back to article Chinese responsible for 85 per cent of website scams

Chinese internet users are behind 85 per cent of fake websites, according to a semi-annual report [PDF] from the Anti-Phishing Working Group (APWG). Of the 22,679 malicious domain registrations that the group reviewed, over 19,000 were registered to servers based in China. This is in addition to nearly 60,000 websites that …

1. Ole Juul
    Coat

double whammy

As for the phishers' targets: Apple headed the list

Taking advantage of both the greedy and the vulnerable. That's gotta hurt.

2. Tromos

Desirable targets

The scammers most desirable targets would obviously be those with more money than sense. So why pick on Apple users?

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Meh

Some of us are fortunate

Many of these scammers attempt English when it is clearly not their first language.

The self-evident social, spelling and grammatical errors often stand out like beacons.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: Some of us are fortunate

Why isn't bad spelling, and poor grammar, a spam filter you can use...

No, wait. I think I've figured out why

1. Psyx
        Happy

"Why isn't bad spelling - and poor grammar - a spam filter you can use?"

You were saying?

1. Captain Scarlet

I have seen countless people with such emails click the links, a quarter of people think something looks wrong but click it anyway.

4. JCitizen
    Coat

Unfortunately there are still be...

enough of the old Apple users who were spoon fed the adage that Apple is invulnerable and nothing can possibly happen to you if you use an Apple device. Oh well!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like