back to article Step by flashy step: Toshiba clambers up to next gen SSD

Toshiba has introduced SSDs using second-generation 19nm NAND tech to double the maximum capacity of one, and have a higher endurance rating on the other. The HK3R2 is the second generation of the HK3R product technology, using the same basic 19nm MLC NAND but with a newer production process enabling a capacity increase to …

1. PleebSmash

get up

Samsung's aggressive V-NAND strategy looks like a winner to me. Greater capacity, greater endurance, larger process, and they have already increased the number of layers and bits per cell. Samsung could shrink the process and trade endurance for capacity. V-NAND will stave off Crossbar/memristors and chip away at HDDs if it can do all of the above, increase the layers past 32, and lower the $/GB.

2. fnj

Interesting experiment

It's an interesting experiment. Toshiba is advertising VASTLY greater endurance than anybody else in the class. The question is, is it real, or is it just optimism - less conservative spec parameters.

1. Slap

Re: Interesting experiment

I think a lot of SSD manufacturers are sandbagging, and using their endurance ratings as a warranty blocker. As I said in the OCZ thread the SSD Endurance Test (just google it) has shown that consumer drives, TLC included, have surpassed their rated endurance by a hell of a long way.

My feeling is that basically the manufacturers don't want you putting consumer SSDs into your data centre - they want you to pay a premium for the "pro" variants, and your punishment for using consumer SSDs in a data centre is that the drives don't have a warranty should you exceed the rated endurance.

That said I'm all for this interesting tech which increases the capacity and longevity of SSDs, even though I think that we need move away from flash into other tech still in the labs which would appear to promise even more.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like