back to article Boffins: We have found a way to unlock the MYSTERIES OF SHEEP from old parchments

Top-level boffins say they have discovered a valuable new tool for mapping the genetic history of sheep: namely, the extraction of DNA from old documents, which are generally written on parchment made from the skin of sheep or other animals. It seems that before such modern innovations as mass production of paper, typewriters …

1. Mystic Megabyte
    Coat

Welly boots

As these parchments have been handled by umpteen humans how do the boffins avoid contamination of the DNA?

Or maybe the sheep were already contaminated :(

I'll get my coat, it's the sheepskin one.

1. Fuzz

Re: Welly boots

DNA from different species is different. That's how it's possible to tell that your beef lasagne contains horse.

1. perlcat
        Coat

Lends a whole new layer to the term "trigger foods".

IGMC

2. RainForestGuppy

If they're legal documents they'll have been handled by lawyers and hence wouldn't be contaminated with Human DNA.

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Joke

Well obviously

If the document is a legal one, it is very likely the DNA makes more captivating reading

The effect is even more pronounced in the case of accountancy

3. Grikath

Large samples....

You'd need a really large and comprehensive sample to piece pedigrees together..

Parchment was both locally produced, but also heavily traded across well.. the world. Many pieces of parchment were also recycled (scraped) , bound, rebound, cut up, etc. The stuff ended up all over the place, so you'd need to do quite a bit of sampling to get a comprehensive picture, and prevent tagging, say, italian sheep as a british breed.

Still, impressive work.

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Kudos to Proc. Roy. Soc. for not hiding behind a paywall.

1. David Pollard
      Pint

Kudos

Seconded.

5. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    Devil

Could be a problem...

If they need to extract from the middle of the document, leaving a great hole - as in the example :D

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bah.

Excuse me (clears throat) Baa-a-a-a-aaa.

7. Kubla Cant

Zzzz...

A great idea.

But am I the only one to feel that reading the family histories of sheep would have a similar effect to counting the sheep? Even the short paragraph about Swaledales and Scottish Blackface is venturing into the "more than you ever wanted to know about sheep" zone.

8. adam 40 Silver badge

Holy Cow

This analysis will obviously be biassed towards breeds that produce good parchment.

Where you have breeds that are good eatin' but the parchment is crap, they won't be well-represented. Similarly where you have extensive use of barbed wire, you get (more) holes in the sheep, and therefore in the parchment, and it's useless.

(This is why they keep the cows for Bentley leather in fields without barbed wire...)

Otherwise a great idea - but they can't have my deeds.

9. herman

Anthropodermic bibliopegy

Anthropodermic bibliopegy was the practice of binding the trial notes of a murder with the skin off the back of the murderer. So once they are bored with sheep, there is another weird source for research.

1. Chris G

Re: Anthropodermic bibliopegy

Thank you!

I must save that to throw casually into a conversation sometime.

10. druck Silver badge

The Test of Time

After all, parchment was the writing material of choice for thousands of years, going back to the Dead Sea Scrolls.

And it lasts thousands of years, not like modern paper which yellows in months, and degrades in a matter of years.

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Happy

Re: The Test of Time

Yeah, well, they were writin' more important stuff on it back then, weren't they?

You really think anyone is going to want to read your boss's emails in a thousand years?

(well, maybe they would, if only for the comic value)

11. Robert Ramsay

Full marks

for the excellent phrase "peeling a handy sheep"

1. PNGuinn
      Thumb Up

Re: Full marks

In a vacuum, if you please!

12. Stevie

Bah!

"Legal documents".

Would those be ancient Law Degree Certificates?

13. Francis Boyle Silver badge

And for an encore

analyse the ink to determine the true history of squid.

1. Kubla Cant

Re: And for an encore

+1 for the joke, but I think historic ink was more likely made from iron and oak galls than squid.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: And for an encore

Also I'm not convinced you'll get any DNA from squid ink, what with it being a secretion which does not generally contain nucleated cells.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon