back to article G'Day Australia! Office 365 and Dynamics CRM bounce Down Under

Lots of Australian businesses have already jumped aboard Microsoft's cloudwagon, often after having been told that the latency associated with data centres on foreign soil was no impediment to anything at all. What, then, to make of Microsoft's announcement that Office 365 and Dynamics CRM will be on offer from its Australian …

1. John__Doh

Source?

This is great news for anyone who works in Government as it takes away one of the biggest perceived barriers to cloud adoption.

Any chance of a link to the source for the article?

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Cloudwagon

As much as I loath "cloud" anything, I do love that new word.

3. P. Lee

I always look at it the other way around

If cloud means you can do things from anywhere, why isn't there a local one? Surely you cloud-wranglers can manage the thing from anywhere, right?

After the US court said that all MS-controlled servers come under their jurisdiction, I can't see how a local cloud could still be acceptable for government (or any other) work. Even if you don't do business in the US, you could get sued and documents recovered for "discovery."

I never really understand why ISP's don't get involved with cloud stuff. They're good with networks, stability-engineering, have data-centres, are close to customers (low latency) and often national (no foreign interference).

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Snow Wombat
    Pint

Yay.. more cloud !

It's not like I enjoyed being employed anyway.

Cloud and outsourcing has completely destroyed the support person job base here.

I am having to go to the dark side of management to make ends meet, but even then it's a dodgy prospect.

Beer, because there isn't much else to do while you wait for recruiters to get back to you, so you may as well drink.

6. dan1980

What, then, to make of Microsoft's announcement that Office 365 and Dynamics CRM will be on offer from its Australian bit barns “by the end of March, 2015”? And how to consider Redmond's assertion that the news represents Microsoft “taking that innovation to the next level so customers and partners can do more and achieve more with our technology, which is what counts at the end of the day”?

What to make of it? How to consider it?

Marketing.

Just like Apple crowing about features that everyone else has had for several generations. Oh my god - earbuds that are shaped to merely hurt your ears rather then be unwearable. Copy/paste! Multi-tasking! Etc... Not that I am against Apple - they have their priorities and time has problem them to be correct.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like