back to article Devs: Barack Obama's gunning for your job!

Barack Obama has written what is believed to be the first computer code ever penned by a US President. Obama wrote what programming education body Code.org says was “a few lines of JavaScript”, but just what he coded has not been revealed. President @BarackObama is learning an #HourOfCode! (He's writing a few lines of …

1. Herby

Typical...

He writes JavaScript. Maybe he will continue with Basic (on a CP/M machine probably).

Of course, it has no bugs either, just ask him!

1. FreemonSandlewould

Re: Typical...

This guy does NOTHING for himself. Not to mention he's a member of the 85 IQ club so he's probably not able to code. His only skill is as a gum runner.

2. Mark 85

An hour's training and he writes a few lines of JavaScript. That should be good for a job with one the offshore companies I'd think.

3. T. F. M. Reader
    Coat

New terms in computer science?

Obamacode? Obamascript? A language called Obaml?

Coat, please...

4. Alpha Tony

'The Audacity of Hadoop'...?

I'll get me coat.

5. jake Silver badge

Let me guess: "Hello, World!"

Faithfully copied from an aide provided brief, which was faithfully copied from an email written by somebody, somewhere, who once took a programming course and still had the textbook(s).

So-called "#HourOfCode!" is just as sensible as "#HourOfPlumbing" or "#HourOfMudding" or "#HourOfFraming" or "#HourOfWiring" or "#HourOfCooking" or "#HourOfFarming" or "#HourOfFishing" or "#HourOfBaking".

Or, the ultimate stupid option: "#HourOfEngineering".

1. pepper

Re: Let me guess: "Hello, World!"

Copying code from others or a book is how most people start... How did you start coding then? Did it all magically drop down from the skies by the gods of bits'n'bytes?!

1. jake Silver badge

"How did you start coding then?"

Wire-wrap and relays. No magic, just nuts & bolts. There are no magic bullets.

1. pepper

Alright, but that is a archaic technology not really being used on a day to day basis anymore, atleast not in direct interaction for most people, and it's more in the domain of the Electrical Engineer then a programmer/coder that would possible design a interface or a website. It's a wide field nowadays, nothing like it was in its beginning, and yes I understand the value of going back to basics but its not a good introduction at all.

You dont teach people to fly by throwing them off hills in the old gliders or the wright flyer, we have passed that stage no matter how interesting it might be.

1. jake Silver badge

"I understand the value of going back to basics but its not a good introduction at all."

Oh, my. The child thinks it can run before learning to crawl.

In my mind, this is EXACTLY the problem with modern computing.

1. pepper

I take it you first had to design and build your own engine before being allowd to drive a car? How about first learning to cast the steel?

1. jake Silver badge

I rebuilt my first motorcycle engine/trans when I was 9 (a Bultaco dirtbike, with the help of my gear-head Uncle). I cast my first main bearing in place (Atlas-Imperial marine engine, same Uncle supervising) when I was 11. I still own that motor and the late-1920s 45 foot cocktail cruiser that we put it into. My Daughter owns the Bultaco, and is restoring it for my 3 year old granddaughter's 7th birthday present.

I haven't actually designed a motor from the ground up, but I did build a series of cross-flow heads for Datsun L-series engines using my CNC Bridgeport.

Knowing how the nuts & bolts work isn't a bad thing.

Fondling an iFad or Fandroid doth not a computer scientist make.

2. disgruntled yank

In a litigious society like ours, I would not want to teach #HourOfWiring. However, in #HourOfPlumbing one could probably teach the beginner how to change the washer or cartridge in a faucet, and maybe how to do basic toilet repairs. As such it might be more useful than the others.

Do I expect #HourOfCode to make a great difference in the world? No. Is writing a bit of Javascript sillier than various other stunts presidents are expected to take on, say pardoning a turkey in November or throwing it out the first baseball in the spring? Not really.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

His CV better than mine?

Only if he dresses it up as most people do. Otherwise "beginner level Javascript" and "cozying up with blackhats (NSA)" don't bode too well in an interview for sysadmin/devops roles :P

7. John Styles

button.colour(red).push

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nope

Like most ex presidents he will make an insane amount of money travelling around and giving speeches on what a "wonderful" job he did. While anyone with two brain cells dies of laughter in the back.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

10 PRINT "FUCK YOU, WORLD"

20 GOTO 10

10. Unep Eurobats
    Go

So he leaves office...

... joins a Silicon Valley startup and works his way up the coding ladder.

Now that's a Douglas Coupland novel I would like to read.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. FreemonSandlewould

Doubt he did anything. He has never worked a real job in his life. All handed to him because he is the magic one.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ummm...

I hope he doesn't list the Obamacare web site on his resume...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like