back to article Gaming's driving ambitions: The Crew and Grand Theft Auto V

If only all of life's hiccups could be solved by driving really, really fast. Luckily for Alex Taylor, The Crew's rather wet-behind-the-ears lead, that would seem to be the case. Joining the race Murder, police corruption and gang warfare are as nothing, it would seem, in the presence of torque, horsepower and, presumably, …

1. AbelSoul

I've been dumped out of the game's servers (and therefore back to the options screen) on several occasions – certainly more than times than I can gloss over here.

That alone is enough of a reason for me to give this a wide berth.

2. tony
    Happy

Social Gaming...

I'm getting too time poor for the investment in a social gaming experience, no matter how good something looks initially.

1. jai

Re: Social Gaming...

i've suddenly become time-poor too. i don't quite know when it happened.

but i've found GTA Online is pretty good for infrequent visits. sure, you're not going to become world famous, but it doesn't punish you for not spending your life logged in. there aren't really any aspects that require you to grind away for hours to achieve something.

and there's a lot of fun to be had in the playlist missions if you get a good mix of other players.

3. GregC

Always online requirement? No sale.

This seems to be becoming more common, and I hate it*. Obviously it comes with the territory for multiplayer, but if I'm playing on my own, as I prefer to, there is no good reason to mandate an internet connection.

*Still very angry about Elite:Dangerous suddenly being announced as online only a month before release despite the repeated assurances it wouldn't be

And another thing.... When you're slowing a car down, you use the brakes. Therefore it's a braking point, not breaking.</pedant>

1. GreggS

Re: Always online requirement? No sale.

Perhaps they were at breaking point because they just couldn't get their braking point right.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Coat

Or if you had been using them too much and they had overheated well past their baking point?

1. Valerion

[i]Or if you had been using them too much and they had overheated well past their baking point?[/i]

So what you're saying is, they went past their baking point and therefore reached their breaking point, just as he reached the braking point?

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
            Thumb Up

Well played :)

2. Sir Awesome
          Coat

And thusly get soft enough to reach caking point?

2. jai

"no good reason to mandate an internet connection"

while that is true, i can't be bothered to go to the settings and enable/disable the wifi all the time, or get up and yank the ethernet out of the back of the ps4, so whether the game mandates it or not, these days i am in fact always online.

(obviously, if your internet provider has a tiny data cap on your usage and punishingly expensive costs if you exceed it, they yes, best to avoid online games at all)

1. GregC

@jai

It's not so much about when I'm at home - as you say, unless I actively disable wifi/unplug the cable then I'm online anyway. However I'm on the road a fair amount for work, and many hotels still (in 2014 FFS!) want to charge exorbitant amounts for internet access. These are also the times when I'm most likely to be able to have a really good gaming session if I feel like it, so if a game is always online it's going to cost me a chunk of change to play on top of what I've already paid for the game.

Plus, of course, the fact that always online is more often than not just another type of DRM getting between me and the game....

3. Tony Paulazzo

there is no good reason to mandate an internet connection.

The only working form of DRM makes for reason enough.

1. Lionel Baden

A bit unfair you have been given two downvotes.

Its a fair comment, although I have to say I would feel quite hurt if my internet was slow / non existent. But an answer to you would of been better than a downvote.

4. jai

GTA V replay value?

i'm loving going through the single player storyline all over again. all the heists offered two options, didn't they? I'm deperately trying to remember which option i chose for each the first time i played on the PS3. Hoping i'll remember when they come up, so i can choose the other one.

but even so, ever since GTA 3, there's never been a better, more relaxing way to unwind than to just jump in a car and cruise around the streets listening to the road. And with each game since, the radio has just gotten better and better.

ah Vice City, those were the days.... </nostalgia>

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Crew appears to have the same gaping MP holes as Driver-San-Francisco...

"I've also seen huge drop-offs in the number of players currently occupying the same world as me. In a game all about recruiting three other races into your crew, it's distracting to find you're all alone."

Driver-SF was a good looking title. It has a good crisp frame rate and it was less 'blurry' than other car games or shooting & driving games like GTA-V etc. But its lobby matching system was unbelievably poor for the same reasons as the reviewer notes above... Pity the Crew is more of the same!

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AC

I have to agree with you about the hype part, and I also thought your review was interesting. However; I've also spotted some items I don't agree with. For example: "X game is better than GTA V" really is in the eye of the beholder. At times I like playing Minecraft much more than GTA V but that doesn't make it necessarily better per definition.

One of the reasons why I thought the graphics in GTA V (ps3) were disappointing is because they borrowed (or used) the same graphics engine which was being used in L.A. Noire. Granted; GTA V brings much more detail to the environment, but the look and feel is pretty much the same.

My personal gripe with GTA V is the crammed up storyline. It just isn't long enough to do dive into all three characters. This worked flawlessly in GTA IV but only because all characters got time to develop. Niko had to cope with both learning you all about Liberty City and dive into the character. But as soon as you got TLAD you already knew about the basics thus could dive right into the main course. And it still provided plenty of character building. Same with TBoGT.

Story wise I enjoyed GTA IV a whole lot better. It felt like it had much more depth. And of course there was a surprise angle when you got to play certain missions again yet from a whole different perspective (it was pretty cool when I played Johnny and met up with Niko; I knew what was gonna happen yet they still managed to add new surprising elements to it).

But that magic is all gone in GTA V.

GTA Online.. its kinda cool but also pretty much ruined by R*'s constant changes. Esp. the reward system. It seems to me as if R* doesn't know shit about providing a good balanced multi-user gameplay where economy is concerned. Because right now it seems everyone has a buzzard (attack helicopter) yet few know how to use it. Wouldn't be the first time I tried to take on a mission (taking out an enemy crew for example) only to get shot down by some idiot in a Buzzard.

Its unbalanced. The whole of it. Some missions require a minimum of 2 - 3 players while they can easily be done alone while others force you to repeat your actions because you're alone ('gentry does it'; steal 2 boats. If you destroy one its game over. You need to deliver a boat, go back and deliver the other. While in other missions you can just destroy one vehicle, deliver the other and you're good).

For me the replay value of GTA V is very low.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC

@ShelLuser

Very fair reply, agree with all your points ...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oz gamers are calling for the bible to be banned:

"Withdraw The Holy Bible – this sickening book encourages readers to commit sexual violence and kill women

It's a book that encourages readers to murder women for entertainment. The incentive is to commit sexual violence against women, then abuse or kill them to proceed or get 'god' points – and now Target are stocking it and promoting it for your Xmas stocking."

https://www.change.org/p/target-withdraw-the-holy-bible-this-sickening-book-encourages-readers-to-commit-sexual-violence-and-kill-women/share?just_signed=true

Made me laugh anyway.

1. P. Lee

re: Oz gamers are calling for the bible to be banned:

So they agree such things shouldn't be available?

I would commend them on their progressiveness, but I fear they are just ignorant, like their US counterparts.

Just to be clear, corporations do not have morals. Mothers shop at Target so guess who Target will keep happy? Not the under-18's who don't spend money there and wouldn't be allowed to buy the game anyway.

Mothers tend to be reasonably pragmatic. The chances of children going on a shooting or going on a hit-and-run spree are minimal. It has minimal reward in the real world and very high risk. Abusive sex however has a much better risk/reward ratio (and to a large extent - "use and abuse" - it isn't illegal) and therefore has a much higher real-world incidence.

This is posturing on both sides. Target for removing one game and the gamers for pretending that GTA is a good thing and a shop not selling it is infringing on their "freedoms."

A pox on both their houses.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: re: Oz gamers are calling for the bible to be banned:

@ P. Lee

You do realise that the claims are actually baseless? Made by people who have not played the game, and are simply making assumptions about it?

i.e.

* There is no sexual violence. It's all consensual.

* The game does not encourage you to kill women for entertainment, in fact the opposite is the case, as killing anyone, not just women would cause the other NPC people and the police to react to your violence. So for example the police would come after you, as they would in real life.

* Killing the women provides no mechanism to 'proceed' in the game, they are simply there, as they exist in the real world.

What the game does do, as many other games do, is provide an open world environment where you the player, choose what to do. If you choose to murder women for entertainment, it is you the player that made that choice, not the games authors or publisher.

As in real life, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do something.

In other words, grow up and take responsibility for your own actions, rather than shifting blame onto other people.

Edit: Typos.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon