back to article Turnbull: Box-huggers are holding back cloud

Dimension Data has announced it will soon offer a government-only cloud hosted in Australia's capital city, Canberra. The new facility will be another node of the firm's currently-14-strong network of Managed Cloud Platforms (MCPs), but won't be open to the general public. Instead, it's been tweaked to handle Australian …

1. splatman

A bit bloomin' rich coming from Turnbull, who is doing his best to hobble the broadband system we need for the cloud to make any sense.

2. P. Lee
    Facepalm

>“box-huggers” who he felt protect their own services against the inappropriateness of cloud.

FTFY

And let's think about this for a moment... a single customer cloud. Some people call that a "data centre."

3. Dramoth

I like the way that this luddite government that is doing its best to regress Australia back to the 1950s is bagging anyone who doesnt jump on this cloud thingy.

And P. Lee, you are correct... a single customer cloud is a data centre.

4. Tac Eht Xilef
    Boffin

Understanding Turnbull

The first thing that you've got to understand about Turnbull is that he's a c*nt.

The second thing that you've got to understand about Turnbull is that he's a self-interested c*nt.

The third thing that you've got to understand about Turnbull is that he's a very patient self-interested c*nt - he's got a long-term plan, and he knows that people have short memories, so all he's got to do is be the most acceptable man at the right time and he's in. Last time was too soon - but next time...

In short, he's the Liberal Party's smarter, more self-centred version of Kevin Rudd...

5. Colin Tree

trust

I trust my linux boxen.

I choose to not have external access to my home machine for security reasons.

But I have from time to time setup external access as storage and remote login.

Clouds leak, go broke, change their rules, cost ...

A single user cloud is still a cloud, in that it is distributed, not one centre.

But anyway it is still the server centric computer model of the 60's.

Corporations just can't let go and allow properly distributed peer to peer.

They would loose control of everything and give up control to the masses.

I don't trust corporations.

6. Andrew Meredith

Box Hugger

"Box Hugger" ??!

Well he's certainly good with the pejorative spins eh?

So a Box Hugger is someone that wants to be able to keep their crown jewels under lock and key on their own kit in their own premises. You spin that whichever way you like buddy, but the sum total as far as I'm concerned is that these "Box Huggers" are very sensible people.

1. JamesTQuirk

Re: Box Hugger

Azurb Clod Drives, where your can be inspected/monitored/fool with, 24Hours a day, Via a Broadband network thats gearing up to 12/1MBs to be norm, and capping @ 20 GB ...

Whats the Bandwidth of 4K ? Please correct me if wrong, but roughly, 15 Mbps, Means maybe 6-9gb stream for a movie, so 2 a month, under 20GB limit & lots of buffering ...

What's it going to be when people start to use Skype in 4k with it ...

What are is going to happen when realise it is going to replace "free2air" TV in long term...

Both Lib's & Labor have bearly got past chipping flint, how can they be in charge of this, they don't have a clue ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like