back to article Hacker demos Symbian security switch off

A Spanish hacker has found a way to bypass Symbian's security model, theoretically allowing an unsigned application full access to a S60 phone even on third edition handsets. F-Secure has identified the application which, once installed on an S60 phone, can selectively switch off security measures which are designed to block …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stephen
    Pirate

if only...

"The iPhone stopped people doing what they wanted, so the security crumbled; Symbian generally lets people do what they want, and that's most likely what is keeping it secure."

if only all industries could figure that one out... consumers would be happier and let go of their cash easier.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Confession is good for the soul

Every time I see 'Symbian', I immediately think 'Sybian'.

Is something wrong with me?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The latest patched firmware is hacked as well!!!!!

The latest patched firmware is hacked as well!!!!!

http://www.symbian-freak.com/quides/hack/s60_3rd_ed_hacking_new_solution.htm

Teo

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

This is routine.. nothing new here.

This is very old news, certainly in IT timescales. There is no "theoretically" about it...

Both my Nokia phones are now "hacked", and the newest one is only 3 days old. It takes just a few minutes and is so easy that anyone who can follow simple instructions can do it.

This allows me to do what "I" want with "my" purchased product, and not be limited by what Nokia/Symbian think I should be able to do with it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

For the uninitiated

That should be All ABOUT Symbian, and "F-Secure are a bunch of scaremongering scavengers", and "Andrew Orlowski? I'm not scared of him!".

6. Andraž Levstik

Just another failed Digital Restrictions Managment system

Crap DRM it should be gone... It's already hacke on my own n95 since I actually LIKE to own the device I BOUGHT not have some XYZ company have the keys to it.

Now if only I could get linux running on it...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hacks NEW Firmware.

It's a privilege escalation hack. And it works on new firmware.

Freebie seeking users can run the hack, put whatever types of files into secured folders, then reboot the phone. The phone goes back to normal, and the files have full privileges cause they're in the right place and the phone isn't 'broken' anymore.

Check the front page of the Symbian-Freak website. "How to hack for new firmware with anti-hacking measures".

8. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Google Images

Warning to people who are at work.

Don't put "Sybian" in Google Images.

9. Kevin Whitefoot
    Flame

You surely jest!

"The Symbian signing system has stood up remarkably well, though that's got more to do with its intended function than particularly brilliant security. The iPhone stopped people doing what they wanted, so the security crumbled; Symbian generally lets people do what they want, and that's most likely what is keeping it secure."

I have an N73 and stopping me doing what I want is exactly what Symbian does. The only reason a lot of ordinary users haven't complained is that they only install mainstream software from companies that can afford certificates. If they try to install something from a personally trusted but non-commercial source they will get the impression that the programmer is incompetent because the only way to get it onto the mobile is to upload the app to Symbian for signing for each device That's not allowing people to do what they want that's suppressing competition from the less well off. And also preventing the ordinary end user from doing a little recreational hacking (in the RMS sense). I would insert some curse words but I'm afraid my vocabulary isn't sufficient in this field.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Easy step-by-step

Here's another easy guide with links:

http://www.finestfones.com/2008/05/new-hack-available-e90-6120c-and-n95-3.html

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like