back to article Canonical rejiggers Ubuntu for laptots

Canonical, the corporate sugar-daddy of Ubuntu, is unveiling a new version of the operating system designed specifically for the now en vogue market of ultra low-cost laptops. Although Ubuntu Netbook Remix isn't yet widely available to system builders, Canonical is showing a demonstration of the trimmed-down OS at the Computex …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven Raith
    Paris Hilton

Hmm....

I like small laptops [laptots - nice]

I like Ubuntu.

I think I have finally found an excuse to throw a couple of hundred quid that I would normally put on booze, takeaway and poor attempts to sway the opposite sex to my thinking onto something more constructive. Or at least, useful.

Nice one Shuttleworth, I will blame you personally for causing me to not get laid for the next couple of months after getting one of those new Acers....

Arf.

Steven "Hit with the laydees, I don't think" R

[Paris...just because]

2. G R Goslin
    Thumb Down

laptot!!!!

Oh, no. Not laptot. Please. please, please.

I'm sure that Psion wouldn't mind it being called netbook, so long as the 'b' wasn't capitalised. After all, the only difference between my eeePc and my Psion netBook, is half an inch from front to back and six ounces in weight, Oh, and eight hours in battery life.

3. Mark C

Fix this .... before we're all rounded up

I can't help thinking I'm in real trouble for reading an article with the word "laptot" in ....

4. E

2 things

'Laptot': good word, on the money, good work.

Ubuntu going after the laptot OS space: I respect free speech as much as free beer. That is why I feel free to say qua a Ubuntu surge: fuck ubuntu, if I want friendly I will either work harder to educate my users or I will hire a whore; the most dumbed down Gnome UI in existence - I do not need that, nor do my users, it keeps them stupid.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least someone is listening.

Well done Ubuntu and Shuttleworth on providing software engineered for the needs of consumers and the devices consumers want. Pity another big IT player doesn't follow the Ubuntu lead but still insists it always knows best.

6. David Heffernan

laptot

What's a laptot? A laptop for small children? A very young laptop?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dammit!

I had Crotchtop in the final stages of consumer testing and a variant on GroinPC fast tracking its way through R&D, and yet again I was beaten to market by the marketing wonks at AnonymousCoward.

Doomed forever to be the HD-DVD of Internet memes,

Anony, Mous & Coward

PS.. Do like the way the Ultra Marketable PCs are bitchslapping Microsoft with their own hubris. XP will be around deep into the 2020s at this rate. Viva function over form, and the lessons learned therein!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Oi @E, no!

GNOME is simple, Ubuntu makes it even simpler, if just one more person drops the MS slave-chain and becomes emancipated, then it will be worth it! It's supposed to be simple on the top dumb-ass, so everyone can simply get on it and get going, Christ-on-a-bike, if we all thought like that we'd still be back at Yggdrasil 0.99 level, trying to work out what IRQ our CDROM should be running on! If you don't like GNOME, then get Kubuntu. If you don't like either of the main choices, stop whining and write yer own damn UI! Want the "Moon-on-a-stick" some people!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Laptot, Laptotty

So those laptoppy audiences in in conferences who ignore the speaker entirely and read their mail, will move to laptots and become laptotty audiences? Cool.

P.H. well why do you think?

10. Simon
    Paris Hilton

Laptot

So a nice looking laptot would result in me buying a laptotty?

Cruising the high street looking for laptotty, yeah my wife'll believe that....not!

Paris: 'cos the Asus girl is till not there! :-(

11. Anton Channing
    Paris Hilton

@Steve Raith

Not get laid? But girls LOVE my Eee. And if they love that, just think what they'd make of the One. Trust me, go out to a bar with your cute little laptot, and girls will flock around you to get a look... :D

...its happened to me several times already!

12. A. Lewis
    Thumb Up

Laptot - brilliant!

A new term has been coined that for once is not completely obnoxious, well done! My EEE will henceforth be referred to as such.

With regards to the article, I have been using eeexubuntu, an eee-optimised variation for some months now. I can see an official version working well!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wikipedia needs updating

The Laptots entry should gain a mention of the new use for the word and a link to elReg....

14. Henry Cobb
    Thumb Down

laptot defined

Brat on Santa's lap who whines for more as her recently unemployed parents listen in.

15. Sam

so that's

"BallBook" out of the window, then..and the obvious alternative, LEAVE IT!!

16. Jolyon Ralph

Ref laptotty

Asus EEE girl must be the original laptotty then. Go on, elReg, put the picture in the article again, we know you want to.

17. Steven Raith
    Stop

@E

"Ubuntu going after the laptot OS space: I respect free speech as much as free beer. That is why I feel free to say qua a Ubuntu surge: fuck ubuntu, if I want friendly I will either work harder to educate my users or I will hire a whore; the most dumbed down Gnome UI in existence - I do not need that, nor do my users, it keeps them stupid."

Tell you what, I'll use this LapTot Edition of Ubuntu and have a nice, stable, easy to use OS that avoids the MS/Mac closed source and works nicely.

You use slackware, or better, HP/UX.

90% of consumers don't want to be pissing about with editing scripts and .conf files, and if we're honest, 90% of techies would rather avoid it too, we do that enough at work.

I can set up the DHCP config manually through the config file in Ubuntu, but I'd rather just let it do it automagically when I'm trying to get my email.

Congratulations on not only missing the point, but missing the whiteboard it's scrawled on, the room the whiteboard is in, the building containing the office and the country the office is located in.

You idiot.

Do you read the Daily Mail by any chance?

Steven R

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Laptots : A dire warning

Mark my words. If laptot is widely adopted you will hear your marketing people discussing their lappytots before Christmas. No-one wants that.

19. Sooty

hopefully this will be faster

I really like ubuntu/kubuntu, the only problems i've had are getting it to run comfortably on a 233mhz thinkpad. Hopefully this release will address that

20. Jason Clery
    Paris Hilton

free?

"Our goal is to deliver a superb user experience while making it simple and cost-effective for device manufacturers to be able to bring their devices to the consumer market place," stated Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth.

in other words he is going to sell it to device manufacturers. Nice of all the ubantus to give free time fixing his OS, the one that he will be selling.

Paris, because she isn't free either

21. KenBW2
    Joke

Laptot[ty]

In reference to our eeepc's friend?

22. Sam

Asus EEE girl must be the original laptotty then.

Proof that geeks should get out more..the only reason her chests aren't even lower is because the ground stopped 'em, and the last time I saw a flank with that much blubber on it had a harpoon in it!

23. Rik Ryder
    Thumb Down

"Laptot" Yeah, Nice try - but it won't catch on

Shame the word "Tot" is only recognised in a few English spoken countries. Where as you can say the words "Net" & "Book" in any developed country in the world and they'll know what you're talking about.

Anybody else see the communication issue one might encouter when trying to purchase a Laptot in a Korean electronics store??

24. E

@AC

"If you don't like either of the main choices..."

Those would be Slackware and Redhat, correct?

Oops. Pardon me, the choices must have 'buntu' in them.

The funniest thing I've read in quite a while was a certain Reg writer using the phrase "you have ubuntu on the sole of your shoe" (slight paraphrase).

If people want an OS so easy to use that it must look and feel like a Mac, then those people should go get a Mac, IMO. Ubuntu does no particular service to Linux because it simply lifts from the Mac, which is I admit a Gnome thing, but Ubuntu takes it too far. Much the same way KDE4 as much as I've sen of it tries to look like Vista.

Does it not occur to you that if Ubuntu has to look and feel like a Mac, then the Mac is more friendly?

Linux desktops have not introduced a new UI idea in a decade. Linux/UNIX at the command line is very powerful. Ubuntu does nothing but codify & entrench an old UI and it does it's best to hide the real power of the OS. This - not to mention the Ubuntistas constantly twittering "why not use ubuntu?" - offends me.

I don't much care for writing GUIs. I much prefer writing UNIX filters and command line stuff - they're more flexible and more useful.

25. Robert Hill
    Linux

@E

"I don't much care for writing GUIs. I much prefer writing UNIX filters and command line stuff - they're more flexible and more useful."

Who writes code on their PC? Probably about 5% or less of all computer buyers, and an even lower percentage of laptop buyers. Great - if you are in that VERY small minority, then you have special niche needs and you should choose the appropriate tools for your work.

But a failure to see just what a small minority of users you represent does you no favours when generalizing your comments on OSes...

And regarding the Macintosh comments - well, OF COURSE Ubuntu and KDE follow the footsteps of Mac and Vista. Designing and user testing a new user interface for the general public is a very costly task, and community developed software does not really have the revenue model to back that investment. They might as well copy from people that HAVE done the research and testing - and at least Ubuntu copied from the best of the two.

26. E

@Robert Hill

Buddy told to stop complaining or else write my own UI. This was a response to that. It's pretty easy to understand.

As for code: a pint of draft says that more than 50% of Linux users know how to program and spend some time each month writing some kind of code. Everyone I know who programs and owns a laptop has written code on their laptop. What, do you think it is harder to write code on a laptop?

27. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

SLACKWARE

Thats it really, i think that everyone should learn basic coding and how a computer works at school, using something like slackware and GCC, We would be much better off as a country everytinhg could be open source. So no dumbing down computing is not the answer, it's similair to dumbing down the electorate after a while all you get is psuedo-democracies and vista :P.

Bad Darwin

28. Jason Clery
    Flame

@e

"As for code: a pint of draft says that more than 50% of Linux users know how to program and spend some time each month writing some kind of code."

And that is why its no good for garden variety users

29. Robert Hill
    Linux

@E

"As for code: a pint of draft says that more than 50% of Linux users know how to program and spend some time each month writing some kind of code. Everyone I know who programs and owns a laptop has written code on their laptop. What, do you think it is harder to write code on a laptop?"

In terms of overall CURRENT Linux users, I would have to agree that over 50% do some form of coding. But the challenge has always been to expand that base "to the rest of us", as it were - including all those Windows and Mac users that just use a computer for email and wordprocessing and spreadsheets. Why? Because it creates a larger market for the work done by the Linux community, both paid and unpaid, and because removing power from Redmond is a good goal unto itself. And in that sense, Shuttleworth is a leading figure, and Ubuntu is currently the best wedge.

And while I do prefer to write code (and have been since I started writing Fortran, 6502 and Z-80 assembler programs in 1980) on a very large screen, I am aware that many coders do use laptops. But even more management types use laptops than desktops, and therefore I think that the percentage of code development on lappies is probaby lower than desktops.

30. Fibbles

@E

I wouldn't mind using an open source OS even if it was simply for the money it would save me and for the extra security. The problem is I'm an illustrator by profession, why should I have to learn to code simply to use my own computer? My job doesn't require me to do so and I really have no interest in doing it in my spare time. Anyone who is making Linux easier to use for the average person deserves a big pat on the back. I say well done Canonical.

31. Julian
    Flame

@E @E @E .........

I am appalled at your posts. Linux is trying to get more established in the desktop/laptop market and extend its acceptability in many other areas. Your rants do not exactly help. I'm sure you really must put people off from using Linux. Indeed you seem to arguing against the very freedom and choice that is at the heart of Linux and GNU philosophy

I drive, I do not open the bonnet and tinker in order to take the car out. I do know how the engine, gear box, differential etc. work. I do not really know how the electronics work, but this does not stop me from owning and driving a car. Indeed, most people probably have no idea how a car 'works' but they are still able to own and drive a car. Of course, we need the skills to create, build and maintain the cars.

So it is with computers and software. There are all the users and then there are all the creators builders and maintainers, the 'experts' which is where you appear to place yourself.

I'm in computer maintenance and the most of the clients I meet would be ruled out of computer use altogether by your criteria. Is that what you are suggesting?

Horses for courses. Console if you wish, manual configuration every time you install software or connect to the internet, if that's what you want. For the rest of us, the majority, a computer that 'works' (out of the box, so to speak) and does what we want and need, whether it be Windows, Mac, or some flavour of Linux that meets our requirements. There are distributions to suit all kinds of uses and users, after all, that's one of the many benefits of Linux.

Don't belittle the majority who don't meet your criteria, and don't shame the many people who make a fantastic contribution to the development of Linux other GNU software without reward other than the satisfaction of doing it and doing it well.

32. E

@Julian

Julian,

I do think that if you work in computer maintenance then you should know how to at least write moderately complex shell scripts. PERL or PHP would be better still.

If you are a user then, yes, I think you should spend at least two hours a week with a manual, learning how your computer works and how to do more than just point and click.

I do not see where my comments belittle people. My comments criticise Ubuntu, and try to mock people who exhibit a slavish uncritical addiction to it's UI, and point out that Linux GUI has been static or merely copying commercial GUIs for very long.

Seems I hit a nerve. Good, I'm glad of that. I am not involved in system admin work to better the Ubuntu community. If Linux fits the requirement I use it, if Windows does I use that. One more person saved from the clutches of for-pay software is not a moral victory of any significant dimension and ought not be a deciding factor in choosing a distro or an OS.

Being open source, mod price, should not be a significant determinant in picking an OS: Novell Netware prior to the attempt to glue it onto a Linux kernel was a far superior server OS to Linux or UNIX; only an idiot installs even Ubuntu Linux on a machine for gaming; Windows is indeed, so sorry, easier to use though generally less powerful.

Would you accept an argument that you should drive a model of car that with a crippled accelerator because that car somehow will help draw people away from using other 'bad' cars? Yet this is just the evangelical attitude I get from Ubuntistas, and it is BS in either case.

God help us if we should expose the small soft pink jelly-like users to the terrifying black and white command prompt?

No, if we have any respect for the users' intelligence we should be pushing the command prompt right beside the GUIs.

33. Trix
    Alert

O dear

"If you are a user then, yes, I think you should spend at least two hours a week with a manual, learning how your computer works and how to do more than just point and click"

So, E, how many people spend a couple of hours a week with a *car* manual, learning how to their engine works, so then they can do their own servicing, brake replacements, suspension enhancements and so on? Most people know a lot less about their cars than they do their computers.

Usability. It's a quaint term, but you get further if it's there.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like