back to article The Grandmaster: Epic, heart-melting, oh and there's lots of kung fu

The Grandmaster is a tale so loosely based on the actual life of famed kung fu master Ip Man that it belongs more properly in the stable of martial arts fables such as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and House of Flying Daggers. Ip Man (Tony Leung) gets ready for a rain-soaked fight. Though no one flies through the air ( …

1. Dave Bell

I miss some of the context for this, but I look at the story outline and think that, in some ways, it's not so different from some Hollywood movies recording the life of an American in the same troubled era. I can imagine elements of The Great Gatsby and Public Enemies in a Hollywood version, but I struggle to imagine Hollywood using such a strong female character.

2. Ashton Black

Chinese / HK film making has come a hell of a long way. This looks particularly good. I'll be looking out for this.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Yes they have.

Have you seen "Detective Dee"? (2010) An interesting movie set in the year 689 of the Tang Dynasty.

Very well made whodunnit with that unique Chinese mystical twist.

3. gizmo23

remake?

Looks more stylish than Ip man (2009). Is Tony Leung better than Donnie Yuen? Wouldn't like to call that one, myself.

4. jason 7

Not a huge fan of such movies.

But I actually caught the first Donnie Yuen Ip Man movie on Film 4 and really enjoyed it. Also liked the second one.

Nice when movies you wouldn't normally watch surprise you like that.

5. El Presidente

Released .... 2013 ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462900/

Only 1 year late. 1 .. year.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: Released .... 2013 ...

It's closer to two years since the film premiered 8 Jan 2013. And the US general premiere (not festivals) was 30 Aug 2013, not 2014. Most other parts of the world showed the film in 2013. The DVD/Blu-ray/Netflix release date was March 2014. The .torrents came days later.

And now UK & Ireland.

There's a good chance that UK still beat ISS and the Antarctican science posts!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Black Helicopters

Re: Released .... 2013 ...

It's because the speed of light today is pretty low when moving across the pond and airlines actually use hyperjump a bit past the Açores to get to the shores of Amurricaland. They are just not telling the customers because the reality of transdimensional jumps would be disturbing to the peace of mind of some. "Virgin Galactic", right? You think Branson might be up to something?

6. flearider

I thought I'd seen this .. great film from what I remember ..

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Grandmaster!

Not, the no holds barred punch-up between Fisher and Kasparov the bloke on the internet told me it was going to be :( DAMN YOU 5exiP1ratE78

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like