back to article Security holes in iOS? We've heard of them, says Apple (as it fixes vanishing ringtones)

Apple has released an update for iOS that addresses some rather annoying performance bugs, but leaves major security holes open. The company said the iOS 8.1.2 over-the-air update will address performance issues with the Apple mobile platform, including a flaw which had caused ringtones to disappear from handhelds. "This …

1. danny_0x98

Uhh. Ringtone income?

Anyone can make their own ringtones at no charge. I did, using Garageband and iTunes.

2. cyke1

Its Apple, they never have been quick to fix security issues on anything.

1. Stretch

didn't you know? iOS and MacOS have NO SECURITY ISSUES EVER. Anyone who says so is a liar and obviously not a proper worshiper. And there are no viruses, worms, trojans, deliberate back doors, or ANYTHING. Nu-uh.

2. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Have you analyzed all updates to prove that assertion?

3. tin 2

be nice if they could also make my 4S stop running like a dead pig

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Apple could easily make your 4s stop running like a dead pig. But then you would have less reason to fork over $1,000 or so for your new 6 Plus.

It's a profit deal. Get it?

1. Handy Plough

Funny thing is, Andy, that's absolutely a play our of you beloved's handbook... Stop projecting so much.

2. tin 2

Au contrarie, I am specifically NOT handing over $1000 for my new 6 plus UNTIL they stop making my 4S run like a dead pig. Like I ended up not handing over $1000 (or whatever) for the 5S that I was definitely defintely nail on 100% going to buy. Fool me once and all that.

Seems that my view is not shared much though. And androids are still bloody awful (they ARE, fandroids. Even speaking as someone who desperately wants to get a new phone and won't give Apple the pleasure) must be a factor in a good %age of those record sales.

Muddling on with the dead pig for now.

2. Alan Denman

Well Dead Pig is an Apple trademark.

Make sure you see the dead pig icon when you do the next IOS update.

4. Terafirma-NZ

So they fix the vanishing ones but what about the stupid email notification playing multiple times for every email.

5. scottyman

How about un-fscking bluetooth audio support. I can make calls using my phone keypad in the car (which defeats the purpose) but can't make calls using Siri... the advice is to contact my car vendor about a software update.

1. Captain Queeg

Surely?

Any decent factory car kit these days includes voice dial? Unlike Siri that'll be optimised for the car mic, etc. too.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jailbreak

Has anyone jailbroken their iOS8 device? Are there any limitations?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Jailbreak

"Are there any limitations?"

Well, it won't make you a better and happier person, but it might get you a job at Starbucks.

7. werdsmith Silver badge

Jailbreaking isn't that much of a security flaw considering that in order to do it you have to drink a glass of water standing on your head, whilst simultaneously fingering your own arse and singing the Marseillaise.

1. sabroni Silver badge

Not every youtube "how to unlock your phone" video is genuine....

8. jzlondon

I *HATE* ringtones

Phone manufacturers should be forced - on pain of executive sterilisation - to lock all mobile phones down to a choice of one or two simple, unobtrusive ring-ring noises.

Happy bloody Christmas.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I *HATE* ringtones

Absolutely not. My son has installed one of these high freq ringtones, and it's brilliant. His phone can ring a million times and the only thing I hear is the vibrate. Or he's having me on, I wouldn't put it past him (he takes *way* too much after me in that respect :) ).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like