS BAG IS NOT A TOY in 40 short years.

1. Mark 85

Or "Do NOT use hair dryer in the shower"?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Or things in the mirror might be bigger and behind you.

Or peanuts might contain nuts.

Or open lid this way.

Building a generation of non thinking compliant drones, happy to work with zero contract and minimum wage, eating out of food banks to survive, whilst the rich and corrupt feast at the trough of the taxes we pay, whilst the corporate world avoids paying it's contribution.

6. Ken Hagan Gold badge
    Headmaster

Two points...

What you call the Wooden Twig of Fail looked to me like a pretty nicely judged troll. Also, I *think* you will find that newbie-tard is hyphenated, not apostrophised.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Two points...

Your little gold badge is going to your head, senor.

2. Florida1920
      Facepalm

Re: Two points...

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/user/59947/

I think Dalek Dave sincerely doubts astronauts ever landed on the moon. He may believe Dr. Who is real person, however.

7. Ken 16 Silver badge
    Holmes

have you thought about getting out more?

We've all THOUGHT about it...

1. John G Imrie

Re: have you thought about getting out more?

Out side, where the air con is crap, the ceiling is prone to leaking and the main light goes off at night when it would be really useful.

No thanks :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon